We booked 3 nights at this 5 star palace expecting the creme de la creme of hotels. Some mixed reviews highlighted below...
We were shown the large cocktail and tea rooms which had an opulent, formal character but as we made our way down to the 5th floor, it lost that feeling. The hallways became stale and dated and started to resemble a retirement home. There was an old musty smell that lingered in the 'billiards room'. Some people may like it that way - but we just felt it was sparse, the hotel stuck in a time warp with an urgent need of a facelift. Not a great start.
Our room was smaller than expected. The decor with a faint charm, but I felt it was chintzy. Was not expecting a room like this at the price we paid for. The room (and in fact most of the hotel spaces) had an unusual dusty layer which triggered my dust allergy. Also lots of noise above the room at 8.30am every morning. Tables and chairs were being scraped across the floor.
Bathroom was very good size - clean and well serviced. Mini bar soft drinks were free - although fridge needed defrosting. No tea and coffee making facilities in the room because it was a fire hazard and the hotel was mostly wooden apparently(?)! Room service was prompt, professional and food delicious. Wifi internet was really fast.
Prices were extortionate however - including the Afternoon Tea which a lot of people who visit the hotel come to experience. We have had Afternoon Tea in older establishments and paid a lot less. So unfortunately we missed out on this. The Cocktail bar was usually dead so we steered clear of this too.
Staff were extremely friendly, welcoming and very professional. The spa area was clean and very pleasant to use. Spectacular views of the city and sea throughout the hotel. Lots of beauty spots and gardens to explore within the hotel grounds. Breakfast was fresh and fantastic variety of foods.
Each night costing €295 for a standard double room. We were surprised to find it didn't actually meet all of our expectations at this price (and we have stayed in many fab 4 and 5 star hotels). Unfortunately not quite the 'palace' we were expecting. Few improvements to be made, otherwise a very welcoming, historic and charming stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set on cliff tops overlooking the Bay of Funchal and the Atlantic Ocean, this legendary hotel has, for over a century, been a standard-bearer for excellence. The hotel is located on 10 acres of subtropical gardens, boasts enviable access to the sea and is within walking distance of Funchal's shops, restaurants and night-life. With its reputation for excellence and discreet service, Belmond Reid's Palace is the ideal place at which to relax and be pampered. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LoveHolidays, Booking.com, Jet2Holidays , Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Belmond Reid's Palace reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Reid`s Palace By Orient-Express Hotel Funchal
- Reids Palace Funchal
- Reids Palace Hotel Funchal
- Belmond Reid's Palace Madeira/Funchal