VidaMar Resort Hotel Madeira
Hotels.com
US$247
US$118
  • Restaurant
Hotel The Cliff Bay(Funchal)
US$272
US$281
US$171
US$146
2,968 results
All reviewsmamma miaocean restaurantdine around optionsushi restaurantlisboa barkoi sushisea platformhalf boardcasa dasinspired luxury escapesbroadway travelindoor poola superior sea view roomsalt waterpiano barbreakfast and dinnerstar hotel
Reviewed 29 November 2013

This is a very nice hotel. I would not say its a five star hotel. The rooms are nice. Remember to buy water or soft drinks for your room. We only had one bottle on the day we arrived but no more was supplied (there's no mini bar). Also there is only old fashioned hair dryers (attached to the bathroom wall takes forever to dry your hair). The buffet restaurant is wonderful for breakfast and evening meals. We dined in Mamma Mia & the Tapas restaurants (part of the hotel extra charge). Mamma Mia was a disappointment the menu is very limited and we did not really enjoy this. The Tapas bar don't bother I love tapas but I could not eat this rubbish don't waste your time or money on this. We did not try the Sushi restaurant after these two disappointing evening.
The hotel spa is definitely not a 5 star they advertise couple treatments. When we went to book this it was not available over three days (I assumed they were really busy). We opted for treatment one after the other my massage was really rushed and not relaxing at all (probably one of the poorest quality I have received). We used the facilities afterwards they are ok but very limited (avoid the steam room it is so smelly and quite dirty).
The hairdressers is really good I got my hair coloured and cut very good quality.
All the staff are really nice and very helpful.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Seana R
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Vidamar is a must visit resort. It exceeded all expectations; excellent service, food and the setting is spectacular. Having visited Madeira before, I would only ever stay here if visiting again - and I will. The staff are unobtrusive yet nothing is too much trouble. The facilities are 1st class, and the spa is sensational. Everything about this hotel has been well considered, with the guest experience the only priority.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 28 November 2013

We booked our first deal with Travelzoo to this hotel on a half-board basis for 10 days (still there now!). Since we arrived we have been made to feel very welcome and appreciated as a guest by all the staff. The hotel itself is very modern and minimalistic, but it is immaculately clean and we like the feel. The food has been extremely good and we appreciate Sally's breakfast omlettes which are always served with a smile. The restaurant has a nice ambiance to it, not like some of the AI hotels where you feel you are in a canteen. The hotel is only 40% occupied at the moment, so service has been exceptional - not sure how all the guests would be catered for when full in the summer. One slight disappointment is the Piano Bar which isn't very well supported in the evenings. We think it is because the bar is right round the corner and guests gaze in but never enter - perhaps it's because they can't see the bar. Lots of seating areas around and in the building, so you can always find a nice little quiet area to sit and read and lovely outside area with beds and towels provided. Haven't yet used the indoor pool/sauna/steam room but intend to tomorrow. We have used the dine around at Mama Mia a couple of times, which we can highly recommend. The bedrooms are superb - all facing the sea which is a bit rough today and quite noisy, but exciting to watch. Would certainly recommend paying €6 for the minibar contents, then you can use the fridge for water etc. Tea & coffee making facilities in bedroom, but bring your own teabags if you want a decent cup of tea from the restaurant! If you have long hair bring your own hairdryer or you might be drying for a long time!! Another few bonuses here is free wi-fi is available throughout the hotel, including bedroom, and the safe is free to use. The hotel is extremely well located, with both the yellow & red sightseeing bus stops just at the top of the drive, as are the local buses into Funchal - or you can walk in about 25 minutes. If you hire a car, there is a large free underground car park at the hotel. The surrounding area has a nice feel to it, especially the lido area - superb Italian at far end - and there are lots of modern 5* hotels, restaurants and bars. We did have a problem getting afternoon tea yesterday and had to wait ages for room service to bring it to reception, and then they got it wrong. But as this is the only negative comment we can make, you can see it is somewhere where we will definitely consider returning to again - hopefully next year!

Room Tip: Room 1015 is ideal - air conditioning works and the view is amazing and very quiet - several air crews using this 10th floor.
4  Thank Carole096
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I booked this hotel after reading the Trip Advisor reviews. We stayed there on half-board for 11 days in November and we were not disappointed. The staff were absolutely brilliant - we had a warm welcome on arival from Carla and Nelson in reception, who quickly sorted out a luggage problem entirely of our own making. Everybody in the dining room, especially Suzi the breakfast chef who cooked a mean omelette, and Rafael, were particularly helpful.

This hotel has everything from super bedrooms (with floor to ceiling mirrors in the bathroom opposite the toilet for those who enjoying watching themselves in action), a huge and spacious ocean-side area for lazing right by the Atlantic, a spa, a squash court, and a very attractive bar for a pre-dinner drink at very reasonable prices - unlike most 5-star hotels you do not pay rip-off prices for drinks anywhere in the hotel and you can even open the mini-bar in your room and imbibe at a very cheap price!

I have to give credit to the hotel management as a place as well run as this does not happen by chance - the elevators always work, the hot water is always hot, the bedrooms and spacious public areas kept beautifully clean,and a request for something in the room is always attended to immediately.

My only slight criticism is the main (Ocean) dining room. It does produce a wonderful buffet breakfast which is really outstanding and is usually enjoyed in the attractive outside area. However I found the evening buffet dinner, taken inside, sometimes below standard, and the cavernous room with no atmosphere does not encourage the diner to linger for long. There are other hotel dining options, including an attractive-looking sushi restaurant, but I did not try this as this food is not to my taste.

My recommendation to anyone going to Madeira is to book themselves into the Vidamar, but, if the comparative costs work out, to consider the bed and breakfast option, rather than the usual half-board, as there are plenty of outside restaurants within a 5-minute walk. As mentioned by other reviewers, the room upgrade option is well worth the extra.

Room Tip: Go for the upgrade to the Superior room facing the sea front at level 7 or higher.
3  Thank HytheTony
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I stayed here for 10 days in November 2013.
I found the staff knew what I was talking about when I went in the restaurant from the first evening meal to breakfast the following morning. I had a chef that told me which things would be alright. If I wasn't happy with any item he would go away and cook me something else. Nothing was too much trouble. The staff gave me a selection of gluten free bread each morning. Which they would toast for me in a separate toaster if I wanted it done.

Room Tip: Higher floor the better for sea view.
2  Thank gregorio99