“Nice one!”

Hotel The Cliff Bay
Ranked #3 of 88 Hotels in Funchal
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Having been a regular traveler to Madeira over the years and stayed a few nice hotels I thought I would try out The Cliff Bay for the first time. Located only a few minuets drive out of Funchal and with superb views of the bay and coastline, the hotel is well positioned on many fronts!
I arrived early evening with a taxi paying 38 Euros and was checked in quickly and then escorted to my very nice room with views over the ocean. After spending much of the on a plane I put some walking shoes on and ventured down to the town for a bit to eat and some fresh air. The room was well decorated with plenty of space in to unwind and cupboards to hang cloths. A good night sleep was interrupted by the beautiful sun saying good morning to me! I put on my gym cloths and headed down to the indoor pool and gym. The facility is ideal, perfect size and as one fellow gym user said "how good is this".........well a good work out and nice swim made me ready for a good breakfast! The breakfast buffet was a delight with even a few nice bottles of local Champagne to prepare a good Mimosa with......the food was fresh, full of tropical fruits and a good mix of breads, cereals and egg dishes to set us all up for the day!
With a full tummy full, I was set for a day of Levada walking on the stunning island, one of my favorite activities and a great way to really see and explore Madeira, well apart from sampling a few drops of the local wines or a game of golf on the stunning courses.
The choice of The Cliff Bay proved a great decision and one I can calmly recommend! The hotel has a good mix, 3 pools and when the Atlantic is calm and warm, great to swim in. Perfect for families or even a romantic couple, you won't be disappointed with very friendly staff who are always looking to please you. Keep smiling must be their motto!

Room Tip: The hotel offers a range of meal packages which I must say were pretty good and excellent value...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank JohnTGN
JanRingertz, General Manager at Hotel The Cliff Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am delighted that our team at The Cliff Bay managed to make your stay memorable. Madeira is a beautiful destination with much to offer. Funchal nearby is a typical Portuguese city with Atlantic inspiration.
I hope that your stay with us was a taste that you enjoyed enough to return in a near future.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

Stayed in this hotel for 5 days , large hotel , rooms with either a view of the mountain , pool view or sea view, I had the sea view with a great balcony to sit out and enjoy the scenery, the bathroom has a nice size bath with shower , with towels that are changed daily with shampoo , conditioner and soap. The breakfast is on the main floor where the food is plenty for. The fruit I have never tasted anything like it,so fresh and tasty. Taking a lift down to the sea is amazing where you can take a swim where a protector is there to stop you going out to far due to the sea being strong with the tide.
I'm a travel agent and they used this as a base to look around many other hotels , the cliff bay has two sister hotels where you can dine and they are the Porto mare and the Eden mare, both amazing as been to them too.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Helen A

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. A travel professional is always someone with a large experience in hotels. Our breakfast has plenty of fruits and we have many flowers in public areas, as this is typical from Madeira.
Our sister hotels are also very nice and I hope that Porto Bay Hotels & Resorts have something to offer for everyones taste.
I hope that we get the pleasure to welcome you back in a near future.
Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed 25 February 2014

This was our third stay at the Cliff Bay and I am sure it will not be our last. Unfortunately there were a few things this trip that if it had been our first stay, we might have been put off from visiting again.

Firstly we had issues with our heating and the room was extremely cold the first night we arrived. At first they made out it was due to the balcony doors not being shut - they wouldnt - as soon as you pushed it shut on one side it pulled the other side open! Not something I worried about security wise as we were on the 7th floor but you should expect to be able to lock your doors! Once that didnt work we complained again and they did send up maintenance to sort the problem.

The second issue was around feather-free bedding, due to asthma I have an allergy to feather bedding and on previous visits I have had a blanket and a sheet on the bed - it is beyond me that a 5 star hotel does not seem to possess hypo-allergenic duvets! Anyway, due to the cold room we requested an additional blanket from the receptionist on our way out for our evening meal. She was busy preparing the invoices for the next day (this was Sunday evening before change around day on Monday), she didnt stop what she was doing but she said she would request it.

Unfortunately, I didnt check before getting into bed what it was they had put on the beds - yes, they had added a feather duvet! I had to get dressed and go down to reception and request a non-feather blanket - they didnt seem to know where to get blankets from, but the night porter/doorman was despatched and arrived at my door with....... a feather duvet!!!!

I sent him away and as it turned out I was just about warm enough without the extra duvet. The next day we were brought a blanket which I added to my bed.

However, I recommend if you need feather free bedding that you check and double check that your request has been noted - and request a hypo-allergenic duvet, maybe the more people that request it, the more likely the hotel is to actually provide them.

We also found on this visit that our room was not cleaned until after 2pm each day - our preference is to have the room sorted whilst either at breakfast, or whilst out in the morning so there were a few occassions where we were back in the room when they wanted to clean it.

Apart from these issues the stay was wonderful, the balcony and view are gorgeous, the breakfasts amazing and the beds (once the bedding is sorted) are very comfortable.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hannahsheffield

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I have taken careful note of your requirements and if you decide to return to our hotel, please contact us previous to your arrival and we will ensure that you have the bedding in accordance with your preferences and needs. I do apologize for any confusion that we should have been able to resolve with more elegance.
I hope that we get the pleasure to welcome you back in the future.
Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

Lovely situation on seafront with views to harbour.Excellent accommodation- both in rooms and public areas. Lovely food. Very courteous and efficient staff.
Enjoyed our 2 week stay here- good base from which to explore the island.

• Stayed: February 2014
4  Thank DocrobScotland

Thank you for your kind feedback. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.
I am looking forward to welcoming you back in a near future.

Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

This hotel is truly 5* in every respect
The rooms ,food , service and atmosphere. We enjoyed the spa the pool ,all the jacuzzis , both restaurants and the bar !The staff made sure we had the best of times
And if we asked for anything it was done almost before we had finished asking. A truly wonderful relaxing holiday and we will be back :)

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank kat59_12

Thank you for your kind feedback. We am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and that we managed to correspond to your expectations. We have many returning guests and I hope that you soon will become one too.
Looking forward to welcoming you back in a near future.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

From stepping off the plane into a warm climate (by comparison with Scotland in January!), to 15 minutes later sitting in the taxi on the way to Funchal, it is as stress free as travel can get, and a big reason why we return to Madeira. Another reason is the Cliff Bay Hotel. Service with a smile, beautiful rooms, pre breakfast swimming, a range of areas to hideaway even when the hotel is near to full, and for us, the right location. Like so many others, we return again and again; long may it continue.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Malcolm M

Thank you for your kind feedback. We are very proud of our staff members that do their very best to satisfy even the most discerning guest. I am glad that we managed to correspond to your expectations.
Looking forward to welcoming you back in a near future.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

Since we reviewed this hotel last we have been two more times and another visit is already planned. Every day there is another day in paradise. The percentage of returning visitors here is higher than anywhere we have ever known because the standards throughout the hotel are exceptional. Cliff Bay has the best beds and bedrooms, staff who are efficient, kind and caring, a brilliant setting with luxurious public spaces filled with flowers, superb food in a variety of restaurants and first class leisure facilities. Even though the hotel is often full or almost full there are always places where you can relax in peace. This is a true five star hotel.

Room Tip: Decide which view / direction you would like.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Peter B

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad that you are back and that you enjoyed your stay. It is true that our hotel work with very high occupancy. It is very important to book early to guarantee space.
I hope to see you soon again in Madeira.