“Lovely Hotel !”

Ranked #3 of 87 Hotels in Funchal
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
“Lovely Hotel !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

Lovely spacious Hotel, beautiful room overlooking the harbour and cruise ships. Wonderful service from Housekeeping staff
Buffet dinner good but a bit repetative,more than a week would have been too much.
When paying the bill I felt my disabled husband was being slightly patronised by the reception staff.
However the hotel is wonderfully appointed for disabled visitors it's a pity that Madeira isn't, we had difficulty navigating the cobbles and uneven pavements. Ramps paid lip service to the law, I had to lift our scooter off the pavement and up the other side once. Beware disabled travellers.

Room Tip: Sea view overlooking the harbour ar best.
3 Thank travelgran47
JanRingertz, General Manager at Hotel The Cliff Bay, responded to this review, 3 February 2012
Thank you for your feedback. I am glad you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Our buffet meals in the Rose Garden Restaurant offer a daily theme trying to cover the preferences from an international but mostly European clientele. We do our very best to offer good facilities for all our guests and offer rooms with adjustment for guests with disabilities. We tend to treat all guests equally and with no intended patronizing attitude towards any guest. I do apologize if we did not manage to live up to expectations.
Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in a near future.
With kindest regards
Jan E. Ringertz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,018)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
ENGLAND
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2012

First of all I will say this is a very nice hotel, and anyone staying will have a very comfortable stay.

However I would say that this hotel is more of a high standard 4 star than a 5 star as for me it missed some of the finishing touches.

These missing touches included:
- Being called by the wrong name for the duration of my stay (not just incorrect pronunciation completely wrong) and despite asking for it to be put right several times it wasn't and every time I gave my room number I continued to be called by the wrong name (they had taken my passport when I checked in so really no excuse).
- not being supplied with the meal vouchers I should have been when I checked in causing an issue the first time I ate in the restaurant which was very embarrassing
- I was given a 'courtesy' voucher for afternoon tea in the hotel that was truly dreadful, and I was glad I hadn't paid.
- The staff having very loud argument by the pool - very unprofessional
- also sitting by the very nice pool guests were continually disturbed by staff wheeling trolleys backwards and forwards, the area clearly doubled as a 'service' entrance' which you would not have in a true 5 star hotel - there was a choice of another pool so you can get away from this.
- My room for the most part was serviced every day and kept very clean except for 2 days of my stay where it fell well below the standard that had been set, I can only assume that it was the normal housekeepers days off, something you would not notice in a true 5 star hotel.

I will say again this is a very nice hotel and many of its guests return time after time and I can see why but I am just saying that for me, having stayed in true 5 star hotels, this does not quite match up.

My tips -
If you want nice afternoon tea go to Reids Hotel just down the road. Also if you want a bar snack type lunch Reids have a much better menu for similar prices as at the Cliff Bay (sandwich I had at the Cliff Bay one day was truly awful)
I went to Reids on my last day for lunch I had a lovely lunch and also a fantastic non-alcoholic cocktail - I can't remember what it was called but mint, mango and other citrus flavours....I wish I had discovered it sooner in my trip.
Stay at the Cliff Bay but eat elsewhere - there are many restaurants local to the hotel - much better than the buffet in the hotel.
I had a room on the 6th floor excellent view (other reviewers seem to think you need to be on a higher floor than this to get a view but my view was lovely).

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
7 Thank JAC22
Dear Madam,
Thank you for your feedback. First of all I would like to apologize for not completely living up to your expectations and any shortcomings in service delivery. I do however also understand through our previous correspondence from your tour operator that you have had strong opinions also about the aircraft, the flight and other holiday services. The Cliff Bay received during 2011 various awards for service excellence from various recognized companies and I do not have any doubts that our hotel live up to the standards to a true five star hotel. I refrain from commenting about other hotels in the island but am proud that the Madeiran hospitality tradition offers various hotels of proven excellence. Prices paid sometimes differ among each hotel and subsequently also services offered and rendered.
In case you decide to return to Madeira and The Cliff Bay please feel free to contact me to ensure the outmost detail for an excellent holiday experience.

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

My husband and I chose this hotel for a 5 day break and we were extremely pleased with our choice. It is very well kept and extremely clean. Even some 5 stars can be tatty round the edges but not the Cliff....its prisine.
The hotel is set on the cliff just outside the main town area. Its a 20 minute walk in.....downhill !! We got a taxi back for 4 euro. There are yellow buses too and a free shuttle from the hotel but this gets booked up. The hotel is very near Reid's Palace and there are a few restaurants along the road where the hotel is. One of these is FABULOUS and serves rustic homemade meals which were so tasty we went there 3 nights on the trot. (Its called the Village restaurant I think and is an old coveted red house). A 2 course meal for 2 with wine was 60 euro and portions were huge. Mains cost about 13 euro and came with rice or potatoes and fresh veg or salad. They have an amazing wine cellar too.I can honestly say I had some of the best meals of my life in those 3 evenings.
Food in the hotel is varied. The posh restaurant is just that...men have to wear a jacket and tie and main courses cost about 48 euro - we didn't bother as it seemed costly and elitist The Rose Garden does a buffet at 39 euro and the food it pretty good but its a buffet at the end of the day which we're not keen on. There is an a la carte menu and again the food was good - mains were about 19 euro. There are a few other places to eat in the hotel and we used these at lunch. The food was nice but not very varied and when I asked for a slight variation on what was on the menu it was refused
Breakfast outside in the garden is lovely as others have said. There is a wide selection at breakfast and staff are very attentive.
The rooms are excellent and very spacious. We were on the 4th floor and looked out over the sea and the town and harbour...views don't get much better.The only little gripe was the bed which was 2 small doubles zipped together with the usual ridge I hate. The top mattresses tended to move making the gap increase but the pillows and mattresses were very comfy.The beds looked huge and impressive but frankly I would have preferred a smaller real king size double. Rooms are also very well equipped with a mini bar, TV, DVD, hair-drier (although ours was broken), bathrobes and slippers.
The hotel has a good range of facilities and lots of different areas to sit and relax. There is a billiards room and table tennis down on the sea level. There are 2 play areas but for under 5's - this doesn't seem to be quite the right place for children over 5. When we visited it was quite quiet and sedate. We did think it was a great place for a lone traveller.
The spa area is excellent. The indoor pool leads to a part which is outside and they open this in warmer weather. There is also a jacuzzi. Then you can visit the spa area downstairs and this is very peaceful. There are spa areas for males and females but couples can use the male area between 12 and 3. Mind you I think I gave one naked man a shock when I entered but it all makes for the holiday experience !! In the female area there is a steam room, sauna, jacuzzi and a tropical shower. Most of the time I was the only one in there. Treatments are not too pricey and most days there was something on special offer. I had a detox wrap for 110 mins and it cost 79 euro but it was the best treatment I have ever had.
Outside you can get the lift down to the Blue Lagoon which is at sea level. There's restaurant, pool, diving centre and lots of areas to sunbathe...many tucked away behind the rocks. You can swim in the sea from here but I think you'd have to be pretty confident.
The gardens are lovely and very well maintained. There are several benches and sofas where you can sit looking out at the sea view . If you head for a sun lounger usually a member of staff would get there first with a mattress and an umbrella and ensure you are set up for the day.
Every night there is entertainment in the Cliff Bar but its easy to avoid if that's not your thing. They make lovely cocktails in the bar!
Overall this is a hotel is excellent and deserving of its rating on here.

Room Tip: Just request a sea view and most room have one
8 Thank ezz100
JanRingertz, General Manager at Hotel The Cliff Bay, responded to this review, 16 February 2012
Thank you for your kind feedback. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent holidays with us. The Cliff Bay try to offer a wide variety of services as facilities to fit an international and varied clientele. Recently the hotel received wide recognition by tour operation awards that make us continue to try to improve our hotel and services further.
Hoping to see you soon again in Madeira.
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2012

Hard to add more compliments to this hotel, it is excellent. It is not a good hotel for young people that like to party, we like that. Food is great, good parking if you rent a car, central if you prefer Lido area, taxi distance to city center or the hotel bus (good, free and on time) or a nice walk, you can swim in the sea or pools outdoors and indoors, etc.

5 Thank turistkjell
Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased to hear that you feel that the comments about the hotel correspond to reality. We serve all ages without exception and Madeira has something to offer for overone...
Hoping to see you soon again in Madeira and The Cliff Bay.
Teignmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2012

This was our first visit to the hotel and we chose the Cliff Bay based on the extremely good Tripadvisor reports. Before we had stayed at the Savoy, which has been knocked down now.
We were pleasantly greeted and, although it was midday, we were shown immediately to our room. We were upgraded by Sovereign holidays from a garden view room to a side sea room on a half board basis. We were delighted with our room which had views of the harbour and sea, extending towards the coastline in the west.
The room was clean and well maintained, and was attended to twice a day, once for cleaning and in the evening for the sheets to be turned down and a chocolate placed on the bed, together with fresh towels. Supplies for the tea and coffee making facilities were replenished throughout our visit. As a constructive criticism, there wasn’t a convenient socket for the kettle, and it had to be placed on the floor in the corner of the room between two pieces of furniture, making filling and use extremely difficult.
Breakfast and dinner were taken in the Rose Garden buffet restaurant and we found the selection and quality of the food to be excellent. Service was always courteous and extremely efficient. On the Saturday night we went to the Michelin starred Il Gallo d'Oro restaurant for the weekly dinner dance. The food presentation and quality were exceptional, and wines were selected to accompany each course. Throughout the meal a duet performed background music.
Although the Cliff Bay is situated a little out of the centre of Funchal, it is a pleasant half an hour stroll for the average person. However there is a frequent hotel courtesy bus (which must be booked in advance), and the local buses stop near the hotel. We had been to Madeira before, and had already explored the island so just wanted to re-acquaint ourselves with Funchal, and generally relax. We bought tickets for the 2 day Yellow tourist bus. This covered most of the interesting areas of Funchal and also included the picturesque fishing village of Camara de Lobos, with the enormous cliffs of Cabo Giroa as its backdrop.
Overall, the Cliff Bay didn’t disappoint, and if we return to Madeira, we would certainly stay here again. We cannot recommend it enough.

7 Thank TandMHDev
Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased to see that we corresponded to your expectations being first time visitors and having had experiences from other good Madeira hotels. Most of our sea view rooms offer fabulous views over the Atlantic and some overlooking in a distance the harbour of Funchal with its many cruise liners on call. Thank you for your suggestions and I am very pleased to see how much you enjoyed our buffet meals and our dinner dance.
I hope to be able to welcome you back again in a near future.
With kindest regards
Funchal, Portugal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

We've been there twice to sleep, and several times just to have a good bottle of wine and a snack on their terrace. Not cheap but absolutely worthwhile.
We don't stay there anymore, because we spend the whole winter in Funchal in an apartment.

Room Tip: ask not to be put on the fourth floor, because the balcony wall is so high that you don't see a...
6 Thank mollandaise
Thank you for your feedback... It is nice to have you as a visitor even if you are not staying with us. Our hotel offer services also for non residents whenever possible. Just a small correction on your "Tip"... It is not a specific floor that decides the height of the balcony walls but the room types. Side Sea View rooms many times have this characteristic... We have many great full sea view rooms on the fourth floor and side sea view rooms on other floors have the same configuration.
Bradford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2012

We booked this hotel for a break between Christmas and the New Year and were overwhelmed with the ambience and the general courtesy given by the staff. The room we booked was on the seventh floor and gave us a beautiful view of the bay of Funchal and the harbour. The room was tended to a couple of times a day, which gave us true luxury. The pillows on the beds were probably the best we have ever had as there was a choice in types on a provided brochure. The breakfasts were plentiful and as we were on the upper floor we had the choice between self service in the Rose Garden restaurant or silver service in the restaurant off reception. The world famous firework celebrations for New Year were truly amazing as they lasted for at least 8.5 mins and came after we had a reasonable Gala meal, but I would say that the ambience of the room could have been more enthralling.

Room Tip: Go for a 7th floor sea view room
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple