This was our second visit to Madeira and to the Cliff Bay, having visited for the first time in July 2010. Last year we stayed for 1 week, but this year booked for 2 weeks and were so glad we did.
I can only agree with previous reviews - the hotel and its staff are really excellent. We booked a superior room on the 8th floor and upon arrival found that we had been given the same room as last year - great! The room,which was very well furnished, had an excellent bathroom, and had magnificent views of the Atlantic. A real advantage of staying in one of the upper floor rooms is being able to take breakfast in the Il Gallo D'Orro restaurant. An excellent choice of buffet and waiter service, no queues for food and a very relaxing atmosphere - a good start to the day!
Whilst we had a couple of meals in the Rose Garden restaurant, we preferred to eat out in the many good restaurants close to the hotel and in Funchal. Many restaurants tended to specialise in fish and portions tended to be big and good value for money.We dined 3 times in the Il Gallo D'Orro Michelin starred restaurant, including the Saturday Dinner Dance, and thoroughly enjoyed the food, service and ambience. In fact we celebrated our 30th Wedding Anniversary with a meal in the Il Gallo and had a thoroughly enjoyable evening. On our anniversary the hotel put a bouquet of flowers in our room together with a card from the manager - a very nice thought!
We also had lunch occasionally at the Blue Lagoon restaurant, located by the ocean and the sea level swimming pool. The food was varied, well cooked and once again the service was excellent. We had afternoon tea one afternoon in the Cliff Bar and thoroughly enjoyed it. My wife has a gluten free diet and the hotel were very helpful in providing gluten free bread, cakes etc.
The Spa facilities at the hotel are truly excellent and my wife and I had several treatments during our stay.
On this holiday we took some trips around the island (East Island and Nuns Valley) and the scenery was magnificent. We also took the cable car to Monte and would thoroughly recommend that.
We have stayed in many good hotels throughout the world, and the Cliff Bay is amongst the best. We plan to visit again in the near future, and look forward to seeing a little more of the beautiful island of Madeira.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Atlantic Ocean stretches as far as the eye can see at the foot of The Cliff Bay which is perched on the top of a natural promontory. The hotel is surrounded by gardens with innumerable secluded corners and centenary palm trees extending to the very edge of the cliff face. The panorama is completed by a magnificent view over the bay of Funchal to the left of the hotel.The most influential restaurant guide in the world, the Michelin Guide, has awarded a star to Il Gallo d'Oro, The Cliff Bay's gourmet restaurant run by Chef Benoît Sinthon. This is Madeira's first and only star ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Jet2Holidays , Travel Republic (UK), TravelUp, LoveHolidays, Splitty, LateRooms, Expedia, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Hotel The Cliff Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Cliff Bay - Porto Bay Hotel Funchal
- Cliff Bay Porto Funchal
- Cliff Bay Hotel Funchal
- Cliff Bay Hotel Madeira
- Hotel The Cliff Bay Madeira/Funchal