We stayed at the Cliff Bay for a week in a junior suite with a sea view (508). We used the pre-check-in service on their website which considerably shortened the process on arrival. We arrived early but our room was available and check-in was very efficient. We were shown to our room by two very polite members of staff and our cases followed very shortly afterwards. We noticed a broken drawer which I was about to report when a maintenance man appeared to fix it. The cleaner had noticed and already put the wheels in motion - this is the first time ever this has happened to us and it is really nice to stay in a hotel with such an attention to detail.
The whole hotel is run very efficiently, every member of staff we encountered was courteous, well presented and professional. Breakfast in the Rose Garden was very substantial and again the staff made the experience effortless for the guests. During the day there were always sunbeds available and staff were attentive whenever we needed them. The Blue Lagoon and Le Cliff Bar/Bistro had some lovely meals/snacks for all times of day. We ate in the Rose Garden buffet one night which was very nice. We didn't eat in the Michelin Starred Il Gallo D Oro as we prefer casual to formal dining.
The room was cleaned thoroughly every morning and turn down was done every night without fail. On check-in we were given a lovely bottle of red wine and on the second day we returned to the room to find a chilled bottle of white wine left for us - all compliments of the hotel. Check-out was very professional and efficient, our bags were collected and deposited in our taxi for us with no fuss. There was also the option to verify and settle the bill the night before, allowing an express check-out the following day.
All in all this is one of the best hotels we've stayed in and 100% worthy of its five star rating. I would recommend a stay here for anyone as this hotel does cater to all age groups.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Atlantic Ocean stretches as far as the eye can see at the foot of The Cliff Bay which is perched on the top of a natural promontory. The hotel is surrounded by gardens with innumerable secluded corners and centenary palm trees extending to the very edge of the cliff face. The panorama is completed by a magnificent view over the bay of Funchal to the left of the hotel.The most influential restaurant guide in the world, the Michelin Guide, has awarded a star to Il Gallo d'Oro, The Cliff Bay's gourmet restaurant run by Chef Benoît Sinthon. This is Madeira's first and only star ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Priceline, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TravelUp, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Hotel.de, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Hotel The Cliff Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Cliff Bay - Porto Bay Hotel Funchal
- Cliff Bay Porto Funchal
- Cliff Bay Hotel Funchal
- Cliff Bay Hotel Madeira
- Hotel The Cliff Bay Madeira/Funchal