“Impeccable!”

Ranked #5 of 86 Hotels in Funchal
London, United Kingdom
“Impeccable!”
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Reids is a well known hotel icon for service and excellence worldwide and therefore I looked forward to my first visit with great anticipation. At first sight approaching it from the roadside not overly impressive but all that changes when you walk inside which is like entering a stately home -.Immaculate furnishings, chandeliers ," olde worlde" charm and staff who welcome you as if you are the most important thing to happen to them that day! Our luggage was immediately taken away by smiling and efficient staff and quickly delivered to our room a cheery welcome from the concierge team on entering and then an efficient lady who took us to the reception area ensured a speedy check-in and guided us through the hotel showing us various facilities, Restaurants,cocktail bar,games room ,billiard room,lounges,pool area and other facilities - then to our room were all amenities were shown and explained It was a beautiful well appointed room with a wonderful view of Funchal and also a pleasant sea and garden view. An enormous King Sized bed with crisp linen sheets and a choice of twenty different types of pillows (Overkill?) This attention to detail both in the room and by the staff was a feature of the hotel and nothing was too much trouble. The concierge arranged trips, got us tickets to two musical events at the Municipal Theatre ( no charge!) and was a fund of local information and advice. I could go on a lot more about the excellent spa the gymnasium (adequate) the three pools but you by now will have got the message. Make Reids a MUST GO venue

So you are saying why did I only give it a Very Good grading and not excellent?
Four reasons My partner and I are Vegetarian and none of Reids restaurants catered adequately for us. La Faune Restaurant was the worst with little choice and on the Tuesday Evening set meal Dinner Dance nothing at all!! The Cypriani Restaurant had two soups and one main course and the pool side offerings - forget it! How disappointing for a Five Star Hotel.

The second disappointment was the famous Reids Afternoon Tea -. Slow Service, Warm Tea, Doorstep size sandwiches with odd fillings, Average selection of cakes and ONE scone. all for an extraordinary high price. It brought a new meaning to the term High Tea.

The third problem arose over our terms .We had booked Room and Breakfast rate.and we do like to have our breakfast in our room on our balcony.which we did during our stay except on our last day when we went to the restaurant. When I settled our bill on the final day I was told the inclusive breakfast rate only applied to breakfast taken in the restaurant consequently I was fully charged for all breakfasts eaten in my room as an extra. When I mentioned that normally there would only be a tray charge when the rate was fully inclusive I was told this was not the case in Reids!

Finally we ate our breakfast in the restaurant on our final day where the service and food quality was not up to standard. They must have been having an off day. A very sad end to a near perfect stay!. .

Room Tip: Overlooking the gardens is my choice.quiet with lovely views
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank RUSSELL G
ExperienceManager, General Manager at Belmond Reid's Palace, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear valued Customer,

Thank you very much for taking the time for writing your review about your experience with us.

I would like to pass my personal along with all Belmond Reid's palace Team appreciation for the nice words you reserved us, and at the same time I would like to express my apologies for not been able to completely exceed your expectation.

Here at the Belmond Reid’s Palace we do take our clients’ comments into the highest consideration as they are a great tool to improve our service, and as we do not like to live out of our reputation, I have immediately shared your review with the deemed heads of department, so that the needed corrective actions will be taken.

I hope that, in case of another trip to Madeira, you will give us another opportunity to prove our hospitality, and please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you think that my intervention will be necessary.

Many thanks and best regards,

Madeira

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Turkish first
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2014

We have just returned from our 6th visit to Reids Palace over the last 12 years. We find it excellent in every repect. Although we booked late we got the room of our choice and were welcomed as friends. The location is stunning and the gardens exquisite. The service is impeccable and both public rooms and bedrooms are elegant. Food quality and choice is good, although we would like to see Les Faunes aspire to a Michelin star. Breakfasts offer the complete range of options and Villa Cipriani is a great restaurant for italian food.

Can't wait to go again.

Room Tip: be specific as to your wishes. they always try to please. We prefer the main building to the new win...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Deryk M
Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you very much for taking the time for sharing your feedback about your experience at the Belmond Reid's Palace.

We have all been flattered by your kind words. Is indeed a great pleasure to receive these words of vote, and without any doubt they are the spring that pushes us all to do our utmost to please our valuable customers.

On behalf of all the Belmond Reid's Palace team, I would like to express our gratitude and appreciation for your loyalty and renewed preference, and we all look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Wishing you all the best, we remain, with our kindest regards,

Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2014

We booked last minute through Sovereign, and everything went like clockwork, from the use of special lounge at Bristol airport, comfortable flights and chauffeur transport awaiting us on arrival.
Reids would normally be outside of what we would spend for a week`s break, but it was worth every penny. Nothing there is cheap, but what we got for our money was priceless. The Receptionist who accompanied us to our room gave us an introduction to the hotel as we progressed through it. With "old world elegance" amazing floral arrangements, some walls lined with the history of Reid`s and photos of famous guests who had stayed there, by the time we arrived at our room we felt most welcomed guests too.
I was amazed that all the staff with whom we had contact remembered our names and addressed us thus. The service was the best we had had in any hotel in the world.
We upgraded to a second tier room and this gave us benefits of three evening meals...one in each of the restaurants Our room,with balcony, in the older part of the hotel, was impecable, with crisp linen sheets changed daily,and a view over Funchal harbour .The food was the equivilant of top class meals coming out of the best restaurants in France....beautifully presented, with taste to savour, and always accompanied to the tinkiling of a piano. The pianist must be full time there because he plays for the afternoon teas, taken on the terrace, and a "must" ..., then later in the cocktail bar, moving on to the dining room, and back to the cocktail bar later on.
We certainly felt cocooned in a relaxed world of yesteryear, which was not in the least stuffy.
One evening co-incided with a dinner dance in the main dining room, again to the strains of a live band. The atmosphere, the food, service...everything was an evening to remember. We enjoyed local wines, the reds of which were as robust as wine from Bordeaux, and this kept our bar bill within reason.
On the leisure side there are two pools, both of perfect temperatures, one being a salt water one. The hotel is built into a cliff face, so that you can sunbath and swim right at sea level, with another small pool, or relax on the very comfortable loungers anywhere you wish...again helpful staff are on hand to pamper to your every whim! The gardens are a joy, and there are weekly tours much appreciated by those who appreciate the botanical names etc . For my husband and myself, we were content to wander around cobbled paths and appreciate what was before us. Lots of seating areas and nooks to catch the late sun.
With a state of the art gym, and beauty salon, there is no need to leave paradise.....though in spite of having a voucher from Sovereign to set against the cost of beauty treatment, I did not take advantage of this finding the prices too high for my liking.
There are outings arranged by the hotel, and though the same sort of thing can probably be bought a bit cheaper on the high street, we felt that our day out, a small group with lunch included was worth the cost.
Reid`s certainly is the place to go to.. As behoves a hotel of this class, you don`t go there to watch the pennies, but to adhere to the dress code, to relax, to step back in time yet be connected to modern life. Let Reid`s take care of you, they definitely know how to...Go there!

Room Tip: I believe that all rooms have balconies,. Those overlooking the garden on the ground floor may have...
5 Thank TwoCountryMice
ExperienceManager, General Manager at Belmond Reid's Palace, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear Valued Customer,

Thanks a lot for writing your review.

On behalf of all the Belmond Reid's Palace team, I would like to express our gratitude and appreciation for your preference.

I would also like to take the opportunity to thank you very much for the nice words you reserved us, it is always grateful and pleasant receiving these words of vote, which are the spring that pushes us to do our utmost in delivering authentic and delightful experiences to our value clients.

We all hope to have the pleasure to welcoming you back soon to the Belmond Reid's Palace soon.

Best Regards,

Maldon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2014

This was our second visit to this superb hotel and there is no doubt in my mind that we shall return. We have for a long time prided ourselves in the fact that we very rarely return to a destination unless it is one of our sailing haunts. Madeira and particularly Reid's has put a stop to that! On both occasions we opted for the charming style room as we spend very little of our day in the room preferring to be out and about on the island or by the pool. Whilst this room style is small in comparison to others it was perfectly adequate for our needs with a huge comfortable bed and a balcony. My only slight complaint is that the large wooden cupboard/wardrobe doors tend to bounce as they close and the sound travels around the older part of the building. During our stay we had guests move in and out either side of us and we were woken early in the morning on three occasions by banging doors as they either packed or unpacked. Perhaps the management could put some pads on the doors to minimise the banging?
If considering this hotel please remember that it offers old style Edwardian elegance, if you are looking for chic and modern then further along the road are newer 5star hotels that will be more appropriate. Reid's is all about dark antique furniture and impeccable service. Yes there are a few finger clicking " I've paid 5* prices so the staff are my personal slaves" about and there are also a few hilarious "cut glass" accents to be heard from the snobbery but ignore that and allow yourself to relax and be looked after by the impeccable team at the hotel and you will not be disappointed. I am truly amazed by some of the comments on this site , we found the staff to be unfailingly polite friendly and helpful all it took from us was a smile and a polite request.
We ate in all three restaurants during our week there and enjoyed them all immensely the food prices although high seem fair when compared both to the UK and other high class restaurants around the world. The wine is expensive and can easily double the price of a meal but there is a good selection of wine by the glass on the menu which is often all that is needed.
My husband and I both celebrated our birthdays whilst on holiday and the hotel gave us both complimentary champagne and flowers and I was also presented with a beautiful chocolate gateau at dinner on my day a lovely touch and very much appreciated.
From the moment we were greeted by the limo driver at the airport until the time she left us at the check-in desk at our departure I cannot praise this hotel enough. We felt pampered and looked after without the overbearing feeling that sometimes comes with this sort of establishment.
Thank you Reid's we will be back.

Room Tip: We like the old building but it is a walk to breakfast and the pools if you want to be closer ask fo...
3 Thank potion-lady
Dear Valuable Customer,

Thanks a lot for sharing your feedback.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed stay the Belmond Reid's Palace, and that you described it as a wonderful experience. Indeed delivering experiences is our core business, and is from comments like yours that we find the motivation to work harder in order to exceed our valued customers’ expectations.

Once again, thank you very much for your nice words, which for us are the right payback for all our efforts.

We all look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best regards,

Riga, Latvia
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Everything was perfect. Impressive property, huge rooms, the friendliest staff ever!!! The location is just perfect. My wife was more than happy with this place, that is the most important for me :)))

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cornelio J
Dear Valued Client,

Thank a lot for sharing your comments.

It has been a pleasure to understand that you had a delightful time with us, and that you got back home with good memories of your experiences at the the Belmond Reid's Palace.

We all hope to have the pleasure to welcoming you back soon to the Belmond Reid's Palace in a not too distant future.

Best Regards,

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014

This hotel is unique enjoying a stunning location on a cliff top amid beautiful gardens. Luxurious accommodation is complemented by delicious food and luscious wines. The staff are the jewels in the crown. They are attentive but never intrusive. The three swimming pools are first class and the Spa is sensational. We enjoyed the legendary dinner dance and experienced gourmet dining in Les Faunes as well as tea on the famous terrace. Glorious flowers, champagne and cake - all courtesy of the management - enhanced our anniversary celebration. The General Manager, Snr. Campus, leads an effective and energetic team ably assisted by Isabel and Joanna in Guest Relations. We look forward to returning next year with great anticipation. Muito obrigado/obrigada!

Room Tip: De Luxe rooms have panoramic views of Funchal and the ocean.
1 Thank GrahamJanetta
Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you very much for taking the time for writing your review.

We are flattered by your comments. These type of feedback is indeed the fuel that make us step up and walk the extra mile meet our customers' expectations.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcoming you back here to the Belmond Reid's Palace in the near future.

Many thanks and best regards,

Paris
Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

Did not stay here but due to being a travel agent. I had a look round this hotel. The hotel is very elegant with its white washed walls and antique furniture around the hallway, the rooms are all very spacious, I had afternoon tea and never seen so many yummy sandwiches and cakes and to follow was the scones with jam and cream and a pot of tea to wash to Wash it all down ,every penny was so worth it. Cream tea is served in the lounge or out on the terrace with the great views of the ocean.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Helen A
ExperienceManager, General Manager at Belmond Reid's Palace, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Valued Customer,

Thanks for sharing your review.

We have been pleased to read that you had a delightful experience with us. On behalf of all Reid's Team, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you very much for your preference.

We all hope to have the pleasure to welcoming you back soon to the Reid's Palace.

Best regards,