“Great Place to lie around the pool if that's what you want”

Suite Hotel Eden Mar
Ranked #8 of 87 Hotels in Funchal
Swansea County, United Kingdom
“Great Place to lie around the pool if that's what you want”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2010

This was our first visit to Madeira and obvioulsy our first stay at the Eden Mar Suite Hotel. We arrived an hour late, courtesy of French Air Traffic Control. Nevertheless the taxi which we had booked beforehand through Funchal Taxis was there waiting for us following our very speedy and efficient transfer through the airport. The journey to the hotel took about 20 minutes. The Eden Mar, together with many of the more modern hotels was to the west of Funchal centre and the Reid's Palace Hotel. We had booked a sea facing studio room. In the event I think we were allocated a side sea view. Not really worth making a fuss about, particularly as we had arrived late and were in a bit of a rush to catch dinner. If we were to return (see below), I would ask in advance for a south west side sea facing room simply to get the afternoon sun on the balcony. Our room had all we needed – (large) twin beds pushed together, oldish but clean bathroom and a separate WC. There was a kitchenette area which contained all necessary items – microwave, fridge, glasses, cutlery etc. The room also had a reasonable sized balcony with a table and couple of chairs. I was glad that we were not on the ground floor as the balcony their opens onto the public areas. Given the shape of the building, most balconies are overlooked to one degree or another. Overall the accommodation was fine, but no full length mirror!!! The safe was €10 a week. There are 4 restaurants available – il Basilico, a Mediterranean Style, a Portuguese style and the buffet restaurant. If you are on half board you get a €17 allowance against meals in other than the buffet restaurant which is probably enough for the main course. The buffet restaurant is however excellent, and we ate there 6 of the 7 nights of our stay. The buffet restaurant also does a very passable house wine at €10 a litre. Bar prices were typical of hotel prices €3 a glass of wine €4 a half litre of beer – although there is a 2 for 1 happy hour.

Staying at the Eden Mar you have full access to the pool area at the Porto Mare which was nicer than the Eden Mar area. It was always quite busy although when we stayed it was usually possible to get a lounger (pool towels provided in the room)

There is a very good supermarket within 5 mins of the hotel where you can get most things.

Funchal is about 25 minutes walk from the hotel and the big disappointment for us was that it was not along a seaside promenade but along the main road. There is a much nicer sea-view walk to the west from the hotel.

Whilst we were there everyone we spoke to was very friendly and very helpful.

I don't think we will return to Madeira in the near future because of other places we want to see. But if you are looking for a relaxing break, sitting by the pool, with good quality and plenty of food, then the Eden Mar could be the place for you or maybe the Porto Mare if the price differential is not too much.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Two_Fogies
antoniopais, General Manager at Suite Hotel Eden Mar, responded to this review, 19 July 2010
Dear Sir,

Just to thank you for your comments on tripadviser about Eden Mar hotel.

I am glad to know that you have enjoyed the hotel facilities and our restaurant food as well.

Antonio Pais

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (437)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
edinburgh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2010

I wish I had known the truth before I went.Myself,my partner and my son aged 14 have just come back from a 2 week stay at the Eden Mar.We were greeted and treated pleasently at reception when we arrived.Myself and my partner had booked a junior suite for ourselves and to give us all some privacey a superior studio next door for my son.The rooms were both lovely,the studio was massive,they both had lovely sea views which is what I had asked for,the beds were very comfortable and the blackout curtains helped with long lies in.The only downside of the rooms was that the wardrobes seemed to be a lot older than the rest of the accomodation and the bottom of the dressing table drawer looked ready for the bucket.The gardens in the hotel are amasing and are a delight to see.The gym was excellent and indoor and outdoor pools are lovely.The maid service is superb and she was very polite.The breakfast had a great selection of fruit,breads and cakes.The cooked side could have been better,the table service was good. There are drains outside the entrance to the hotel perhaps about 100ft away and the constant smell of urine is enough to make your eyes water.On our first night we went to eat up the little hill and crossed the road at the left hand side zebra crossing.We paid 70 Euros for a terrible meal from a bad mannered waiter.The next night we walked further along towards the Cliff Bay hotel.We went into a restaurant up a side street advertising roast chicken and chips 12 Euros.When we sat down the waitress handed us an a-la carte menu,the first thing on the menu was 160Euros for a seafood platter for 2.There was nothing less than40Euros.I explained to her that this was too expensive and we did not want to pay these prices.She stormed off muttering to herself under her breath and returned with a set meal 18Euro menu and a set meal 12Euro menu adding "I think this is the one you want."We got up and left.We found a nice enough place to eat after that but on the second night I saw 3 dead cockroaches on the toilet floor.The night after that we tried Grannys further up a bit,the meal was alright but after she took our plates away she started clearing any crumbs off our table,which my partner found very embarasing.The night after that we tried the steak house which is above the supermarket at the back of the hotel.The prices are good,the food was very good but portions very small.My partner had to have 2 main courses to be full.The owner was very pleasant,the waitress very helpfull but there is a South African waiter who is very obnoxious.So after 2 nights there we tried Barracuda restaurant which is opposte the steak house, EURICKA!I cannot say enough good things about this restaurant.It is run by Dino,who sreves you and his wife Luisa who does the cooking.He is pleasant and polite, serves brilliant food at great prices and really looks after you.He does fantastic fish and chips on a Friday but do reserve a seat because a Friday is busy.It was a relief to have a good meal at last.We ate here every night until our last night which was a Sunday because Barracuda is closed on a Sunday.We decided to try the Irish bar along the road and thought we would have a drink first to see what we thought.The waiter had a terrible attitude and after drinking some of my drink I realised it had pink lipstick all around the top of the glass,I didn't have any on.I showed him this and he just said "oh yeh".I told him he had a very bad manner and perhaps if he was nicer to his customers he would get more tips,we left the bar and our drinks.We went back to the hotel to get something from the snack bar at the main pool.The chicken nuggets were so hard my son could not cut them,the chips were cold, the tomatoe in the salad was turning black and the little bowls of coleslaw looked like they had seen better days.When we had finished I told the waitress and I didn't even get an apology. The first time we went into Funchal we sat down at a cafe only for a drunk beggar to stand in front of us and constantly begg,yet again we had to leave.The indoor market has a group of local drunks congregating at the side at the front with their bottles and dogs.The waterfront area down from the hotel is lovely and has a lovely bar called Kasbah along with go-karts for children.We were very disapointed with our eating experiences and yes a lot of waiters,hotel staff were very nice but we found in the restaurants that there were a lot with very bad attitudes who just expect you to spend your money.If you love sunbathing,hill walking bad manners and rotten food then this is for you.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
8 Thank joely08
antoniopais, General Manager at Suite Hotel Eden Mar, responded to this review, 15 July 2010
Dear Sirs,

Thank you for the comments posted on tripadviser. I regret to know that you had some less positive experiences at local restauants. Like anywhere in the world there are good and less good restaurants & bars, I would advise you to ask at hotel receptions so they can give informations that might help you when looking for options to hotel restaurants.

In our case we have within the Vila Porto Mare complex, 4 different options for food. The usual buffet restaurant that serves a different thematic buffet, Il Basilico an Italian restaurant which is very popular for residents and tourists, The Med a Mediterranean restaurant with a very romantic terrace, and The Alfama, with flavours from Maderia & Portugal mainland.

Again thank you for you time and hope our tips are usefull for future visits to Madeira.

Best regards,

Witney, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2010

My partner and I booked last minute and from the many choices of room available decided to select a junior suite accommodation. We were not disappointed, as the room and facilities were excellent. Our accommodation was located in the Residence quarters of the Porto Mare complex, which meant that we had a very large (5/6 rooms in all including kitchen and bedroom), quiet studio overlooking some gardens and the sea. The gardens within the complex are maintained to an incredibly high standard and we were impressed with the variety of exotic tropical trees and plants within the grounds.
I had a couple of spa treatments and although the reception personnel in the spa and at the front desk were not the warmest, the quality of treatments and careful organisation of tours compensated for any shortfall in friendliness. One word of caution, the hotel is large and to walk from the Residence to Hotel Eden Mar can take up to 10 minutes depending on how you navigate the lifts and stairways, so make sure you get transport to/from the most convenient hotel entrance when you have heavy bags to load! It's not something I normally say, but I would definitely return back to the Residence, especially as one week is definitely not long enough to experience all that this hotel and Madeira has to offer (next time for us will definitely be Santana and 25 Fontanes Llevada)!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank poppyfield
Dear Sirs,

Thank you for the positive comments posted on tripadviser about Vila Porto Mare. I will certainly share your thoughts about your stay with my team.

In the future plase take god note that each hotel within the Vila Porto Mare complex has its own reception.

Best regards
Edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2010

After staying at the Porto Mare last year we saw a good rate for the Eden Mar this year so decided to book knowing that the complex shares all the faclities.The only negative to mention was that our room overlooked the car park and was above the Pingo Doce supermarket which meant out on the balcony could be noisy at times though we did have sea views.This didnt bother us but we live in the city and are used to noise and when the balcony doors were shut we hardly heared anything but may be an issue for some people.The up side is the room we were in was a junior suite when we had only paid for a normal room.We had a bedroom which could be seperated with a sliding door from the living area which had a kitchen area,and room for dining with table and chairs a real home from home.Flatscreen tellys in the bedroom and living area plenty of wardrobe space.Considering the price we paid this was all excellent value for money.The complex as a whole was kept scrupulously clean by the staff the gardens are gorgeous and the pools beautiful the main reasons for returning.Breakfast is excellent with many options and staff were quick to bring tea or coffee to the table.We also made a few enquiries to the reception staff who were always friendly and helpful.Would recommend Casa Italia to the east side of the Eden Mar for pasta and pizzas,good food at very reasonable prices as good as last year and a new restaurant nearby L'Osteria was also very good. Apart from breakfast didnt eat in the hotel or attend the entertainment which is aimed at a much older age group than us.All in all had another great holiday in Madeira much of the credit has to go to the staff and manager for maintaining the standards of this place.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sh00sh00Edinburgh
antoniopais, General Manager at Suite Hotel Eden Mar, responded to this review, 14 July 2010
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your comments about Eden Mar hotel. I am very plesead to know that you had another positive holiday experience and I will certainly share with my team the notes you left on tripadviser about their service.

Northampton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2010

We read a lot of good reviews about this hotel, so expected it to be good and were not disappointed. To make things better we got an upgrade to a junior suite and although the room was comfortable and clean, it was close to needing refurbishing. Another niggle was that most entertainment was finished by 22:30. Those two minor things aside, the hotel is lovely with stunning grounds and lovely pools. We have always said we wouldn’t return to the same place again as it’s never the same the second time round. But we would make an exception for Funchal and the Eden Mar.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wootton_Resident
Dear Sir,

Just to say thank you for your support by posting your feedback on tripadviser.
We are glad that you have enjoyed your stay and that you consider us for future stays.

With best regards

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2010

Booked this hotel following research on TA and were so pleased with how it turned out. Hotel from the road looks quite plain and bog-standard really, but once in reception you are greeted by one of the desk staff, all of whom had great attitudes and were incredibly helpful. Room was far larger than we expected, immaculately clean and tidy, with lots of little perks, bath robes, beach towels, sewing kits, the list goes on and on! All rooms are sea view, and the outlook from balcony includes views over the very well appointed gardens and swimming pools. Eden Mar is in the Porto Bay resort chain, and is attached to another hotel to the West, which means all facilities can be used there too. This gives you a choice of four swimming pools, three bars, two restaurants (we were B&B but could still use either) Gym, and all the other communal rooms. Eden Mar was quieter though, so we preferred to stay by our pool. We took three tours on the island, the east, west and Nun's Valley excursions - all very worthwhile and enjoyable. For day trips into Funchal, its a good 45min walk into centre of town (good for walking off ice creams!) or the hotel runs multiple mini bus trips to and from Funchal old town every day. GO TO THIS HOTEL!!!! Probably the best we've stayed in.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank Lauren25c
antoniopais, General Manager at Suite Hotel Eden Mar, responded to this review, 6 July 2010
Dear Sirs,

By the discription and comments you have made about Eden Mar hotel & Vila Porto Mare complex, I can understand that you had a positive experience with us which leave us pleased and we thank you for that.

With warmest regards,

london, uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2010

Booked transfer prior to our arrival with Madeira Airport Transfers and were swiftly driven to our hotel. From the outside Eden Mar looks like a plain building, but once inside you are pleasantly surprised by the décor. We booked a junior suite for the 3 of us and instead of a sofa bed for the 3rd person, an extra single bed was provided in the sitting room area. Great sea view room on the 5th floor with a large balcony. The view was absolutely breathtaking. The well appointed room with separate bedroom and kitchenette was more than large enough for 3 people. The kitchenette is fully equipped with everything imaginable to cook a full meal and with access to a large supermarket to the back of the hotel, this is exactly what we did one evening! Plenty of English language channels on the TV. Powerful air conditioning system. Our booking included breakfast, which we took in the Porto Mare dining room. Excellent large selection of hot and cold choices made more special when eaten in the dining room’s outside eating area by the pool. The freshly cooked omelettes were very good. The grounds are immaculate with lovely pools and hammocks. Spending time to admire the variety of plants grown is a must!

Hotel is centrally located in the hotel zone with bus stop to town and Monte only a short walk away. Eden Mar has its own shopping arcade which we used to buy souvenirs and there are several cafes to grab a quick lunch including a steakhouse, an italian, a chinese, an indian and a few more local choices. Across the main road is the Monument Lido shopping centre, lots of food options here. The famous Solar Da Ajuda is just to the side of this building. If you choose to eat here, come early to avoid queues! Portions are big so bring your appetite!

We tried to book an excursion with Strawberry World, but they were fully booked and their tours did not run every day. Luckily I remembered reading something about a “breakaway” tour company run by an ex employee nearby, so we booked our East Island tour with Happy Tours within the Monument Lido shopping centre. They were able to accommodate us easily since they operate minibus tours only and could add extra buses. It was a good tour and of course the price of 16 euros was excellent value for money!

We only stayed 4 days but will definitely return for a longer stay. I have never booked the same hotel before, always need to try somewhere new. That’s just how I am. But for Eden Mar I may just break that rule!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank patsyc216
antoniopais, General Manager at Suite Hotel Eden Mar, responded to this review, 28 June 2010
Dear Sirs,

Just to thank you for the comments left at tripadviser and let you know that we are happy that you have enjoyed your stay at Eden Mar hotel.