Stay 2nd December 608
A very warm welcome with a smile that said pleased to see you. All the staff on reception were helpful during our stay and the friendliness of all the staff and their cheerful willingness in dealing with guests will be one of the best memories of our stay at the Vidamar. Dining room staff quickly recognised us and knew where we wanted to be seated. At breakfast our request for boiling water to make our coffee was remembered.. Pool staff were quick to arrive with mattresses and towels and our daily maid always with a smile.
The Vidamar is a new hotel, very modern in design and even with a map sometimes difficult to find ones way around. the lower floors. It is exceptionally well maintained and clean. With a bus stop almost outside the door it has easy access to Funchal - for the more active a walk of around 20 minutes.
Our room on floor 6 a sea facing superior was 30’x10’ aprox to include a large bathroom plus balcony and was stylishly furnished with huge king size bed and large sitting area with settee and easy chair, a small dressing table surprisingly with no mirror and a drawer unit housing the fridge. Our daily cleaner made the place shine
Plenty of power points for mobile charging etc but a design fault in that the only place you could boil the kettle was on the floor. The fridge cost 6 Euros to open but then gave you the contents, a kitkat, nuts and 6 drinks -a bargain. It was supposed to be refreshed daily but for some reason it wasn’t. The TV has around 40 channels but only BBC World Service of the main UK channels. The lighting gave a relaxing air at night but was totally inadequate for reading. Free WiFi is available in the room with a download speed around 1.6M . Newspapers can be ordered at Reception and are delivered to your room at 8.15am. These are a full electronic version as the UK papers do not arrive until after lunch.
All meals are served buffet style. At breakfast a varied buffet of cold meats, cheeses etc and plenty of choice including cava The hot breakfast looked good but unfortunately wasn’t hot despite the steam arising from the containers and was only tried once. Don’t forget the specially cooked omelettes - delicious .
A buffet dinner is provided with a different theme each night (Madeiran, Italian, Portuguese International ,Brazilian , Mar (sea) buffet and Tropical), We arrived on time to ensure our hot food was hot. A lovely cold buffet for starters and main. We searched in vain for king prawns, fresh salmon, an individually cooked steak or perhaps a sea bass, food we would expect in a good 4 and 5 star hotel, though in fairness through the week they did appear in bite sized portions. What we did find was less expensive food well presented, perfectly cooked and over the week a myriad of different tastes, a lot of fish and little meat, but we were well satisfied with both the quality and the quantity. A reasonably priced wine list with a very nice house white at Euro12 , but water at Euros4.50 for 1 litre a rip off and certainly puts the price of petrol into perspective. Smaller bottles were even more expensive pro rata’
We ate out under the dine around scheme only at Mama Mias once as we were happy with the hotel meals, and enjoyed the ambiance and service but thought the additional expense over the Euro15 per head allowance not worth the extra even with water at Euro 2.60 a litre!! Maybe we caught them on a bad night.
With hind sight we realized how healthily we had been fed. No chips with every thing, no greasy food, no cream and no ice cream and despite eating too much no weight gain!
The hotel has all the facilities of a good holiday hotel but does not seem to play to them. Maybe it was too off season. There is only one bar and this doesn’t open until 18.00 hours! Musical entertainment is available from 21.00 but was quite low key and attracted few guests. The drinks were reasonably priced especially as happy hour with a 30% discount lasted all night.
Would we stay again. Yes, the quiet laid back style suited us and as mentioned above we cannot praise the staff enough.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- VIDAMAR RESORTS MADEIRA has a privileged ocean front position with direct access to the Atlantic. It is located on the main touristic area of "Lido", at walking distance from shopping centres, bars, bus stops, supermarkets and tourist attractions. The Madeira International Airport is only at 18 km. Designed in a modern architectural style, the Hotel offers 300 quite spacious rooms (39m2), all sea facing and with private balconies overlooking the gardens and the Atlantic Ocean. Rooms are equipped with individual air-conditioned/heated system, cable TV, sitting area and desk, tea and coffee making facilities, free safe, fridge and Wi-Fi. The room service is available around the clock. VIDAMAR RESORTS MADEIRA offers a wide variety of restaurants. Here you can discover the DINE AROUND concept featuring open air, sea view and sunset dining options. From romantic dinners to family fun restaurants, Dine Around privileges a special dining scheme that allows VIDAMAR guests to sample around various cuisines throughout the Resort: the international Ocean Buffet Restaurant, the Italian Mamma Mia, the Madeiran Casa das Espetadas and the Japanese KOI Sushi Bar. The Sea Platform, the biggest on the Island, offers infinity salted water swimming pools as well as private and direct access to the Ocean, restaurant, bar, multi-activity court and Aquatica Kids World. For those who look for a sport experience, the VIDA Health Club offers several group classes and cardio fitness equipment, floodlight tennis court, squash court, tennis table, as well as an Aqua Area with indoor heated swimming pool, Jacuzzi and sauna. All facilities are free to our guests. The seaside MAR Thalasso SPA guarantees sensory journeys or, at least, relaxing experiences assured by the animated Talassotherapy swimming pool, the 14 treatment rooms (one exterior) and the magnificent views to the Ocean from all spa areas. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Expedia, Booking.com, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Priceline, Ebookers, LateRooms, 5viajes2012 S.L., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your VidaMar Resort Hotel Madeira reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cs Madeira Atlantic Resort And Sea Spa
- Cs Madeira Atlantic Resort & Sea Spa Hotel Funchal
- Cs Madeira Atlantic Hotel Sea
- VidaMar Resort Hotel Madeira Funchal