Firstly the good points...lovely hotel, great facilities, attentive staff and attention to detail is very good in most areas. Food in the Rose Garden restaurant, buffet style included in half board was good, varied and always plenty of choice, but make sure you try the Gallo restaurant it is superb and without doubt worthy of the michelin star, remember gentlemen take a tie/jacket for this restaurant.
Swimming pools good together with the well furnished terraces, plenty for everyone, although even though the sign sayS do not reserve beds, obviously people did early in the morning.
Unfortunately I have to also mention a couple of negative points, the cost of a bottle of wine is horrendous! wine on offer in the restaurant, from portugal, priced at 23 euros per bottle (cheapest) which sells in the supermarket for 4.25 euros, thats over 500% mark up and totally unnecessary. It was possible to purchase a wine deal which did reduce the wine by approx 20% but even so still totally unacceptable mark up. The drinks in the bar are also high end.
Also I booked half board in england, big mistake, cheaper to pay at the hotel, but actually the breakfasts are good and there are plenty of eating places around about so it is possible to eat out of the hotel a lot cheaper if needed.
The bathroom shower gels were of low quality also, a bit unusual for a 5 star hotel to supply cheap products.
Overall...I would recommend this hotel for the comfort and facilities, staff and cleanliness, NOTE TO MANAGEMENT - REDUCE YOUR MARK UP ON THE WINES, THEY ARE LOCAL WINES AND A 500% MARK UP IS GREEDY!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Atlantic Ocean stretches as far as the eye can see at the foot of The Cliff Bay which is perched on the top of a natural promontory. The hotel is surrounded by gardens with innumerable secluded corners and centenary palm trees extending to the very edge of the cliff face. The panorama is completed by a magnificent view over the bay of Funchal to the left of the hotel.The most influential restaurant guide in the world, the Michelin Guide, has awarded a star to Il Gallo d'Oro, The Cliff Bay's gourmet restaurant run by Chef Benoît Sinthon. This is Madeira's first and only star ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Booking.com, TravelUp, LoveHolidays, Expedia, Hotels.com, LateRooms, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Hotel The Cliff Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Cliff Bay - Porto Bay Hotel Funchal
- Cliff Bay Porto Funchal
- Cliff Bay Hotel Funchal
- Cliff Bay Hotel Madeira
- Hotel The Cliff Bay Madeira/Funchal