Hotel The Cliff Bay
US$305
US$194
Elvoline
3,168 results
All reviewsrose gardenmichelin star restaurantil gallopollofunchal viewle cliff barsea levellower poolpool stafftop floorwonderful hotelreturning guestssea waternothing is too much troublespa areadress codespa treatments
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 April 2014

This was our first stay at the Cliff Bay hotel, we had been recommended to stay there by friends. The service was excellent, all the requests we made were efficiently carried out. Our room with partial sea view looking towards Funchal was spacious and most comfortable. I am neurotic about noise and I can report the room was quiet, no inter room noise ! I imagine it is best to avoid the rooms over the bar or anywhere near the bar as they may well suffer from noise.
The hotel situation is lovely and scenic.
The food was very good if a little expensive, but never the less worth it.

Best summed up....we will be going back, guaranteed !!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank DPG
JanRingertz, General Manager at Hotel The Cliff Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Regarding room preference our side sea view rooms are located in lower floors while top floors are a guarantee to be located further away from bars and restaurants.
Madeira is a beautiful destination with much to offer. I look forward to welcome you back to Madeira and The Cliff Bay.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

My husband & I visited for the 1st time last week - we had toyed with Reids next door, which is renowned, but opted for Cliff Bay on the basis of their facilities - boy, are we glad we did! After driving past it a few times we spotted the sign..........and the experience began. A doorman unpoaded our bags & parked the car for us. We were checked in very quickly, and shown to our room (luggage followed). We had a superior seafacing room - perfect. Bathroom is fabulous - within it a separate shower, bath with shower over, and a glass cubicle for the loo & bidet. Good range of toiletries, and gown (which we wore around the spa area). Everywhere we went staff from the handyman, to the cleaners, waiting staff, pool staff, reception & doormen were all smiling & said hello. Not at all forced. Most definitely 5 star standard, but at the same time very relaxed. We didn't try the Mitchelin star restaurant (we couldn't get in........worth pointing out that gentlemen require a jacket &/or shirt & tie. Another restaurant doen't allow flipflops. Lunch restaurants are more relaxed. Towles are provided by the pool, and there are ample loungers. Beautiful arrangements of flowers are dotted all over the hotel. WE had an orchid in the bedroom, and fresh flowers in the bedroom. As for the breakfast buffet - quite simply the best we have ever sampled - I defy anyone to not find something to their taste. Many fruits, breads, pastries & the usual hot & cold fayre, fresh waffles & pancake too. Sparkling wine flows freely if so desired, and some local hooch. We travel extensively and Cliff Bay is up there with some of the top hotels we have stayed at. We particularly liked indoor /outdoor pool and spa area. We pretty much stayed around the hotel and Funchal in general, trying out local restaurants & the pub across the road (Hole in One), which was great for live music & people watching. We did pop into Reid's, which we found quite jaded and it confirmed for sure that we made the right choice with Cliff Bay. We dined in Reid's Italian restaurant - when I came back from the loo y husband said that he had spotted the difference between our hotel & Reid's. 'What?' - 'none of the staff here are smiling' - he was spot on. I kept looking for flaws - there were none! Minor critique - I don't especially want bathroom scales on holiday, but that is the worst I could come up with! We can't wait to go back, and next time for more than 5 days. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: We had a superior seafacing on the 8th floor - excellent.
6  Thank Elaine L

Thank you for your kind feedback. I am delighted to hear that we managed to correspond to your expectations. Our objective is to offer good facilities, excellence in service in a relax environment.
I very much look forward to welcome you back to Madeira and The Cliff Bay.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

I met an old colleague just a week before we were going to Madeira in Feb.2014. He asked me what hotel we were going to. When I said the Cliff Bay, he immediately said "Great, the best hotel in the world." This might be a slight exaggeration overall, but in terms of value for money in five star hotels I think it is exactly right.

We have been to Madeira 8 times and stayed in the Cliff Bay on five occasions and we are going back in three weeks.

In terms of staff attention and friendliness, rooms, facilities and food the Cliff Bay is superb and I would recommend it to anyone without reservation.

A very minor complaint would be that, as a regular visitor to the hotel, the evening entertainment, although generally of high quality, tends to follow the same pattern every week with the same artists but, I emphasise, it's a minor complaint.

Do try lunch in the restaurant down at sea level--very relaxing, although it does spoil you for dinner in the evening.

Room Tip: We generally prefer Funchal view.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank JohnC22332
JanRingertz, General Manager at Hotel The Cliff Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Thank you for your very kind feedback here at Tripadvisor. I am pleased to hear that you hold our hotel so highly. To say that we the best hotel in the world would be pretentious, but we try to offer memorable holiday experiences for all our visitors. We are very proud of our staff and the beautiful island of Madeira.
We all look forward to welcome you back for another memorable stay at The Cliff Bay…

With kindest regards,

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Just returned from our third holiday at this hotel, obviously we love it. We chose a room with a full sea view as we like to have the sun on our balcony during the day The beds are especially comfortable. Anna our chambermaid was a delight and so efficient We did eat out more this year than in other years, why, we love the starters in the Rose Garden they are varied and delicious, the puds are predictable, but the main course is where we had difficulty. No we don't want British dishes, just a better selection of meats. We did find the vegetables which are now kept in open dishes much better. We loved the steak in the bar, it was cooked to perfection so that was a good alternative. Of course we will be back, hopefully our 91 year old friend who was with us will be back too.

3  Thank Jimaggie

Thank you for your feedback here at Tripadvisor. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and that you managed to have a relaxing holiday. The beds are quite comfortable and a differentiating factor in all Porto Bay hotels. Your feedback is appreciated in our attempt to always improve further our hotel.

Hoping to see you soon again in Madeira.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

We recently spent 5 nights here hoping for sun and relaxation. On arrival we were greeted by the concierge, checked in and given our room keys. Our bags were delivered to our room as our car was parked for us in the car park.
The room we were given wasn't really to our tastes and at the very end of the hotel. We decided to seek an alternative room the following morning. We were shown the only other 2 rooms left in the hotel and choose one on the 7th floor with a large sea view that suited us fine. The room was more expensive than the only originally booked but reception informed us there would be no extra charge which was very nice of them. We now settled in to enjoy our stay.
The breakfast's are delightful, easily the best choice and quality I have ever enjoyed. The hotel facilities are also to a very high standard and the extremely polite and pleasant staff are a credit to the hotel.
My wife was very ill one morning and the staff and management were very caring and helpful, calling the doctor and getting a prescription. Thank you so much for your assistance.
I would say that most of the clientele are retired and in their golden years so it's not a place I'd recommend to anyone in the younger crowd.
In summary an excellent hotel that is spotlessly clean and worthy of its 5 star's, it's reputation and returning guest's.

Room Tip: High level 7th floor, sea views.
4  Thank RichieLloyd66

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. The Cliff Bay has a wide range of room categories that facilities specific location inside the hotel. We are very proud of our staff that I believe is one of the unique success factors of our hotel.
I am sad to hear that your wife was ill and hope that she got better rapidly.
I look forward to welcome you back in a near future.