“You won't be disappointed”

Hotel The Cliff Bay
Ranked #4 of 88 Hotels in Funchal
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Great standard of hotel, with super facilities, friendly helpful staff. Our only disappointment was with the evening meal...we tried the buffet on the first night and was very disappointed, it was not a 5* experience. Lunch in the blue lagoon was always good, and with great service. Would definitely recommend this hotel

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank warobbo
JanRingertz, General Manager at Hotel The Cliff Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay, our staff and our facilities. I am sad to hear that our buffet dinner did not correspond to your expectations. The Rose Garden is our most popular restaurant for dinner. A la Carte service is available also at night in our Michelin starred Il Gallo d’Oro and in our Bistro.
Thank you for recommending our hotel and I look forward to welcoming you back in a near future.
Yours Sincerely,

There are newer reviews for Hotel The Cliff Bay

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Just got back from spending a week at this fabulous hotel with my wife. This is a return visit to this hotel that we discovered some years ago - courtesy of Trip Advisor. As usual the service from the staff was excellent in all areas; something that may hotels seem to not attend to as they should (in my view). The room was excellent - large, well maintained and beautifully clean. Food was again very good with a choice of from the Michelin starred through to the waters edge pool side eatery which gives a great choice on site if you don't want to travel to any of the nearby restaurants. Our room was a side sea view this time ( at least I believe it was) which gives cooler mornings and makes the most of the most of the sun in the afternoon and latter part of the day. All amenities were well maintained and, from my wife's experience, the Spa was well up to its usual high standard. there was some small scale construction work on site to extend the outside dining area whilst we were there. This should be finished now (after Easter) but the builders were very quiet (and very hard working) so there can be no cause for concern (or complaint) about the work that was going on. If you are looking for a great place to stay on Madeira with good access to the city and the wider Island as well as great on site facilities then you really should try this hotel. We will certainly be back.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GTSSurrey

Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We offer a wide range of facilities and services from Michelin starred food to Spa treatments by renowned brands like Espa. The Cliff Bay is open 365 days a year so any repairs maintenance and improvement has to be made throughout the year with outmost care not to cause disruptions. We are delighted that we managed to increase our outside breakfast service areas for the benefit of future guests without any cause of inconvenience. When you return you will have more possibility to have breakfast outside overlooking our gardens and sea.

I look forward to welcoming you back…

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed 16 April 2014

My wife and I agree wholeheartedly with all of the very positive comments made by reviewers of this hotel. Although full, there was never a sense of being so, the calm atmosphere and helpful nature of the staff helped with this.
We were happy to have booked the superior room and felt privileged to be part of the Cliff Bay experience.
Unfortunately this was marred on the final morning of our stay, a Monday with new staff on duty, when the maitre'd on asking our room number explained that we should not be breakfasting in the Il Galo d'Oro as this was reserved for residence of the 7th, 8th and 9th floors. On explaining that we had done so for all of our stay, he grudgingly allowed us in, stating that obviously his colleagues had made a mistake!
My wife and I were most embarrassed by this incident and it left us with a very bad impression which was not justified by the rest of our stay. As the hotel was full we can only assume that the superior room status had been extended to lower floors, unfortunately it would appear that not all staff had been made aware of this. A major blunder on the part of management.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank UttoxeterEddie

Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted to hear that you agree with all the positive reviews and that you had a most enjoyable stay. Unfortunately due to the anonymity of tripadvisor I cannot trace your reservation to be able to give a most correct answer. I have sent my personal contact details to you by message so I hope to be able to clarify as some points in your review is not completely clear for me.
All guests having paid for our superior rooms / top floors and suites have access to either of our breakfast rooms without any further supplements. The superior rooms are allocated on floors 6-9 as well as our penthouse floor 10th. Guests staying in Landview, side sea view, sea view rooms have breakfast included in the Rose Garden without supplement and have the possibility to use Il Gallo d’Oro against a fee.
I am sorry to hear if there was some misunderstanding or badly clarified. Naturally we have no intention of causing embarrassment to any of our guests.
I hope that your overall experience was not overshadowed by this misunderstanding and I hope to receive by e-mail some further details so that I can clarify any doubts.
Looking forward to welcoming you back to Madeira and The Cliff Bay where no efforts will be spared to make your holiday a most enjoyable one.

Yours Sincerely, I remain

Reviewed 15 April 2014

First trip to Madeira travelling as a family of four. Outstanding 5 star hotel. Fantastic facilities and a superb spot overlooking the cliff surrounded by beautiful gardens. The hotel was full but felt far from it. We stayed over the Easter holidays so there were quite a few children. Generally though the guests are 50 plus. The hotel boasts an indoor/outdoor heated pool and a salt water pool at the bottom of the cliff with lots of sun loungers in both areas. The breakfast buffet was superb. The rooms were larger than average with a sitting area, enormous bed, tea and coffee making facilities, fridge, tv, dvd player and balcony. There is a kindergarten room for children suitable up to about 10 years of age. There are lots of restaurants within walking distance if you do not want to eat in the hotel. A courtesy bus runs into town which you book at Reception. It takes about 20-30 mins to walk. The free wifi connection worked anywhere within the hotel and its grounds. All in all a fantastic holiday. We were well and truly spoiled and wouldn't want to stay anywhere else in Madeira.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Donlon2014

Thank you for your feedback. Easter is a nice period in Madeira with more families on Easter break. I am glad that you found our facilities and services to your liking. I am glad that you felt spoiled… is that what holidays is all about...?
I hope to see you and your family soon again in Madeira.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

We were lucky enough to stay in this hotel for a week in March. From check-in to check-out the whole experience and services the hotel offered were utterly outstanding. They deserve praise.
Room - we had a sea view room which was so spacious, clean, tidy and an absolute joy to stay in. The bathroom was like having our own private spa. The shower was a dream each day.
Breakfast. What can I say? Out of this world! You name it, the hotel provided it. I've never seen so much food and of such high quality.
Setting - The website doesn't really do the hotel justice. We never realised how many places we could visit in the hotel! We actually spent a few days not venturing far because the hotel offered it all! The hotel is cared for so well too. The gardens are beautiful and the added touch of having the lobby smell of fresh flowers every day is really superb.
Spa - One regret is that I didn't get the names of the staff who gave us our treatment in the spa. That way I could have written in separately to tell the hotel how brilliant they were. We booked the private suite and had a full body massage. The two ladies were excellent in every sense and it was honestly the best massage of my life!
Service - The staff were so helpful and the added service they offer guests is really wonderful. I got the impression they really cannot do enough to make guests' stays enjoyable.
Overall - if you can, book this hotel! I'd go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Minty2238

Thank you for your very generous feedback. I delighted to hear that we managed to correspond to your expectations. You mention various areas of our hotel from the rooms, food and beverage to the spa. We are very proud of our staff members and cannot wait for the pleasure to welcome you back in a near future.
I hope to see you soon again in Madeira.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

We went as a couple for a bit of early season sunshine. Never been to Madeira before. Hotel just picked off the internet. Had many good reviews.

Great spot lovely views. All the staff especially good, attentive, easy going and pleasant.

We had a minor issue with the room which was dealt with reasonably quickly. Nothing major that should put you off from going

The food was very good in the bistro and especially in the main Michelin star restaurant. Excellent value too. The garden restaurant dinner was not great on the evening we went there.

Plenty of nice restaurants around the hotel and the centre of Funchal is a pleasant walk away.

You will not be disappointed if you go. It did take us a while to get our head round other guests walking around in their hotel supplied dressing gowns - which we did not - but hey what ever floats your boat I say!

Room Tip: Get a sea view room if you can. It's a beautiful sight first thing in the morning
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank hopesprings_7

Thank you for your feedback. I glad that we managed to correspond to your expectations. The sea view rooms are with beautiful view over the Atlantic Ocean. We offer a wide array of services and facilities and I am pleased that you enjoyed Il Gallo d’Oro and our Bistro.
I hope to see you soon again in Madeira.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

Great service, great location, lovely room, lovely view, lovely breakfast. The hotel is very quiet and guests are mostly friendly 50+. We and our children, age 7 and 10, have a wonderful and relaxing holiday.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Vania M

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased that you and your family enjoyed your holidays in Madeira. I hope that we will be able to welcome you back in a near future.