My wife and I stayed for a week in July, we booked this hotel based partly on the fantastic reviews on this site. I have to say we were not disappointed!
The hotel is superb, from the moment you arrive and are greeted by the door staff who whisk your luggage away to your room to the helpful multi-lingual reception staff, nothing is to much trouble. We booked a superior room on the seventh floor overlooking the bay of Funchal and the delightful hotel gardens. The room was large and bright with full length panoramic sliding windows which open out on to your large and private balcony.
We had a double bed which was huge and a separate "pillow menu" from which you could select your ideal pillow. the room was very well appointed with a large plasma screen television with CD and DVD player, a separate writing desk and seating area were also provided. The entry hall to the room housed a large double wardrobe with lighting and a safe for valuables, plenty of good quality wooden hangers were also in evidence. the room also had tea and coffee making facilities with English brands of tea and coffee provided. A well stocked mini bar was available which included complimentary water, fruit juices and soft drinks.
The bathroom was very luxurious with double hand basins, separate bath and shower cubicle and a private toilet with bidet. Plenty of large towels were provided along with bath robes soap and shower gels. The bathroom even had speakers so that you could listen to music while you bathed.
We stayed on a half-board basis and ate in the Rose Garden Restaurant every night. The food is either chosen from the buffet or an a-la-carte menu is provided. The buffet is "themed" every night but in truth there is not a great deal of variation, however the food is freshly prepared and there is plenty of it. One of the great features of this restaurant is the lovely outside seating area where you can enjoy your breakfast and evening meal al-fresco enjoying the views of the sea and the beautiful weather.
One word of caution however, there are twenty one outside tables and these get taken very quickly, if you wish to ensure an outside seat arrive for dinner before seven thirty!
We also had the opportunity to take our breakfast in the Michelin starred restaurant, which is on an upper level also with good views of the sea, here also a buffet is available but with the added bonus of your eggs or omelets cooked to order. On the whole however there is more choice available in the Rose Garden restaurant.
The lounges and seating areas are first class with entertainment every evening which is adequate if not outstanding.
The pool and sauna areas are very nice with every facility imaginable including a separate bar and restaurant at the lower pool area. However other reviewers comments regarding the "reservation" of the most desirable sun loungers are correct and the hotel should be more proactive in their management of this issue. There are some more secluded seating areas which we particularly enjoyed overlooking Funchal and I feel more could be made of this.
All in all, this is a beautiful hotel with attentive staff. It is expensive to eat and drink here but it is after all a five star establishment and I feel that anybody staying here must accept that they will have to pay premium prices. Four euro for half a pint of beer is not cheap by any standard! ( not helped obviously by the poor euro/sterling exchange rate)
Would we return? Definitely!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Atlantic Ocean stretches as far as the eye can see at the foot of The Cliff Bay which is perched on the top of a natural promontory. The hotel is surrounded by gardens with innumerable secluded corners and centenary palm trees extending to the very edge of the cliff face. The panorama is completed by a magnificent view over the bay of Funchal to the left of the hotel.The most influential restaurant guide in the world, the Michelin Guide, has awarded a star to Il Gallo d'Oro, The Cliff Bay's gourmet restaurant run by Chef Benoît Sinthon. This is Madeira's first and only star ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Booking.com, TravelUp, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel The Cliff Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Cliff Bay - Porto Bay Hotel Funchal
- Cliff Bay Porto Funchal
- Cliff Bay Hotel Funchal
- Cliff Bay Hotel Madeira
- Hotel The Cliff Bay Madeira/Funchal