“Another excellent stay”

Hotel The Cliff Bay
Ranked #4 of 88 Hotels in Funchal
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Second visit to the Cliff Bay, still as good as ever; high standard of service. Extremely comfortable room, well maintained gardens and pool areas. The best sun loungers are available by the pool at the Spa, but the loungers at the sea level pool are still comfortable. We used the steam room and sauna several times and we were the only ones there. This year, hotel has introduced a 50% happy hour every evening and alongside the musical entertainment provided, this was a perfect start to every evening.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bhagan1
JanRingertz, General Manager at Hotel The Cliff Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted to hear that you had a memorable stay. The bar is a nice place to start the pleasant summer evenings.
I look forward to seeing you soon again at The Cliff Bay.

There are newer reviews for Hotel The Cliff Bay

Reviewed 1 August 2014

This was our 4th holiday at the Cliff Bay, it’s the only hotel we have stayed at. In our opinion it is the best, so why risk going elsewhere.

This visit was to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. We were delighted when told we had been given an upgrade - the room was fantastic – thank you Cliff Bay.

We always go B&B, as we like to visit the many good restaurants in and around the hotel/town. We tend to use TA to select a restaurant and have not been disappointed with any we have used. Our first night, to celebrate our wedding anniversary we went, with friends, to Restaurante Do Forte (5th on TA) the food was excellent and for €39 each including wine, it was great value for money.

We also ate at Armazen do Sal (3rd on TA) again excellent and the staff, especially Philip, made for a wonderful evening. Our favourite, because the owner is so pleasant, is L’Osteria (9th on TA) it was up to its usual standard i.e. very, very good.

However we visited Ca Te Espero (83rd on TA) twice, we really liked the outside seating area, had good food served by very professional and courteous staff – what more could we want.

Back to the hotel, everything was up to the usual high standards. My wife Jean always has a spa treatment and likes the pedicure. She was again treated by Sonia Dinis who my wife says is the best, anywhere.

Breakfast is always tip-top. The only downside (as if) is due to having eaten too much the night before it is hard to find room any more food.

Wifi all too regularly drops out, so not the best.

Not too sure about the staff being friendly - In my view the are not especially the door staff.

“We will be back”

6  Thank RobertWorcesterUK

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with us. Thank you for sharing your opinions and we will try to further improve.
I look forward to seeing you soon again at The Cliff Bay.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Fabulous, spotlessly clean, friendly hotel
Faultless service
Fantastic food in all the restaurants, but you must treat yourself to meals in Il Gallo D'Oro at least once. Funchal also has many other excellent restaurants to choose from
Wonderful sea water bathing pool

Cannot wait until we can go again

Room Tip: Pay the premium for upper floors and ask for a view of Funchal so you get the morning sun and shade...
5  Thank Libby1954

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased that you had one of your best holidays ever. I hope that we will get the opportunity to welcome you back many more times to The Cliff Bay and Porto Bay Hotels & Resorts.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Fantastic hotel, in every way, location is first class with excellent views over the Atlantic, the hotel itself is beautiful and clean, with comfortable amenities.
The restaurants and bars are all you need, and the food is beyond belief.
However above all this, is the service, you cannot fault it, every member of staff greets you with a smile and a cheery hello.
Luis Soares, Restaurant manager, we must single out for a special mention, as a nicer more professional chap you will struggle to find.

If you are booked here, for an upcoming holiday, you are in for a real treat. really is five star.

Room Tip: There is not a bad room in the Hotel
6  Thank Sparky092

Thank you for your most generous feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Luis is a much appreciated member of staff and most dedicated to deliver service excellence.
I hope to see you soon again at The Cliff Bay and Porto Bay Hotels & Resorts.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

This hotel was in the perfect position and we had a sea view room overlooking Funchal with Reid's Palace to the left. The room was lovely and the bed a very generous size. All mod cons including a fridge which was great for putting water in as its hot and activities mean you need to sip to keep rehydrated. The food was lovely. Breakfasts fantastic choice. Lunch was good and evening meals were ok. We ate in the Michelin restaurant and overrated for what it is really. We also ate al a carte and again for what it cost got better away from the hotel.
The staff were lovely and welcoming and really worked hard to make your stay great.
We started our holiday with an all over body massage and it really set us up for a relaxing chill out holiday. Would definitely recommend.
The pools were fab. sea water at sea level and standard chlorinated up above. Didn't get to go in the sea as the brown jelly fish were up but didn't need to as the facilities more than made up for it.
Had some wonderful tours, East and West plus Nuns Valley and some lavadas.
Would definitely recommend Madeira as a holiday destination especially if you don't want many kids around. Very genteel....loved it!

Room Tip: Go for sea view overlooking Funchal as on the quiet side of the hotel so didn't overlook the din...
5  Thank CSp123

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and took time to visit our beautiful island. I hope we get the pleasure to welcome you back to our hotel again.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

We had stayed at the Cliff Bay four times previously, our last visit was in 2009. When planning where to go for our Pearl Anniversary, there really wasn't anywhere else we wanted to go. We stayed there for the first two weeks of July. It was perfection from the moment we got out of the taxi. The Reception staff welcomed us and wished us a Happy Anniversary. We had asked for a room overlooking Funchal, which we were given. Our room was on the same floor as the Cliff Bar and was accessed through double doors opposite the lift (we hadn't even realised on previous visits that there were rooms there!) We were taken to the room by the lovely Lena, who we have known since she worked in the Spa and is now part of the management. The room and bathroom were spotless and the view breathtaking. Shortly after we arrived in the room, flowers were delivered from the hotel for our anniversary - such a lovely gesture. So many of the staff remembered us from our previous visits. The spa has been refurbished since our last visit. All of the staff there are friendly and efficient. I had a massage and the next day as I collected towels for the pool, the girl who had booked me in, greeted me by name and asked how I had enjoyed the treatment and remembered something specific we had discussed. These kind of people are what makes this hotel so special. I also broke a nail during my stay and they fitted me in straight away and Marina who repaired my nail, was a real credit to the hotel.
We ate in the Michelin star restaurant on the evening of our anniversary and the staff were very attentive and the food was outstanding. We ate out most evenings as there are so many good restaurants just outside the hotel. Breakfast at the Cliff Bay is an experience - there is everything you could possibly want and we found that we didn't need to eat lunch.
We seemed to fall into a routine and most days were spent on the comfortable sun loungers by the top pool, looking out at the amazing view and at 12noon we always had a fresh pineapple juice for me and a small beer for my husband. After ordering these for a couple of days, the lovely lady who works at the cactus bar, appeared at our sun beds around 12 noon each day, to ask if we would like to order our drinks. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff at the Cliff Bay, they are all friendly and most have been at the hotel for a number of years. All of the staff in the Cliff Bar are very efficient and friendly and again, would remember our regular order.
If you choose to stay at the Cliff Bay, I cannot see how you would be disappointed. You will have a truly relaxing time in a luxurious hotel with the best staff looking after you.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Linda C

Thank you for your complete feedback. I am pleased that you had a nice celebration at our hotel and we hope to see you soon again. We are very proud of our staff members that do their very best to deliver memorable holiday experiences. Our guest relations Lina Jardim assists always with a friendly smile.
I am glad that you enjoyed the food and beverage offerings in our hotel and it’s nice with a fresh juice at the Cactus Bar.
Jan E: Ringertz

Reviewed 24 July 2014

First of all, I chose this hotel because it was #1 on TripAdvisor for Funchal back in about February 2014. This was our final hotel in Portugal, so a bit of a splurge. The hotel is not actually in Funchal, but there is a complimentary bus service, albeit with limited hours. I guess if you're going to stay at the Cliff Bay, you would probably just take a taxi back from downtown Funchal. I chose to walk and be aware that returning to the Cliff Bay is uphill. The clientele is older and European, who else can afford this place? Ha! There is a one star Michelin restaurant on the grounds, Il Gallo d'Oro. We tried it, but we actually preferred the one star Michelin restaurant in Porto, The Yeatman (see my previous review). The breakfast buffet is sumptuous and the staff is ever helpful. This is Portugal and you can be assured everyone speaks English fluently. I also noticed many of the clientele were return guests. I am not surprised in the least.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank QatarJoe

Thank you for your feedback. The city of Funchal has ca 112.000 inhabitants and is therefore large enough to include various areas. The Cliff Bay, like almost all hotels in Madeira, is located outside the direct city centre with comfortable walking distance to the town square.
Most of our staff are multi-lingual and have been with us for many years.
I am glad that you enjoyed Il Gallo d’Oro. It is always difficult to compare restaurants but all Michelin starred restaurants are special, each within its own way.
I hope to welcome you back in a near future.
Jan E: Ringertz