“Beautiful”

Best of Funchal Private Tour
Ranked #19 of 158 things to do in Funchal
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: A visit to the Botanical gardens provides visitors with the names and origins of the splendid variety of exotic flowers, vegetables, herbs and other useful plants found on Madeira.
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

We walked From funchal centre, a lovely 2kms walk up the steps off the tourist trail guided by Google maps. Once there the gardens are stunning and the cable car trip to Monte is well worth it and we'd recommend visiting here if only for the spectacular views above Funchal, really amazing to see.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

These gardens are not particularly stunning. If you find walking difficult then dont go there as it is very steep in places. The Exotic Bird Park is not good as there are a lot of beautiful birds in very small cages which I found a bit distressing.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Well the garden itself is lovely with beautiful vistas. I have been before in 2002

However, the thing that really upset me was the "exotic bird park". We were faced by cage upon concrete cage of beautiful birds. Water and food available but if they had a single leaf (some of those were dead) then they were lucky. On of the birds had been pulling it's feathers out, well I don't blame it. I cannot understand with all the available space why they can't provide a decent aviary. We couldn't wait to leave!

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Well worth a visit -can be reached by local bus. Allow at least half a day to see all the plants and exhibits. Involves quite a lot of hills / inclines so not recommeded if you are disabled.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

An enjoyable day out If you are able bodied but I wouldn't recommend to the old or Infirm as there are lots of very steep slopes and I saw many people struggling. Went here by public bus as recommended by other reviewers but Information on bus times are limited and bus company staff are rude and unhelpful so unless you have a timetable which I think can be purchased then possibly best to take a taxi If you haven't hired a car or go by cable car but this is expensive. I prefer Monte's Palace to this venue-much more to see.