“A Truly Superb Hotel”

Ranked #4 of 86 Hotels in Funchal
Chester, United Kingdom
“A Truly Superb Hotel”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Stayed at this hotel for 7nights from 21st April. The hotel is very much 5* and whilst this is reflected in the prices charged it remains good value for money. We ate in the main buffet restaurant every night and were not disappointed. Each night has a different theme and the food was varied. We had a lower priced room which was a little smaller with a restricted view but were still quite happy. Next time we would go for a room with a full sea view and perhaps forego half board as this certainly appeared to be the popular choice. The major factor however in our view was the standard of the staff. Everyone without exception from the reception staff, those in the restaurant and bars, even to the room attendants were courteous, helpful and appeared intent on ensuring that you enjoyed your stay. I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank cgjhol
JanRingertz, General Manager at Hotel The Cliff Bay, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Thank you for your kind feedback. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We are very proud of our staff and I am pleased that our buffet selection in the Rose Garden restaurant was to your satisfaction.
I hope to see you soon again in Madeira.
Jan E. Ringertz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,074)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Once again my sixteenth visit in fifteen years says it all; this is a lovely, relaxing holiday hotel. This time I noticed further improvements and changes as Cliff Bay look to keep their five star image, some I liked, some not so keen but overall you see the hotel trying to offer the best environment possible.
As I have mentioned before, I go regularly because you feel part of a Club atmosphere, familiar faces, familiar routine and the same familiar quality service everywhere. That said, there does appear to be an ever increasing number of transient holidaymakers who feels they are entitled to be the focal point wherever they maybe, whether in the dining or breakfast room or poolside and the staff are to be treated liked ‘slaves’ to their every need. Nothing is too much trouble to any of the staff, senior or junior and as such they should be treated with the respect they deserve.
It is a family hotel and caters for all ages BUT Madeira is not particularly suited to children and with the hotel average age in the high forties, there are few children at any one time.
A change I think that needs to occur is the introduction of a Concierge, at least during the high season. It is unreasonable to expect the reception area to handle incoming and outgoing guests and the residents’ questions; the residents naturally not being interested in those coming and going and sometimes the simpler questions take longer to answer because of the wide range of nationalities at the hotel. One for Mr Ringertz!
Look forward to my next visit.

Room Tip: After I have booked mine.....a room with a view over Funchal is a must.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Alan P
Thank you for your feedback and for letting us host your stay so many times. I am delighted to hear that we together with the beautiful island of Madeira managed to make you return once again. I have taken careful note of your feedback and let’s see what the future brings.
Looking forward to welcome you back in near future.
Tampere, Finland
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We were in this hotel one week in beginning of April. The room was marked limited sea view and it was at same level as Reception (2nd floor). The room was nice as we knew, because we have been in this hotel some times earlier too. The only thing we didn´t like was the disco under this room. You couldn´t sleep before they finished the music in downstair.
The hotel was ready to change the room, but we had unpacked two big suitcases and we were tired, not ready to start to pack again. So we "enjoyed" music until midnight every night. So this is my advice: don´t take rooms near the reception on 2nd or 3rd floor otherwise you will get evening music as an extra. By all other ways the hotel is 5 star hotel: good service, breakfast with sparkling wine and good varieties of food. Cleaning was perfect as well as all extra services we needed. The laundry made a mistake when I asked to wash my trousers. It was marked water wash but they made chemical wash and the trousers were not any more useable. The satellite canals were quite limited. When at this time there were two big sport events: Formula 1 race and good football mach you have to go to library to watch The Formula race, but at the same time there came also football. Then it came engineer who change the canals, but F1 start was over. Anyway I can recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Pls read my review: Not rooms near the Reception on the 2nd or 3rd floor. They are noisy because of...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Riisto
Thank you for your feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I have taken careful note of your comments and for future stays and guests I would like to try to clarify. Our Side Sea View rooms are all located on lower floors. Higher floors include sea view and top floor rooms. Being a full service hotel we offer many times dinners, breakfast outside as well as we have entertainment in our bar. Some of these activities can be associated with noise. The hotel does not have any disco.
I do apologize for the service from out laundry and the missed F1 start. We are in the process of reviewing our British TV channels as they have been taken of the covering Satellite.
I hope to get the pleasure to welcome you back in a near future.

With kindest regards,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Chose this hotel on the basis of previous Tripadvisor reviews and the hotel lived up to expectations. We stayed on the 7th floor with fantastic views of Funchal Bay in a superior room.

Being on the 7th floor gave us privileged access to restaurant Gallo D'Or for breakfast and free soft drinks in the minibar. The food at all meals and service were consistently excellent and we had a great time sightseeing by taxi, taking separate trips to the a East and West of the Island.

We will most certainly return.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank OtelInspector
Thank you for your feedback. I am glad that the Tripadvisor reviews were of help and that you refer us a great hotel with great service. You made a great choice in one of our superior rooms where you get some of the little add-ons.
I hope to be able to welcome you back in a near future.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We had lunch at this hotel on a visit to Funchal in April this year. We were staying at the sister 4 star hotel in the old town and decided to check out The Cliff Bay 5 star hotel for lunch. We were not disappointed , the food was amazing and the service excellent. We had lunch in the beautiful garden overlooking the sea. We were able to take a look around the interior of the hotel and it certainly did not disappoint. One more thing to add is that the Porto Bay group of hotels run an excellent bus service to and from their hotels during the day.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank VALERIE880
Thank you for your feedback. I am glad you enjoyed your lunch at our hotel. The Cliff Bay has a beautiful sea location open daily for lunches. I hope that we will have the pleasure to host also you stay in the future.

Curzay-sur-Vonne, France
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

The second time I came to Funchal, I stayed at the hotel for 4 nights. It was definitely the greatest experience ever. The hotel staffs were professional, friendly and pleasant. My first impression was hotel lobby lounge, it was unique, opened and wonderful. I felt more satisfied when I got my room. My room was spacious, comfortable and cozy, especially it had beautiful sea view. I could see the priceless sunrise moment or enjoying fantastic view while sipping a cup of coffee from private balcony. I really love it.

• Stayed March 2014
5 Thank ggodoa
Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Most of our rooms have beautiful view over the Atlantic and the view towards Funchal many times capture the sunrise and cruise liners in the Port of Funchal.
I am glad that we managed to be part of your “the greatest experience ever”.
I hope to be able to welcome you back to Madeira and The Cliff Bay in a near future.

Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

Our first stay here and certainly no complaints. From the moment we booked the hotel it was clear that the Cliff Bay provides excellent service to its guests. Throughout our stay all four of our party agreed that all aspects of the hotel are without fault and the lovely ambiance and good size of the hotel made us feel very much at home. Would love to come back, highly recommend both the hotel and Madiera.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Elaine M
JanRingertz, General Manager at Hotel The Cliff Bay, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I hope to be able to welcome you back in a near future as a returning guest with all the benefits that come with it.
Perhaps we will get the pleasure to welcome you back already this year…?