“Wonderful Hotel!”

Ranked #4 of 86 Hotels in Funchal
Bromley, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Hotel!”
Reviewed 1 August 2012

After reading all the reviews I was very excited at the prospect of visiting "The Cliff Bay" in Maderia. We had booked a superior room with a sea view. Maybe next time we would only book a sea view as the only extras you recieve are unlimited soft drinks - pillow menu - and meals in the Gallio restaurant. Both my husband and myself enjoyed the Rose Garden much more than the Gallio. The staff were amazing at the Rose Garden especially Paula and Katya - wonderful. I must mention Bruno who will make an amazing hotel manager one day - keep hold of him Cliff Bay he is excellent!
The gardens are immaculate all over the hotel. The music during the evening was also superb.
We went on three excusions with Thomsons - don't both with the guilet which we picked up at the airport - not worth the money. The trip around the West side of the island was amazing well worth a visit. The other trip was on the cable car and the tabogganing - great fun. I also enjoyed going on the red bus to Cameria des Lobos - what a lovely place.
Yes this really is a first class hotel and we can't wait to return next year!

Room Tip: Don't go for a superior room - request a sea view
5 Thank JudySherlock
JanRingertz, General Manager at Hotel The Cliff Bay, responded to this review, 22 August 2012
Thank you for your feedback. It was nice to hear that you enjoyed our Rose Garden restaurant and our staff members that we value very much. The Superior rooms are allocated on the 4 highest floors with a slightly more modern decoration than the other rooms. They are nowadays actually our most popular room category.
You did very well to visit the island. Madeira has much to offer and a beautiful nature. Personally I am very fond of the organized trips on the Atlantic where you many times can see both dolphins and whales.
I hope to see you back soon again.
Jan E. Ringertz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,074)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Funchal, Portugal
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Hello guys! I want to tell you the story, wich has happened in this Hotel. The Hotel was ok, especially the nature and the views were really exciting! But the attitude of the staff was a little bit strange... We travel a lot and every year and we can compare with another places. You know... the most important thing in each property is the skills of the staff to do your vacaition good or terrible. Unfortunetly it was the second variant. So, 21.07. we have done chek out from Cliff Bay and the representative of the Hotel from the reception desk has called the taxi. He was given tipps money and we have left. But the taxi-driver has brought us to the wrong place, has taken 10 euros and has vanished in one moment. We have asked his collegs about this man and they told us, that this driver is known as a unprofesional and the best way is to go to the polic staition and write the clime. I thougt it is not my business to improve the public transport in this town and we went back to our Hotel, fortunatly (or no!) this driver has brought us only some meters from the Cliff Bay. Our Hope was - the help of the staff, who has called this taxi for us. The staff on the reception desk knew the number of this car and they have promissed us this driver will never have served their guests. I have a suggestion we were the members of the evil experiment of the Cliiff bay's professional crew:-)))). By the way, we were with our child!!!! We asked them to call another car for us, wich will bring us to the correct place, but the people in Cliff Bay said that they holdn't any responsibility for the public transport, even we have taken that in the Hotel and even the driver has brought us to wrong place and have taken money for his job. So, we went walky with three suit-cases and our child to the taxi station, than we have taken another car, have paied again, and nobody from the Cliff-bay Hotel has helped us in this situation. They all do the face, that all this doesn't concern them and is happening not in Cliff Bay. So, they may do in such way, wich they find correct and good, but in my opinion is - they are absolutly wrong, why the Hotel has 5 stars and they should respect the guests and could bring us to our destination and tackle the problem with the driver later. The price of the question was only 10 euro and now I will write this review in four languages and the guests will read that and I am sure my review can be very usefull for the people, who want to plan their vacaition, when not only the nature but even the professional attitude of the stuff is important for them. When the manager of Cliff Bay want to answer me, I ask him so much, dont write such things, that he is really very sorry and so on, and I ask him to find the best solution. Thank you for your attention!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Ekaterinaamadei I
Thank you for your feedback. I am sad that we did not manage to correspond to your expectations and that we did not manage to communicate with you in a satisfactory way. Your comment here does not seem to describe much of your stay or holiday experience but merely of an incident with a taxi driver. The Cliff Bay does arrange taxi transfers from the airport and on guided tours with drivers that we certify.
I do not know of any hotel that certify public independent taxi drivers, or that can guarantee that a public transportation leave any guest in accordance with its preferences. The same way we do not assume any responsibility of comfort regarding flights, bus excursions or any other visit like restaurants, museums etc.
Despite this experience I hope you enjoyed your stay in Madeira and hope to return to this beautiful island.

Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Like many people, after our first visit to the Cliff Bay last summer we just had to return (and I suspect we will be returning for many years to come). If you want loud music, loads of activities/animation team, lots of kids and plates piled high with chips then this is most definitely NOT the hotel for you. If you want a hotel where most of the guests are older couples, quiet, relaxing days by the sea and fine dining then this is the place for you. Days by the pool are calm and totally relaxing, nights are the quietest I've ever known! Plus gorgeous rooms, comfortable beds and beautiful, well-equipped bathrooms. The Rose Garden buffet meals are lovely, with so much choice and the Il Gallo D'Oro dinner dance was a truly lovely evening. However, as everyone says, the thing that makes this place truly special is the staff. I don't think I've ever been to a place where the staff are so welcoming, from the lovely pool guys/girl to the waiters and waitresses - nothing is too much trouble. We had a Funchal facing sea view for the second time and will definitely booking the same view again. I really don't think there is a hotel in Funchal to match the quiet elegance and superb welcome of the Cliff Bay.

Room Tip: Full sea view rooms are well worth the money!
5 Thank thepigandthefrog
Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. At The Cliff Bay we welcome all guests no matter age or origin. We do by tendency have a higher middle age clientele but also offer facilities for families, young couples and many other guests.
Our hotel has a very privileged position overlooking the garden and sea so many nice views can be found.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2012

This was our first visit to Cliff Bay and we paid for an upgraded room with a sea view. We really enjoyed it and agree with all the good things that have been said about it by other reviewers. A very nice ambience, good quality food and service and professional staff. However, we did feel a bit let down on one main aspect: When we checked in on the Monday, we were given a room directly above The IL Garro D'Oro restaurant which as it turned out was being refurbished during our stay. The noise was horrendous. We thought it was emergency repairs taking place and would be short lived but after enquiring at reception discovered that the restaurant was being refurbished and that the noise would continue until the Saturday. This meant that 6 of our 7 days would be spent listening to drilling, hammering and sawing whenever we were in our room. We complained and our complaint was dealt with efficiently and we were moved to another room on the other side of the hotel. But it does beg the question : why allocate a couple who are on holiday such a noisy room in the first place, given that there were other rooms available?

Our stay was very enjoyable and I can't praise the staff enough, always polite, courteous and efficient. However, our first impression of Cliff Bay was not good and given everything we'd read about this hotel it has to be said that we were disappointed. Had we not complained and been prepared to live with it, we would simply have been left to suffer and have a ruined holiday.

Room Tip: Worth the upgrade to a sea view
7 Thank Mop52
Thank you for your feedback. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I do apologize for any inconvenience caused by the repairs at Il Gallo d’Oro. Our Michelin starred restaurant needed urgent repair and due to the extended drying times of material we anticipated the renovation scheduled for December. Our hotel is running to almost complete occupancy for which we need to occupy all rooms as well as limit the works as much as possible during the day when our guests our out in the island and by the swimming pools. During this period we can offer our finer dining by the pool level as an alternative.
I am pleased that the changing of room made your holiday a most enjoyable one.

Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2012

I have been back to the Cliff Bay many times and I have never been disappointed. ALL the staff are courteous, helpful and happy and every time I walk in the door I feel instantly at ease. You just know that nothing would be too much trouble for this incredible team and even my minor niggle of noise from a nearby hotel had fast, more peaceful results. It's a biggish hotel but you never feel crowded or rushed anywhere on site and you simply have to try a massage in the spa. I've been to other 5 star hotels but none of them match up to the experience that is the Cliff Bay. Oh and in case you were wondering, this hotel is open all year round and so whenever maintenance has to be done, it is done quietly and without fuss or inconvenience. OK it's not cheap, but it sure is worth saving up for. It's on the edge of the city but the courtesy bus runs frequently if you don't want to stroll into town along tree-lined streets or through the park. Stroll the other way and you'll find many cafes, restaurants, the lido, the Madeira Forum shopping centre and the beautiful cliff esplanade. The worst thing I can say about this hotel... it's a wrench to leave it.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking Funchal harbour get sun in the morning and city lights at night Rooms towards the...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Chrys13
Thank you for your most generous feedback. I am delighted that we managed once again to correspond to your expectations. We are a medium sized hotel with 200 rooms that offer wide facilities but at the same time is small enough to have personal touches. Our main objective is to be inspired by our guests and the needs of the visiting holiday maker.

Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Every time you return to the same hotel, there is a risk to spoil your previous impression, also the life is short and there are so many interesting places in the world. But second time we chose Cliff bay in didn't regret. I won't comment about the property itself though it is very good. The things that really make difference are employees. They are very proffessional and have really personal approach. On check in we had an issue with a room that doesn't correspond to our expectations - we are mad about sea views - and the room was on the second floor looking into the garden. Though the hotel was almost full we received another room (higher category) with fantastic views on the next day when it was available. Personal thanks to Carla - Front Office manager - who took care about us. She showed a perfect example of how issue can be reverted to positive experience and make guests more loyal to the hotel.

4 Thank Alexander P
Thank you for your feedback here at Tripadvisor. I am pleased that we managed to correspond to your expectations and to “steal” you away from many other exciting destinations. I am glad that Carla Bacanhim – Front Office Manager managed to solve the situation with the room. She is a most valued employee with much experience in our hotel.
I hope to be able to welcome you back many more times in Madeira and The Cliff Bay.

Echt, Limburg, Netherlands
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Hans & Elise,

I will not describe all the outstanding facilities that Cliff Bay offers. For this just refer to the website.
I want to talk to you about the feeling that a stay at the Cliff Bay gives us.

We have both demanding and sometimes stressful jobs.
That’s why we mostly need a few days to acclimatize before we are used to the idea of having holidays.

However, not when we visit the Cliff Bay.

From the first minute of arrival you got the perfect holiday experience.
The extremely helpful and kind Staff does anything to make your holiday succeed.
Combine this with the perfect seaside location, excellent food and beverages, top wellness and all the other stuff that makes this a perfect hotel and you will understand that we met guests that told us that this was there twentieth visit already.

Room Tip: Seaside or garden side is a pre.
4 Thank Hans R
Thank you for your feedback. It is funny how one sometimes recognise the words of holiday expectations. Many times we have busy professional people staying at our hotel and we are delighted to see them arrive stressed and leave relaxed. Isn’t that just what holiday is supposed to be..?
It is correct that we have many guests returning to our hotel (almost fourty percent) and many guests have actually stayed with us more than twenty times. I hope that you will be one of them.

Hoping to see you soon in Madeira.