“Don't (if you want to sleep)”
Review of Hotel Sirius

Hotel Sirius
Ranked #20 of 32 Funchal B&B and Inns
The Hague, The Netherlands
“Don't (if you want to sleep)”
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

We arrived in our room which we thought was ok for backpackers (not quite what we hoped for from the pictures and reviews, I'll put in some pictures) and clean enough, but the bed was horrible. It was so hard I could not sleep, trying to find a good position that would not hurt my bones. The door to the hallway did not keep the many sounds out of our room unfortunately, and when I finally got to sleep from pure exhaustion we missed the breakfast which was until ten, so I cannot comment on that. We requested another bed, and the people at the reception (although none spoke much English) were ok with us checking other rooms to see if the bed was to our liking. We saw three rooms in total, and none were refurbished or looked any better. The furniture and bathrooms are old and worn. We ended up on the first floor, where the wifi did not reach us. Also, the windows to the balcony did not close well so sound from the street is loud, especially in our room where we were next to a garage door opening and closing. All rooms did have a balcony which can be nice, but the roof terras was very nice, good view both into the mountains and towards the marina. I imagine watching fireworks here is very good. So if you are just looking for a cheap bed and good location in the middle of town, this could be your cup of tea.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank annaveer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Brecon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2013

If your looking for good value in a very central hotel that's very clean with all facilities you require then this will certainly be a good choice. Rooms are clean and functional we had no problems at all with noise as some reports have mentioned. The views from the 4th floor lounge patio area and the 5th floor sun deck are as good a view as you can get from a central area, at night it looks even better. The lounge area is very comfortable with plenty of room and is under used so there never many people there. Yes the breakfast is a bit repetitive and basic but that's included in what's a very good room rate so it difficult to complain.
The staff are always attentive but not in your face at all times they were very helpful. We would not hesitate to use again when in Funchal

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Thfc19
Reviewed 27 May 2013

I stayed at this hotel 5 nights, the room was spacious and very clean. it's very close to the centre and staff are friendly. There is WIFI only on the roof top and reception, but it didnt bother me too much as there are plenty of seats at the roof top so you can just chill there.
The only down side of the hotel was the breakfast; food and coffee weren't appealing at all, I just has breakfast the first day, the other days i grabbed a sandwich from the super market nearby and had coffee elsewhere.
I had no fan or A/C in my room, but i didnt needed either as it was a bit chilly at night. My room was on the 4th floor and the views were really nice! Similar to the views from the roof top! So, i can't complain really!
There is no doubt that when i go back to Madeira i will be staying at this hotel again!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank montsesalme
London
Reviewed 31 March 2013

Very good location close to all amenities in central Funchal, this means not having to walk up some very steep hills in this city.
Reasonable size rooms with adequate storage space and balconies kept immaculately clean. The bed was a little hard for my taste and perhaps the room could have benefited from a fridge but these are minor points.
Good sun terrace on the top floor with a comfortable guest lounge ( we had to discover it ourselves they didn't tell us at check in ).
Typical Portugese breakfast, similar fare everyday but plenty of it, what more do you need.
This hotel is very good value for money, well up the 2 star ladder, We would definitely stay here again.

Ate in the attached but separately run restaurant a few times, "dish of the day" was particularly good value, and you can even get 1/2 portions for a smaller appetite

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SJB10
Reviewed 30 March 2013

I stayed 5 nights at Sirius hotel. Although rated 2 stars, it would most definitely deserve at least another star. It is very good value for money; my room was squeaky-clean, spacious and bright, with a lovely balcony. All toiletries provided, hair-drier, phone, cable tv; computer in the lobby for guests (1 euro per hour). the only downside was the very limited choice for breakfast -- but this is really a minor point, considering how little I paid and the already great facilities.

Another great plus is the location. It's very central, in the old town. A large supermarket is at 5 mins on foot and all major bus stops on the avenida do mar and the cable car are at walking distance (about 10 mins).

Definitely recommended.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Viola_Br
England
Reviewed 23 February 2013

This is a simple 2 star hotel. I've just spent a 4 nights there and thought it was great value for money.
There is a restaurant attached but I only took breakfast there. As other reviews point out the breakfast is simple. You help yourself from a selection of orange juice, coffee, bread rolls, cheese, meat and yogurts.

There is a lounge up on the 5th floor that has free wifi, the sofa's and chairs are a little tired, some of them have plywood beneath the cushions because the springs are past it, so it's probably not an area where you're going to want to sit for hours, but to catch up with your emails for free, it's fine. There is also space on the roof with garden furniture, I took a look but the weather wasn't really good enough for sunbathing the week I was there.

The rooms are a decent size, basic but comfortable, they have a TV but no tea,coffee, radio etc. The bathroom was also a decent size, that even had a bidet. The shower was not particularly impressive to look at but the temperature was stable and the water pressure was strong, so functionally it exceeded my initial expectations.

But, the best bit - for me - was the balcony. I was in room 106 - and the balcony was circa 15Sq Metres. With a table and chairs an plenty of space. Looking up, the balconies on the higher floors we much smaller, say 4-5Sq Metres. From the edge of the balcony, I could pickup the free wifi from the lounge on the 5th floor - so that was convenient. This room is at the back of the hotel which backs onto other restaurants and you are in the heart of the town, so there can be some noise. It was Feb and I could keep the door shut, so it wasn't a problem for me. But at the height of summer, with no air conditioning, you may need the door open and it could be a problem for some people, so keep that in mind,.

If you also keep in mind that this is a simple hotel, that is very reasonably priced I think you can have a perfectly pleasant stay here. I did. If you're visiting Madeira and plan to get out each day and do things, then Hotel Sirius is a great base. But if the hotel forms part of your holiday experience and you want to lounge by a pool and have waiters fetch you G&Ts this is not the place for you.

Personally, if the price remains reasonable, I'd be hard pushed justifying ever staying anywhere else. ( I would give 10 stars for value)

Room Tip: 106 - Very large balcony - but looks onto the backs of other buildings, so not a great view.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank StayAwayEr
Reviewed 22 November 2012

OK, so the Sirius is not The Ritz BUT.....

It offers:-

1. Clean accommodation (the person who does the rooms does an excellent job EVERY day) AND is as seen in the photo.

2. The bed/mattress/bedding are spotless and was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in...even better than my mattress at home!

3. The breakfast is reasonable for what you are paying (rolls/cheese/ham/Joghurt/cereal/coffee/jam/juice).

4. The location is good for the city and buses around the island.

5. Staff are friendly/helpful but not invasively so.

Negative (but these are so minor..really!)

1. Coffee at breakfast is dire (coffee/chocory blend)....shame as reasonable coffee is not that expensive in Maderia and its what people remember of breakfast.

2. Bathroom tiles need re-grouting (but as said above are really clean).

3. Rooms at the front suffer a little from street noise as balcony door is on single (not double) glazed.

SO, would I stay here again?..For sure...would I take my partner here for a holiday break?...For sure......A nice little budget hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo