“Brilliant hotel”

Ranked #3 of 87 Hotels in Funchal
Funchal, Portugal
“Brilliant hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2010

We can only confirm the other reviews: this is an excellent 5* hotel.
We stayed at the Cliff Bay for 7 days in December 2008. Although we had booked no sea view room, upon arrival we were designated a seaview room which we enjoyed very much. The view was great, the location of the hotel is very good.

We booked breakfast basis and took vouchers in the hotel for diner at Il Gallo d'Oro.
Great variety of choices at the breakfast buffet.
Il Gallo d'Oro is a very good restaurant with friendly staff. Service at the Blue Lagoon restaurant near the swimming pool was good, but not excellent: we had to wait a bit too long and staff was not that professional and helpful as in the Rose Garden restaurant.

There are also good restaurants in Funchal to have lunch; the Guide Michelin recommends some nice ones which are not too expensive.

Good spa facilities, with professional massages.

Large rooms with nice marble bathrooms.

Overall: very good hotel, with friendly staff. No children when we stayed there, so quiet hotel, well-mannered guests.

We will certainly return to the Cliff Bay.
Madeira is a very nice island with ideal climate: not cold in winter and not too hot in summer. Moreover, other type of tourists than at costa's in Spain etc.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RoelDeMeu
Swe-traveller, General Manager at Hotel The Cliff Bay, responded to this review, 14 June 2010
Dear Sir,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Our hotel like many others offers magnificent views and we are very proud of the recommendation in the “Guide Rouge – Michelin”.

Hoping to see you again soon at The Cliff Bay.

Jan E. Ringertz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,014)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
fareham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2010

Almost perfect. There is almost nothing they could do to improve on the experience.
-sea view room was good size, huge bed, lovely bathroom and great views. I would agree with previous post that matress was a little too firm, but pillows were perfect and sheets felt 'like new'.
-breakfast buffet was by far the best i've had. It might look like the usual buffet you get in most good hotels, but the quality of every ingredient was spot on.
-evening buffet; perhaps the only criticism i would have. The food was good quality, but it just seemed a bit too expensive for a buffet. Wine vey expensive.
-pool ares great; plenty of sun loungers and a helpful assistant supplies mattresses and umbrellas.
-pool snacks looked expensive; but portion size is huge, so works out good value
-maid must have spotted birthday cards, and a lovely cake appeared the next day.
-room service was good; again portion size made it pretty good value.
-loads of great eateries within walking distance
-all staff were helpful and pleasant

don't stay anywhere else if you want to stay in fubchal!!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank citehmoose
Thank you for your kind feedback. Our sea-view rooms are over average in size and with magnificent views. Regarding the mattresses we are soon receiving additional mattress covers that will make them a little softer. Despite recommending active holidays we at The Cliff Bay we consider sleeping a priority. If any guest has a requirement of any kind… softer beds, harder beds, different pillows etc. we are pleased to cater and adjust accordingly.
We try to offer a balanced selection of menus in our various outlets with everything from Michelin style cuisine until a sandwich in the bar. Our Executive Chefe Benoit Sinthon try to cater for all preferences.
We praise our staff highly and I am delighted to learn that our pool assistant was corresponding to your expectations.

I very much look forward to welcoming you back to Madeira – the pearl in the Atlantic.

FIFE
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2010

Normally I would hesitate to recommend a hotel because everyone has different ideas as to what contributes to a perfect holiday. My husband and I first stayed at "The Cliff Bay" in 1998 to celebrate a special birthday. It was fabulous then and seven return visits since, it is even better. The management of this hotel is second to none. Everything runs like a well oiled wheel. The staff are efficient, courteous and friendly. The hotel is immaculately clean. The bedrooms and bathrooms, are spacious, beautifully furnished and the sea view rooms have outstanding panaromic views of Funchal harbour. The Rose Garden restaurant provides a wonderful buffet breakfast and has themed evening buffet dinners which are excellent value. The Michelin Star Italian Restaurant, Il Gallo D'Oro serves imaginative and beautifully presented food. My husband and I particularly enjoyed the Dinner/Dance evening on a Saturday in "Il Gallo D'Oro" with entertainment provided by "Duo Luno". The atmosphere was relaxed with delicious courses served whilst guests danced and enjoyed the music. Before the end of this lovely evening, the waiters and waitresses joined guests to dance along to the music. A magical evening which confirmed that not only the guests, but staff too, enjoyed the special atmosphere that "The Cliff Bay" provides. The hotel gardens are also beautifully maintained and to sum up, I would say this hotel is "faultless". Madeira is a beautful island, well named "The Pearl of the Atlantic" and "The Cliff Bay" is a fitting five star retreat for guests who are looking for the best.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MACFifeScotland
Dear Madam,

Thank you for your generous feedback regarding your stay in our hotel. It is with pride that I as general manager of the hotel receive such praise and together with the team starting with the hotel owners until the last service provider promise to do our outmost to even further improve our hotel and the services offered.

I look very much forward to welcome you back in a near future.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2010

Managed to get away for an unexpected week here beginning of May. Once again the staff welcomed us back like old friends.
The standard of customer service in this hotel is excellent and is always consistent - every need is catered for and nothing seems to be too much trouble.
The weather wasn't as great as it has been in previous visits - but I still came away from here relaxed and rejuvenated. Which is the sign of a great holiday!
I have been going to the Cliff Bay since 1995 - and to be honest have no desire to visit anywhere else.

Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BarBaa
Swe-traveller, General Manager at Hotel The Cliff Bay, responded to this review, 1 June 2010
Thank you for your kind feedback. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and we much look forward to welcome you back in a near future.

Birmingham, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2010

We visited the Cliff Bay Hotel in the Easter Holidays and found it to be absolutely top notch. The rooms are excellent - the bed was immense and my 18 yr old daughter had a put you up bed settee that was also very large. The service is fast, friendly and efficient and nothing is too much trouble for the staff. The hotel itself is a little outside Madeira - I would say it is perhaps a 20-25 minute leisurely stroll - but there is a courtesy bus from the hotel. One small gripe about this - when we used it we expected the chap driving to inform us as we got off where the pick up point would be but we had to ask him and lucky we did as it wasn't were he dropped us off but in a square in the centre of Madeira!!

We ate in the two restaurants whilst we were there and we preferred the non-Michelin starred one. If I went again I would't bother to eat in the hotel as the restaurants are not all that fantastic and the hotel is well served for restaurants in the vicinity.

My daughter and I had a facial in the very swanky spa which was fantastic and the swimming pool and sun terrace area is also very good.

The only gripe I really had was with the grounds of the hotel - they are very limited - pretty but small!

On the whole, the holiday was very good and we would definitely visit this hotel again.

Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank razzzzzzamatazzzz
Swe-traveller, General Manager at Hotel The Cliff Bay, responded to this review, 26 May 2010
Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Cliff Bay. I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed your holidays and appreciate your comments regarding the minibus pick-up point. A new procedure has already been introduced.
The food and beverage service of our hotel offer a wide variety of choice and many of our guests enjoy in-house dining.
I do believe that The Cliff Bay has one of Funchal’s unique locations with fabulous views. I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed the grounds and when returning you will experience an even further improved description of our garden plants and trees.
Thank you for your preference and we look forward to welcoming you back again in a near future.
Yours Sincerely

East Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2010

I have been visiting the island of Madeira for 42 years.I've stayed and visited most of the hotels there.The Cliff Bay is my absolute favourite.I stayed for the Millenium,and many other times.
Location : It's on a rocky peninsular with stunning views of Funchal to the East,open views of the Atlantic to the South,and views of the neighbouring hotels and tourist area to the West,and very quiet.
Facilities : 2 swimming pools,one ( upper ) indoor-outdoor and jacuzzi,lower pool is sea water,and has access to the sea.Excellent sun bathing facilities too.Several restaurants,all first class,including the 'Gallo D'Oro',Michelin starred. Poolside bars for drinks & snacks,and the Cliff Bar for more formal evening refreshment,with live entertainment of a high quality.
Many sports are catered for including tennis,a gym,and sub aqua diving.
There is a wonderful Spa with many relaxing treatments available.
The standard guest rooms are large,beautifully furnished,usually 2 large beds placed together,with wide screen T.V.,Hi Fi & DVD - CD player,electronic safe,and refigerated drinks & snack cabinet.The bathroom is stunning with black marble floors,twin basins,shower cubicle,separate bath,toilet & bidet,hair dryer,and robes & slippers.There is also a large balcony with integrated flower beds, table & chairs to enjoy.
The staff are first class,very smart,courteous,highly trained,most are multi ligual,and very friendly.Cleanliness is superb.
On one of our visits,the president of Portugal,Cavaco Silva was staying there.The other guests were not inconvenienced in any way,even with the security staff & official cars.
I cannot think of anything about this hotel is don't like.I reiterate,it's my favourite place to be.I'll be there again in September 2010.Try it !

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank EastYorkshireLester
Thank you very much for sharing your holiday experience at Tripadvisor. I am delighted to hear how much you appreciate our hotel.
We look forward to welcoming you back in September. Please feel free to contact me directly in case you need any additional assistance regarding your upcoming stay (janringertz@portobay.pt)
With kindest regards

seaton devon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2010

What a shame that the beds are SOOO hard and lumpy. We had far better beds in a 4* hotel in the centre of Africa! What do the people who chose the beds sleep on? Or is it just a matter of economics for the share holders to have beds so hard the last and last and last... Until they change their beds we certainly not be returning.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. It’s with great dismay that I learn that you did not enjoy our beds that are actually of high quality. I can assure you that economics was not a factor when choosing them. We are now implementing in all our guest rooms additional and very comfortable mattress covers for an enhanced sleep experience. This is an excellent alternative when one prefers softer beds.
In case you decide to give us your renewed confidence in hosting your stay, please let me know your travel dates and I can personally ensure you that the “hardness” of our beds will not be an issue.
I am very pleased that in other areas our hotel lived up to your expectations as a five star hotel.

With kindest regards