“Standards Have Not Fallen”

Hotel The Cliff Bay
Ranked #4 of 88 Hotels in Funchal
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I was so impressed by Cliff Bay in 2012 that I decided to book a 10 day holiday for August 2013 from which I have recently returned.
Standards are every bit as high as they were last year. Comfortable and spacious guest rooms are well serviced - including delivery of fresh fruit, a carafe of drinking water and item of confectionery on a daily basis. Staff are very friendly and helpful and nothing is too much trouble for them.
I enjoyed the buffet breakfast each morning in 'Rose Garden' Restaurant. There was a comprehensive range of hot and cold foods - the presentation of which was very attractive - and a Bucks Fizz before breakfast is available if you care to partake.
Last but not least I thought that the 'Welcome Back' card in my room was a lovely personal touch.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
7  Thank Jamieboy769

Reviewed 1 September 2013

Just returned from a fab week with wife and 16yo daughter .. Had a garden room to save a couple of hundred pounds on the holiday but could still see the sea so that was a bonus. Rooms are first rate, service, second to none, Staff top of their game. When we got picked up at airport the driver congratulated us for picking the best hotel on the island and he didn't even work for them.. He was right. We were B&B there are loads of restaurant nearby and in the town .. 3 of us ate for about 55 euro a night.. The hotel restaurant was a bit too expensive for our budget. Pool service was excellent just push the button and someone comes to your subbed and takes your order, worth the extra price on the drinks I think.. Would go back and would recommend to anyone who wants something that little bit special.

Room Tip: Free bus takes you into town .. Taxi back costs just over 5 euro
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Maddogmcg
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Our party comprised my wife and I, our two children (both under 10) and my parents. We had three cliff bay view rooms (two of which were interconnecting).

I cannot recommend this hotel strongly enough as it is amongst the best hotels that I have ever stayed in. The location, accommodation, facilities, food and service are superb and we will definitely return at some point. Even though there were only a small number of children at the hotel they were pretty well catered for.

Room Tip: We had cliff/sea views which were magnificent.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Tim R
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Stayed for a week in June 13. Superb room, very attentive staff, fantastic food. All in all GREAT ! The facilities are second to none. Free internet. 20 mins walk into Funchal town, and lovely seafront walks nearby. A very safe location, with no thumping discos etc. Mainly an 'older persons' hotel perhaps, but very relaxed/classy without being 'snobbish'. Everyone is polite and considerate. Cannot fault it, and want to return.

Room Tip: Higher floors best with a view towards Funchal.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ActionmanKent
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Just back from another great holiday,at the cliff bay. It's our fourth visit,the staff are attentive
And nothing is much of a bother,just ask,and you tend to get whatever it is you need,brilliant hotel,it's the only place I have ever wanted to return to,again and again
The chill palace that is THE CLIFF BAY. Superb.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank dufc
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Our first trip to Madiera - wanted it to be special as a gift to my husband for his 50th birthday in October. We both loved what we saw of the island as wanted a chill out holiday - The Cliff Bay hotel was everything we wanted and more.
The staff were all very attentive and friendly particularly Victor in the waiting staff team.
Food was also excellent, hotel was spotless clean and the room was large and spacious.
Our room looked out to the entrance of the hotel and had a sunny balcony in the evening.
Following on from the trip advisor reviews I would like to say we would return to The Cliff Bay in the future.

Room Tip: You can pay extra for a sea view but we would prefer the room overlooking the entrance to the hotel...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank blackwoodb
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I have now stayed at the Cliff Bay 5 times and am returning again in February. The hotel is large and spacious with lovely rooms. The staff are exceptional and will do anything to help you out. The facilities are superb and as I am getting older, I seem to expect far more!

The food is superb and the whole experience is such that you don't really want to leave the hotel. Madeira itself is very special and one of the most beautiful islands I have ever seen (and I come from Bermuda!). Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to have a view - it's which one you prefer. North facing, less sun and mountains...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends