VidaMar Resort Hotel Madeira
US$159
US$118
Lince Hotel Madeira(Funchal)(Great Value!)
US$112
US$86
Hotel The Cliff Bay(Funchal)
US$402
US$215
US$193
Elvoline
2,947 results
All reviewsmamma miaocean restaurantdine around optionsushi restaurantlisboa barkoi sushisea platformhalf boardcasa dasinspired luxury escapesbroadway travelindoor poola superior sea view roomsalt waterpiano barbreakfast and dinnerstar hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 May 2014

My wife and I have just returned from a wonderful few days staying at this superb hotel in sunny Madeira.
The hotel experience was fantastic from the outset, and continued unabated until it was time to leave. It is said that first impressions count, and it was very much so on this occasion.
The reception staff were very welcoming, smiling,and polite, explaining the 'workings' of the hotel in some detail. We were whisked up to our room (614) to find that our luggage had been delivered, and we had not even noticed that it had disappeared from the reception area.
Our room and balcony overlooked the gardens, outdoor pools and the Atlantic. It was extremely clean, well proportioned and the twin beds (double the size of UK ones) were very comfortable indeed. Our sheets were changed as required, as were the towels in the en-suite double basin bathroom, complete with bath/shower facility.
With regard to meals I can only say that the breakfast buffet menu is fantastic, with an enormous range of both Continental and English menus, hot and/or cold, with plenty of fresh fruits available. Do try the local grown bananas - far superior to the Fairtrade ones one buys in UK!
The evening buffet menu can become a little tedious, but the facility to eat in one of the hotel's on-site associated restaurants (with a reduction of 15 Euros per hotel guest) is highly recommended. The food and service in three of the ones we tried was excellent, and the additional costs were very reasonable.
The hotel is vast, but does offer innumerable facilities, from both indoor and outdoor swimming pools, a range of supervised activities, facilities for both tiny children and teens, et al. However, none of the activities are obligatory - one can just 'crash out' on one of the many sun loungers (towels provided) either in the olive garden or by one of the two infinity pools. The hotel has, in addition, a dedicated member of staff who will arrange various tours around Madeira at the gueast's request.
As always, all the staff are very willing to please and very polite.
Because we have a son (married and with a young family) who is confined to wheelchair mobility, we were interested in establishing what the hotel facilities were like for such guests.
I can confirm that disabled persons are treated in exactly the same way as other guests. The 3 disabled rooms available at the hotel are designed like other 'ordinary' rooms, facing the sea with balcony and at ground level, with additional widened doors etc. The bathroom has a dedicated shower facility. In addition, virtually all areas of the hotel grounds have built-in ramps which are perfectly adequate for disabled people, and allow (with the possible usage of the many lifts in the hotel) disabled access to most parts of the many facilities.
As you may have gathered, if you have read thus far, I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone who is looking for a first class relaxing holiday in wonderful surroundings, and it is highly likely that my wife and I will return in the future.

Room Tip: Choose a room with sea view and balcony on the 6th floor upwards (to 10) to enjoy a fantastic experience
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Jonibee45
Reviewed 17 May 2014

wonderful hotel, rather different.. superb location. beautiful views, excellent service. wasnt expecting such facilities for children. Not just for couples at all. great kids club and things to do. Food outstanding and best value for money. we are going again thats for sure!!

Room Tip: beautiful Sea views
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank sarah w
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I recommend this hotel, without hesitation, whether you are here for business or pleasure. I visited for business, and it was also very relaxing.

The staff at reception are very welcoming, organised and helpful.

I entered my room (743) and the room stretched out a long way to the balcony. Spacious and spotless. Decent (but not outstanding) complimentary shower gels, shampoos etc.

Nice balcony with sea view. I slept one night with the balcony door open to enjoy the balmy air. Lovely. Comfortable bed.

Outside, the two disappearing edge seawater-filled pools were sheer delight - refreshing, certainly, but not too cold, and in the beautiful Madeiran sun with a view of the ocean on one side and palm trees to the side, it was special. Go indoors and there is a decent jacuzzi, steam room and sauna as well as an indoor pool that opens to the outside.

Breakfast was great. Huge selection of cooked items, nicely done (scrambled eggs very good, as were the sauteed mushrooms); a changing selection of accompaniments, from cinnamon toast to pancakes, and an omelette station outside. Lovely sweet fresh fruit, local bananas and delicious honey cake.

The hotel is well located for local shops and services.

A relaxing stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank mindyourhotel
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Just spent a week here. Not my normal sort of holiday as prefer looking after myself. As well as that the only option is half board. So we baled out a couple of times & went into town to eat. More atmospheric & more interesting.
The place itself lends itself to relaxation we found. The staff in the main were excellent, very helpful & accommodating. Room was good, we were on floor 8. Did get bitten a couple of times by leaving the doors open. Pool & facilities were excellent. Loads of space round you so you don't feel hemmed in.
My only grouse would be the food. Breakfasts were fine, I'm happy with a buffet then & the egg lady was good. We ate at 3 of the other restaurants in an evening which were all pretty reasonable, even if you would expect an Italian restaurant to know the difference between mozzarella & Parmesan!! The main place was a bit of a scrum. Ok but not 5*
All in all though a well located decent place to stay.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank jims86
Reviewed 12 May 2014

The Vidamar gave us a great holiday with excellent service. As I am a vegan, I was delighted to find that the chef prepared superb food just for me. It was full of flavour, beautifully cooked and presented and all plant based. I had Portuguese, Italian, Morrocan, Japanese dishes and my husband enjoyed the whole range of cuisine prepared for the hotel. The staff could not have been more helpful. It was a holiday to remember!
F M