We did wonder if we had been a bit hasty in booking a trip back to the Cliff Bay so soon but we needn't have worried as it was fabulous. Last time we had a sea view room on the 6th floor and this time we had a sea view room on 3rd floor and they were both excellent and overlooked Funchal and the view is just stunning. The rooms are large, clean and fresh with large balconies and good sized bathrooms. There are tea and coffee making facilities in the room. All the things that are important to make a comfortable holiday have been thought of such as plenty of wooden coat hangers, dressing gowns, slippers, mending kits, toiletries and one thing I really love is the fact that the mirror in the bathroom demists quickly after a shower, along with a good make up/shaving mirror.
This a good hotel with excellent facilities supported by staff that are professional but unobtrusive it is an elegant and relaxing hotel. The reception staff are exceptionally good they are helpful, knowledgeable and friendly. Also the girls on the Spa reception are lovely they always smile as you pass and are friendly when they hand out the pool towels. I had an excellent facial and can recommend the spa. There are usually three daily special offers for treatments. The Espa products are lovely.
We always enjoyed breakfast and the variety of food on offer was very good. This time in particular there was a great variety of fresh fruit including strawberries and fresh pineapple. There are the usual cereals, great selection of bread and rolls and jam along with cheeses, meat, salmon etc and also a good selection of hot food.
We were booked for bed and breakfast but ate in the Rose Garden in the evening five times during our fourteen night stay with the special food and wine packages that they offer. Again there is a good selection of food.
We often had a drink in Le Cliff Bar after our meal and found the entertainment generally good. We particularly liked the strolling Saxophone player.
The pools are very good they have one at ground level which is part indoor and part outdoor, there is also a jacuzzi at this level. Plenty of sunbeds with good views. Then there is a large pool down at sea level with even more sunbeds. The pool staff are very helpful with beds and umbrellas, particularly the young girl she cannot do enough for you.
This is an excellent hotel and we had a thoroughly enjoyable holiday and will be back in the near future. We are missing the view already.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Atlantic Ocean stretches as far as the eye can see at the foot of The Cliff Bay which is perched on the top of a natural promontory. The hotel is surrounded by gardens with innumerable secluded corners and centenary palm trees extending to the very edge of the cliff face. The panorama is completed by a magnificent view over the bay of Funchal to the left of the hotel.The most influential restaurant guide in the world, the Michelin Guide, has awarded a star to Il Gallo d'Oro, The Cliff Bay's gourmet restaurant run by Chef Benoît Sinthon. This is Madeira's first and only star ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, TravelUp, Odigeo, Expedia, Booking.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel The Cliff Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Cliff Bay - Porto Bay Hotel Funchal
- Cliff Bay Porto Funchal
- Cliff Bay Hotel Funchal
- Cliff Bay Hotel Madeira
- Hotel The Cliff Bay Madeira/Funchal