“A very high standard”

Ranked #3 of 87 Hotels in Funchal
Llanrwst, United Kingdom
“A very high standard”
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We recently spent 5 nights here hoping for sun and relaxation. On arrival we were greeted by the concierge, checked in and given our room keys. Our bags were delivered to our room as our car was parked for us in the car park.
The room we were given wasn't really to our tastes and at the very end of the hotel. We decided to seek an alternative room the following morning. We were shown the only other 2 rooms left in the hotel and choose one on the 7th floor with a large sea view that suited us fine. The room was more expensive than the only originally booked but reception informed us there would be no extra charge which was very nice of them. We now settled in to enjoy our stay.
The breakfast's are delightful, easily the best choice and quality I have ever enjoyed. The hotel facilities are also to a very high standard and the extremely polite and pleasant staff are a credit to the hotel.
My wife was very ill one morning and the staff and management were very caring and helpful, calling the doctor and getting a prescription. Thank you so much for your assistance.
I would say that most of the clientele are retired and in their golden years so it's not a place I'd recommend to anyone in the younger crowd.
In summary an excellent hotel that is spotlessly clean and worthy of its 5 star's, it's reputation and returning guest's.

Room Tip: High level 7th floor, sea views.
4 Thank RichieLloyd66
JanRingertz, General Manager at Hotel The Cliff Bay, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. The Cliff Bay has a wide range of room categories that facilities specific location inside the hotel. We are very proud of our staff that I believe is one of the unique success factors of our hotel.
I am sad to hear that your wife was ill and hope that she got better rapidly.
I look forward to welcome you back in a near future.

Jan E. Ringertz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,013)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Have just returned from a second holiday at the Cliff Bay since a heart attack in February 2013. It was everything we expect from one of the very best hotels we have stayed at (we are both approaching 80). Great room overlooking the twinkling lights of Funchal. Great breakfast and some equally great evening meals in the Rose Garden. Had my birthday in the Michelin-starred Gallo D'Oro,

The staff are brilliant, and treat us like old friends returning. Couldn't be better. Stayed at a Heathrow hotel, but unfortunately my Honda Accord broke down on the home journey. It did not take the shine off a brilliant fortnight in our favourite hotel. We have already booked for Christmas.

Room Tip: We have always chosen the Funchal Sea View although it is more expensive than those overlooking the...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Anthony H
Thank you for your kind feedback and for your confidence in hosting your stay. I am delighted to hear that you had a good holiday when you returned back to our hotel again. I am pleased that you enjoyed our restaurants and that our staff made you feel “at home”. Sorry to hear that you Honda gave you an additional “holiday experience”, but despite this it seems that you arrived well back home again.
I look forward to welcome you back in the beautiful Christmas time.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

Have stayed in the Cliff Bay on another visit to Funchal, second time didn't disappoint. The staff were accommodating and helpful without being intrusive. The hotel has every amenity that you could wish for and the whole ambience ensures that you get the most from your stay. Another great visit and will go back and if possible stay in other Porto Bay properties if the opportunity arises.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Nicholas h
Thank you for feedback and you positive comments. I am glad that we managed to correspond to your expectations on this your return visit. Porto Bay Hotels & Resorts offers many different properties in Portugal and Brazil. I can comfortably recommend any of them as they are all quiet exceptional in their own ways.
I do however hope of welcoming you back to The Cliff Bay and Madeira Island.

Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2014

As good as others say it is. The sun-bathind decks are perfect, the service swift and friendly. The rooms are large and very comfortable. We decided to stay here for 5 nights rather than staying somewhere cheaper and less-good for 7 nights. We needed a break, just to switch-off, and it was 100% what we needed.
Go for a sea view room if you can - the views are inpinted in my memory now, just amazing.

Room Tip: Get a sea view room - it is worth the additional expense - the views are stuning.
4 Thank Jimmyb1186424
Thank you for feedback. I much agree with you regarding the rooms with views despite all rooms of the hotel are appreciated. I am glad that you enjoyed the service we offer. Madeira has great conditions for nice holiday breaks.
I hope that we get the pleasure of welcoming you back in a near future.

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We stayed here for a week in March having got a very good deal through booking.com. We had an excellent room facing east overlooking Funchal harbour and picking up the sunrise. The buffet breakfast in the Rose Garden was really good with the best selection of fresh fruit we have seen in any hotel - try and get a seat outside in the morning sun. The week we were there a falconer was flying a couple of harrier hawks which seemed to keep everybody entertained. The only downside (and it's not a big one) was that the first night we were there we had the buffet dinner which we found a bit uninspiring and relatively poor value. As they change the menu every night I think we were just unlucky but it did encourage us to eat out where we found some excellent restaurants in walking distance.
If/when we come back to Madeira we will definitely stay in the Cliff Bay.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking Funchal harbour are good and don't get the full sun from about 10.30 at th...
3 Thank BlackCat19722014
Thank you for feedback. I am glad you had a positive impression of our hotel. Our hotel has many rooms with fantastic views. The morning sun is very special. The hawk is a popular attraction and much appreciated.
I hope that we get the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Lincoln
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We choose this hotel for the good reviews on Tripadvisor and because we also have a relative who highly recommends the Cliff Bay as the place to stay when visiting Madeira. I booked the flight and hotel independently and saved at least £ 200 on the "inclusive tour" price and that included the private transfers. We chose a Top Floor room as we do like our creature comforts and we were not disappointed. Our room-723 had lovely views over Funchal, we had early morning sun and the weather allowed us to sleep with the doors open and listen the the noise of the sea, I don't think I have slept so well in a long time. When I return I would consider requesting a top floor room overlooking the Garden, but still with a sea view as you would get the late afternoon sun, but you may also get some noise from the Cliff Bar as this is located just beneath, but I can not imagine it would be either very loud or very late. Top floor rooms are more contemporary, have free soft beverages, fruit and flowers and great views, you also get a choice of where to have breakfast.
The Rose Garden - has a fantastic selection to choose from, nothing is too much trouble and one day they had Avocado - which I adore, on another occasion no Avocado so I asked if it was possible and of course it was. On our last day at the hotel the Avocado was delivered to our table within minutes of arriving. We also had breakfast in the ll Gallo d'Oro on two occasions and although much quieter I don't think that there was as much choice and the " A La Carte " choices were disappointing especially the Eggs Benidict- very watery eggs and quite frankly tasteless.

We skipped lunch every day because we had had a long and leisurely breakfast. Dinner choices are varied, you can opt for the Rose Garden Buffet, why would you have a buffet in a 5 star hotel? Personally this was the down side for me, I can understand a buffet for starters and desserts but main courses No! Meat and fish were dry from sitting under warming lights, veg was overcooked. On Sunday they have a Portuguese evening and you are constantly disturbed by the entertainers who try to "drag" you from your table and your food to join in - again not something that sits comfortably with me. We paid €40 per head including wine and water for this and it's not really value for money. It does become Value for Money when you use your voucher to eat in Le Bistro, the menu is limited but the food is excellent and wine and water can be included, the down side is that it is just outside the Cliff Bar and there are a lot of people walking backwards and forwards. I am going to write to the Hotel and suggest that they screen that area off to give a bit of atmosphere and exclusivity to the Bistro. Finally the Michelin Star ll Gallo d'Oro - Fantastic. We only went there once and that was our big mistake. definitely worth a visit or two. Saturday night is a "Dinner Dance" at no extra cost and it was really very nice, good music and everyone joined in, good value for money too especially if you take the drinks package with your meal.

The grounds of this Hotel are outstanding and there is a lot too them. We stayed away from the sea level area because of the cooling winds, but this is a large area with plenty of sun beds. The area around the indoor/outdoor pool and Oasis Bar is great and semi sheltered, but this may get full in the busier times but there are so many places to relax it really doesn't matter where you are.
We did use the Spa for a treatment, very good value for money. I chose a Deep Tissue Massage with Hot Stones- 1hr and 10 mins but I was there for at least 1 hr and 25 mins - €99 but oh was it worth it! There are the usual, sauna and stream room too that you can use if you book a treatment. I can imagine that would be a good option on a cooler day, but as our weather was almost perfect we did not find time or need to use a sauna. If you like Tennis there is a very good court available- hardly used really- just make sure you have the right shoes! I played in my Running shoes and found it very "sticky" and I should have known better!
Well that it folks, if you do choose this Hotel have a great time. If something is not quite right let them know and they will sort it out if they can. If you are not on a B&B package, buy a couple of vouchers for Le Bistro and ll Gallo d'Oro and then I would eat out. Oh and about eating out. There are Restaurants to the left of the hotel - mainly Italian and there are some to the right too. For a better choice and some fantastic food, walk (approx 1.5 miles) or take a bus/taxi to the Cable Car Terminus and then walk directly behind this, towards the old town and wander around the lanes. There are some lovely restaurants. A taxi back will cost approx €8.

Room Tip: I believe the extra you pay for a top floor room is worth it. You'll get a fantastic View.
2 Thank HappySue
Thank you for complete description of your stay. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. The Cliff Bay offers a wide selection of services and facilities to cover the expectations of our many visitors. Our Buffet in the rose garden is very much appreciated and if one prefer a la carte this is also an option as well as the gourmet a la carte in our Michelin starred Il Gallo d’Oro.
The Bistro does not offer the same comforts as our fine dining options and the menu is more limited. It is however a popular option for informal dining.

Knokke-Heist, België
Reviewed 19 March 2014

We stayed here for a week in March 2014 and were very pleased with our stay. Breakfast was good, alot of choice. Hotel staff was very friendly (they were also very helpfull booking 2 trips). Views over the ocean and the city of Funchal are amazing. The hotel has good facilities all over.

Prices for most things are on the higher end but that's usually the case with hotels of this type (for example massage in the spa cost 79 euro, a coffee cost 4 euro). The spa area was ok, but for the steep prices they charge I would excpect more of it - why don't European hotels get how they should make Spa's? They often put the Spa in the basement of the hotel or something... make it top floor with nice views in the treatment rooms :)

We really had a great time at this hotel and would come again if we were to visit Madeira again.

One negative point was that when we visited the Gallo D'Oro michelin starred restaurant I was wearing denim jeans and they kindly requested me to change clothes. But since I did not bring anything else than denim I was not allowed to revisit the restaurant (they did allow me in that evening). It wouldn't bother me if this was mentionned on their site or something but this wasn't the case (they just mention you have to wear a jacket), I have visited many michelin starred restaurants before and never had a problem wearing denim jeans (with a jacket)...

2 Thank Christophe00
Thank you for feedback here at Tripadvisor. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I have taken careful note of your comments that we will take into consideration for the future. I hope that we get the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future. Madeira is a very beautiful destination with much to offer.