This was our third stay at the Cliff Bay and I am sure it will not be our last. Unfortunately there were a few things this trip that if it had been our first stay, we might have been put off from visiting again.
Firstly we had issues with our heating and the room was extremely cold the first night we arrived. At first they made out it was due to the balcony doors not being shut - they wouldnt - as soon as you pushed it shut on one side it pulled the other side open! Not something I worried about security wise as we were on the 7th floor but you should expect to be able to lock your doors! Once that didnt work we complained again and they did send up maintenance to sort the problem.
The second issue was around feather-free bedding, due to asthma I have an allergy to feather bedding and on previous visits I have had a blanket and a sheet on the bed - it is beyond me that a 5 star hotel does not seem to possess hypo-allergenic duvets! Anyway, due to the cold room we requested an additional blanket from the receptionist on our way out for our evening meal. She was busy preparing the invoices for the next day (this was Sunday evening before change around day on Monday), she didnt stop what she was doing but she said she would request it.
Unfortunately, I didnt check before getting into bed what it was they had put on the beds - yes, they had added a feather duvet! I had to get dressed and go down to reception and request a non-feather blanket - they didnt seem to know where to get blankets from, but the night porter/doorman was despatched and arrived at my door with....... a feather duvet!!!!
I sent him away and as it turned out I was just about warm enough without the extra duvet. The next day we were brought a blanket which I added to my bed.
However, I recommend if you need feather free bedding that you check and double check that your request has been noted - and request a hypo-allergenic duvet, maybe the more people that request it, the more likely the hotel is to actually provide them.
We also found on this visit that our room was not cleaned until after 2pm each day - our preference is to have the room sorted whilst either at breakfast, or whilst out in the morning so there were a few occassions where we were back in the room when they wanted to clean it.
Apart from these issues the stay was wonderful, the balcony and view are gorgeous, the breakfasts amazing and the beds (once the bedding is sorted) are very comfortable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Atlantic Ocean stretches as far as the eye can see at the foot of The Cliff Bay which is perched on the top of a natural promontory. The hotel is surrounded by gardens with innumerable secluded corners and centenary palm trees extending to the very edge of the cliff face. The panorama is completed by a magnificent view over the bay of Funchal to the left of the hotel.The most influential restaurant guide in the world, the Michelin Guide, has awarded a star to Il Gallo d'Oro, The Cliff Bay's gourmet restaurant run by Chef Benoît Sinthon. This is Madeira's first and only star ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , TravelUp, Alpha Holidays Limited, Booking.com, HotelsClick, Expedia, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Hotel The Cliff Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Cliff Bay - Porto Bay Hotel Funchal
- Cliff Bay Porto Funchal
- Cliff Bay Hotel Funchal
- Cliff Bay Hotel Madeira
- Hotel The Cliff Bay Madeira/Funchal