We researched this trip long and hard as it was for a special anniversary and also by chance included my husband's birthday. We could have gone back to a fantastic five star hotel in Cyprus that we love but we wanted to do something different. We are so glad that we chose the Cliff Bay it is in our view just perfect.
We loved our room and were immediately impressed with it. The decor is just right. light and clean and not overpowering. The bed is huge and extremely comfortable. You have everything you need including a flat screen TV, DVD, CD, tea and coffee making facilities and all the usual things such as mending kits and even a clothes brush also plenty of good quality clothes hangers. We loved the size of the balcony and the fact that the balcony is private and not overlooked. The view was stunning. The bathroom is very well equipped and as well as a bath with a hand held shower there is a walk in shower cubicle and a separate cubicle with the toilet and bidet. There are also two basins and the thing I loved was the great illuminated shaving/makeup mirror. We had lots of lovely toileteries and nice fluffy white towels and face cloths. White towelling robes and slippers were also provided.
We enjoyed all the food at the Cliff Bay. Breakfast is great with lots of cereals and fruit. They had lots of cheese, cold meats as well as a good selection of hot foods, bread, cakes and preserves. Coffee and tea is served at your table and there is a selection of juices, water and even sparkling wine if you want it.
We had the food and wine package for three days and ate at the Rose Garden on three occasions with that. Even as a vegetarian I found plenty to eat, often the soup was vegetarian, then there is a huge selection of salads and the main courses usually included something vegetarian such as pasta or noodles as well as vegetables etc. My husband is not vegetarian and he also enjoyed the choices available. The desserts are to die for and I just wanted to try them all.
We ate at Il Gallo D'oro one evening and enjoyed this experience and can say that it deserves it's Michelin star.
The general areas in the hotel are very well kept and spotlessly clean. The pools are lovely and we had lunch down at the Blue Lagoon one day. It is a lovely area to relax and enjoy a leisurely lunch. On another occasion we had lunch outside the Le Cliff Bar which was also enjoyable.
We enjoyed the evening entertainment along with a nice drink in the bar in the evenings. It certainly had the feel good factor helped along by the friendly staff.
I really feel that it is the staff that make this hotel so special. Every single member of staff we encountered had a cheery greeting and a smile for us. Every time we passed reception the lovely girls spoke to us and when ever we approached them for help with a question or a booking they were very efficient and helpful. The staff in the Rose Garden were also especially friendly and very pleasant and helpful.
I must mention that when we arrived there were lovely cream roses in our room with a card for our anniversary and on my husband's birthday there was a cake left in the room which was a lovely surprise.
All in all this a very calm, relaxing well run hotel and I will certainly recommend it to everyone and we hope to return in the not too distant future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Atlantic Ocean stretches as far as the eye can see at the foot of The Cliff Bay which is perched on the top of a natural promontory. The hotel is surrounded by gardens with innumerable secluded corners and centenary palm trees extending to the very edge of the cliff face. The panorama is completed by a magnificent view over the bay of Funchal to the left of the hotel.The most influential restaurant guide in the world, the Michelin Guide, has awarded a star to Il Gallo d'Oro, The Cliff Bay's gourmet restaurant run by Chef Benoît Sinthon. This is Madeira's first and only star ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, LoveHolidays, TravelUp, Expedia, Hotels.com, LateRooms, HotelQuickly, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Hotel The Cliff Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Cliff Bay - Porto Bay Hotel Funchal
- Cliff Bay Porto Funchal
- Cliff Bay Hotel Funchal
- Cliff Bay Hotel Madeira
- Hotel The Cliff Bay Madeira/Funchal