Reids is a well known hotel icon for service and excellence worldwide and therefore I looked forward to my first visit with great anticipation. At first sight approaching it from the roadside not overly impressive but all that changes when you walk inside which is like entering a stately home -.Immaculate furnishings, chandeliers ," olde worlde" charm and staff who welcome you as if you are the most important thing to happen to them that day! Our luggage was immediately taken away by smiling and efficient staff and quickly delivered to our room a cheery welcome from the concierge team on entering and then an efficient lady who took us to the reception area ensured a speedy check-in and guided us through the hotel showing us various facilities, Restaurants,cocktail bar,games room ,billiard room,lounges,pool area and other facilities - then to our room were all amenities were shown and explained It was a beautiful well appointed room with a wonderful view of Funchal and also a pleasant sea and garden view. An enormous King Sized bed with crisp linen sheets and a choice of twenty different types of pillows (Overkill?) This attention to detail both in the room and by the staff was a feature of the hotel and nothing was too much trouble. The concierge arranged trips, got us tickets to two musical events at the Municipal Theatre ( no charge!) and was a fund of local information and advice. I could go on a lot more about the excellent spa the gymnasium (adequate) the three pools but you by now will have got the message. Make Reids a MUST GO venue
So you are saying why did I only give it a Very Good grading and not excellent?
Four reasons My partner and I are Vegetarian and none of Reids restaurants catered adequately for us. La Faune Restaurant was the worst with little choice and on the Tuesday Evening set meal Dinner Dance nothing at all!! The Cypriani Restaurant had two soups and one main course and the pool side offerings - forget it! How disappointing for a Five Star Hotel.
The second disappointment was the famous Reids Afternoon Tea -. Slow Service, Warm Tea, Doorstep size sandwiches with odd fillings, Average selection of cakes and ONE scone. all for an extraordinary high price. It brought a new meaning to the term High Tea.
The third problem arose over our terms .We had booked Room and Breakfast rate.and we do like to have our breakfast in our room on our balcony.which we did during our stay except on our last day when we went to the restaurant. When I settled our bill on the final day I was told the inclusive breakfast rate only applied to breakfast taken in the restaurant consequently I was fully charged for all breakfasts eaten in my room as an extra. When I mentioned that normally there would only be a tray charge when the rate was fully inclusive I was told this was not the case in Reids!
Finally we ate our breakfast in the restaurant on our final day where the service and food quality was not up to standard. They must have been having an off day. A very sad end to a near perfect stay!. .
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set on cliff tops overlooking the Bay of Funchal and the Atlantic Ocean, this legendary hotel has, for over a century, been a standard-bearer for excellence. The hotel is located on 10 acres of subtropical gardens, boasts enviable access to the sea and is within walking distance of Funchal's shops, restaurants and night-life. With its reputation for excellence and discreet service, Belmond Reid's Palace is the ideal place at which to relax and be pampered. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Jet2Holidays , Expedia, Hotels.com, TravelUp, Odigeo, Belmond, LoveHolidays, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, Hotel.de and HotelQuickly so you can book your Belmond Reid's Palace reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Reid`s Palace By Orient-Express Hotel Funchal
- Reids Palace Funchal
- Reids Palace Hotel Funchal
- Belmond Reid's Palace Madeira/Funchal