I was fortunate to end up in this hotel - it really was bliss!
I can't add too much to earlier reviewers comments, but endorse the view that the staff are really lovely.
There are other 5* hotels in the vicinity,but they don't all stretch down to the waters edge as this one does and the ambience is superb. Full marks to the interior designer.
My top tip-try and book Room 734-it has a really good -sized balcony with sunbathing ledge-and looks out over the sea and the hotel grounds. It catches the sun all day long (I suppose some might like a parasol on hot days)Room 732 would be a good option too,having a view of the harbour and the sea-oh ...and the room itself was excellent!
There are three super-efficient lifts so access isn't an issue.
There was music each night from different, above average musicians in the stylish bar.
I used The Rose Garden restaurant a couple of times for a buffet-style dinner.
This was used by the majority of guests and booking a time at reception is suggested.
The offerings were wide-ranging and of excellent quality.
There are other more formal options in the hotel and also good local style restaurants nearby.
The hotel-owned shuttle bus is very popular and runs several times a day (booking a seat at reception for the 9.15 and 10.00 am is advisable). It is actually a full -size coach that the hotel uses, so don't think you'll be a sardine in a cramped mini bus! It collects guests from the nearby sister hotel Porto Mare also.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Atlantic Ocean stretches as far as the eye can see at the foot of The Cliff Bay which is perched on the top of a natural promontory. The hotel is surrounded by gardens with innumerable secluded corners and centenary palm trees extending to the very edge of the cliff face. The panorama is completed by a magnificent view over the bay of Funchal to the left of the hotel.The most influential restaurant guide in the world, the Michelin Guide, has awarded a star to Il Gallo d'Oro, The Cliff Bay's gourmet restaurant run by Chef Benoît Sinthon. This is Madeira's first and only star ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Expedia, Alpha Holidays Limited, LoveHolidays, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Hotel The Cliff Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Cliff Bay - Porto Bay Hotel Funchal
- Cliff Bay Porto Funchal
- Cliff Bay Hotel Funchal
- Cliff Bay Hotel Madeira
- Hotel The Cliff Bay Madeira/Funchal