“Utterly Stunning Hotel & Grounds”

Hotel The Cliff Bay
Ranked #3 of 87 Hotels in Funchal
United Kingdom
“Utterly Stunning Hotel & Grounds”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

This is a little piece of heaven. The grounds around the hotel are absolutely gorgeous and so well maintained. Lots of seats here and there so you can find your own little peaceful place.

The hotel is located in a quiet area of the town and an easy enough walk to downtown Funchal.

The breakfast spread was simply astonishing. Everything you could wish for ( including champagne). A vast variety of hot and cold choices including omelettes made while you wait. Foodie heaven.

Service from staff is quite exceptional. Everyone was polite & accommodating.

Our room was spacious, bright, very comfortable, clean and had a lovely view towards Funchal.

Pleasant bar and attractive restaurants within the hotel. Evening meals, to be honest, weren't quite as good as we would have expected ( especially for the prices charged).

The pool areas were lovely to spend time around. We spent the start of the week at the upstairs one ( part of which is indoors) but found the lower pool area to be nicer, more spacious and more sheltered from the brisk breezes. The lower pool area has a casual beach type restaurant which was great for using during the day.

We sampled their afternoon teas on day and it was such a treat ....delicious .... I'm sure it would give the Savoy, Ritz etc in London a run for their money !

This hotel really is a treat to stay in with the most stunning floral displays in the main public areas.

We'd happily return here for a relaxing holiday.

3 Thank anne8527
JanRingertz, General Manager at Hotel The Cliff Bay, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we managed to correspond to your expectations. Our hotel has a privileged location with many services and facilities.
I hope of the pleasure to welcome you back in a near future.

Jan E. Ringertz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,017)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Dunblane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

Lots of grey-haired people strolling around but the hotel was great! Superb breakfast in the Michelin-starred restaurant. Great bar service with cocktails. Lots of places to sit outside and feel a bit private. A bit chilly sometimes in February but we had a nice room with a bay view. Comfy beds. Overall, a true 5*

3 Thank George W
Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and consider us a true five star hotel. Many gray-haired people could actually be myself walking through the hotel… The Cliff Bay try to serve all ages however average is a little higher in winter season.
I hope to welcome you back in a near future.

Penarth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

The Cliff Bay Hotel surpassed all expectations. Our first time in Madeira and truly the overall quality of The Cliff Bay Hotel was exceptional. The rooms were excellent, cleanliness of the facilities was faultless and the friendlyness of all the staff did not go unnoticed.
We would highly recommend eating at the Michelin star Ill Gallo Doro restaurant at the hotel. This said the standard of food throughout was of a very high standard ( breakfast in particular) . Difficult to find any fault.

Room Tip: The views from rooms looking onto the harbour are wonderful. Although the hotel has an excellent DVD...
2 Thank Gwil R
Thank you for your feedback. I am very pleased to read that we surpassed all expectations. This is our goal for all our visitors to The Cliff Bay. I am pleased that you enjoyed Il Gallo d’Oro and the friendliness of our staff.
I hope of the pleasure to welcome you back in a near future.

Hornchurch, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

Having been to this hotel before, we know that the service and standard is always very good.

The rooms are very good and clean. The staff welcomed us back and were very friendly for the duration of our stay. We enjoyed the variety of food on offer. This is our fifth visit and highly recommend this hotel.

4 Thank Diane W
Thank you for your feedback and for returning to our hotel. I am pleased to hear that the services and facilities that we offer correspond to your expectations.
I hope to welcome you back in a near future.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

Having been a regular traveler to Madeira over the years and stayed a few nice hotels I thought I would try out The Cliff Bay for the first time. Located only a few minuets drive out of Funchal and with superb views of the bay and coastline, the hotel is well positioned on many fronts!
I arrived early evening with a taxi paying 38 Euros and was checked in quickly and then escorted to my very nice room with views over the ocean. After spending much of the on a plane I put some walking shoes on and ventured down to the town for a bit to eat and some fresh air. The room was well decorated with plenty of space in to unwind and cupboards to hang cloths. A good night sleep was interrupted by the beautiful sun saying good morning to me! I put on my gym cloths and headed down to the indoor pool and gym. The facility is ideal, perfect size and as one fellow gym user said "how good is this".........well a good work out and nice swim made me ready for a good breakfast! The breakfast buffet was a delight with even a few nice bottles of local Champagne to prepare a good Mimosa with......the food was fresh, full of tropical fruits and a good mix of breads, cereals and egg dishes to set us all up for the day!
With a full tummy full, I was set for a day of Levada walking on the stunning island, one of my favorite activities and a great way to really see and explore Madeira, well apart from sampling a few drops of the local wines or a game of golf on the stunning courses.
The choice of The Cliff Bay proved a great decision and one I can calmly recommend! The hotel has a good mix, 3 pools and when the Atlantic is calm and warm, great to swim in. Perfect for families or even a romantic couple, you won't be disappointed with very friendly staff who are always looking to please you. Keep smiling must be their motto!

Room Tip: The hotel offers a range of meal packages which I must say were pretty good and excellent value...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank JohnTGN
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am delighted that our team at The Cliff Bay managed to make your stay memorable. Madeira is a beautiful destination with much to offer. Funchal nearby is a typical Portuguese city with Atlantic inspiration.
I hope that your stay with us was a taste that you enjoyed enough to return in a near future.

Paris
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel for 5 days , large hotel , rooms with either a view of the mountain , pool view or sea view, I had the sea view with a great balcony to sit out and enjoy the scenery, the bathroom has a nice size bath with shower , with towels that are changed daily with shampoo , conditioner and soap. The breakfast is on the main floor where the food is plenty for. The fruit I have never tasted anything like it,so fresh and tasty. Taking a lift down to the sea is amazing where you can take a swim where a protector is there to stop you going out to far due to the sea being strong with the tide.
I'm a travel agent and they used this as a base to look around many other hotels , the cliff bay has two sister hotels where you can dine and they are the Porto mare and the Eden mare, both amazing as been to them too.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Helen A
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. A travel professional is always someone with a large experience in hotels. Our breakfast has plenty of fruits and we have many flowers in public areas, as this is typical from Madeira.
Our sister hotels are also very nice and I hope that Porto Bay Hotels & Resorts have something to offer for everyones taste.
I hope that we get the pleasure to welcome you back in a near future.

East Riding of Yorkshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

This was our third stay at the Cliff Bay and I am sure it will not be our last. Unfortunately there were a few things this trip that if it had been our first stay, we might have been put off from visiting again.

Firstly we had issues with our heating and the room was extremely cold the first night we arrived. At first they made out it was due to the balcony doors not being shut - they wouldnt - as soon as you pushed it shut on one side it pulled the other side open! Not something I worried about security wise as we were on the 7th floor but you should expect to be able to lock your doors! Once that didnt work we complained again and they did send up maintenance to sort the problem.

The second issue was around feather-free bedding, due to asthma I have an allergy to feather bedding and on previous visits I have had a blanket and a sheet on the bed - it is beyond me that a 5 star hotel does not seem to possess hypo-allergenic duvets! Anyway, due to the cold room we requested an additional blanket from the receptionist on our way out for our evening meal. She was busy preparing the invoices for the next day (this was Sunday evening before change around day on Monday), she didnt stop what she was doing but she said she would request it.

Unfortunately, I didnt check before getting into bed what it was they had put on the beds - yes, they had added a feather duvet! I had to get dressed and go down to reception and request a non-feather blanket - they didnt seem to know where to get blankets from, but the night porter/doorman was despatched and arrived at my door with....... a feather duvet!!!!

I sent him away and as it turned out I was just about warm enough without the extra duvet. The next day we were brought a blanket which I added to my bed.

However, I recommend if you need feather free bedding that you check and double check that your request has been noted - and request a hypo-allergenic duvet, maybe the more people that request it, the more likely the hotel is to actually provide them.

We also found on this visit that our room was not cleaned until after 2pm each day - our preference is to have the room sorted whilst either at breakfast, or whilst out in the morning so there were a few occassions where we were back in the room when they wanted to clean it.

Apart from these issues the stay was wonderful, the balcony and view are gorgeous, the breakfasts amazing and the beds (once the bedding is sorted) are very comfortable.

1 Thank Hannahsheffield
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I have taken careful note of your requirements and if you decide to return to our hotel, please contact us previous to your arrival and we will ensure that you have the bedding in accordance with your preferences and needs. I do apologize for any confusion that we should have been able to resolve with more elegance.
I hope that we get the pleasure to welcome you back in the future.