Having visited Madeira on Good Friday last year as a port of call whilst on a cruise, my husband and I decided that we would like to celebrate our Pearl Wedding Anniversary on the island and booked our 7 night stay at the CS Madeira through Thomson Holidays. We chose the hotel purely on the photographs and details we saw on the Thomson website. We also booked a hire car for the week and, thinking that we might be out until mid evening some days, we chose board on a 'Bed & Breakfast' basis.
On booking in at Reception, the receptionist happened to mention that there would be a special dinner on Valentine's Day and I replied that we would be celebrating a special wedding anniversary on that day. We spent the day in question at the Tropical Gardens and, on returning to our room in the late afternoon, were surprised - but quite delighted - to discover a chocolate cake and a bottle of sparkling wine, along with a note from the hotel management wishing us 'Many Congratulations'.
We were very pleased with our room, which was extremely comfortable, having a nice 'sitting' area, as well as a very pleasant balcony overlooking the gardens and sea. We had a very efficient kettle, but had to 'pinch' extra tea bags and coffee packets off the cleaner's trolley in order to see us through the day!! Milk was also a problem! Sometimes the cleaner would leave us some - and sometimes we would have to remember to bring some back from breakfast with us.
Our experience of the hotel's food was limited to breakfast and, to be honest, we were not too impressed. Obviously, the food offered has to meet the tastes of guests from all over the World but it would seem quite a basic service to offer hot as well as cold plates when offering hot as well as cold foods! I don't think that any of the servers, over the seven mornings, got our breakfast drinks order correct! I loved the coffee, but my husband is a 'tea man' and, however hard he tried to make his order of 'English Breakfast tea' clear to whichever server we had, he never got it first time. Earl Grey. Green. Chamomile. Peppermint. Sometimes it came with milk - but usually without! The toaster caused alot of the English guests to start conversing! To get the toast to the right shade often took three or even four attempts.
Evening entertainment didn't appear to exist - except for one evening, at the beginning of our stay, when the girl singer had a very bad cold, and wheezed and snuffled her way through a few songs. Consequently, we relied on the TV in our room for some entertainment and, more particularly, news with BBC World and CNN.
The rooms were kept spotless. On the occasion when we left our room for the day with the 'Do Not Disturb' sign still on show, and we subsequently returned to an unmade up room, we very apologetically phoned down to Reception and a cleaner arrived within 10 minutes.
We would very much like to return to Madeira sometime in the future, and would certainly consider returning to stay at the CS Madeira - and we would definitely recommend it to friends. It has a superb position, with its seafront outlook and its proximity to the centre of Funchal. Buses are passing by constantly - and a taxi from the centre of Funchal to the hotel is approximately 4 Euros. There is a good choice of restaurants within a very short walk, as well as a well-stocked supermarket.
Having the hire car was a bonus. It gave us great independence, and we were able to decide day -by-day where we would go, depending on how the weather looked in the morning. More often than not we got it right!
All in all, we both felt we'd had a great week - and the CS Madeira played a good part in making us feel that. It was just a shame that we didn't enjoy the 'Breakfast Experience' very much !
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- VIDAMAR RESORTS MADEIRA has a privileged ocean front position with direct access to the Atlantic. It is located on the main touristic area of "Lido", at walking distance from shopping centres, bars, bus stops, supermarkets and tourist attractions. The Madeira International Airport is only at 18 km. Designed in a modern architectural style, the Hotel offers 300 quite spacious rooms (39m2), all sea facing and with private balconies overlooking the gardens and the Atlantic Ocean. Rooms are equipped with individual air-conditioned/heated system, cable TV, sitting area and desk, tea and coffee making facilities, free safe, fridge and Wi-Fi. The room service is available around the clock. VIDAMAR RESORTS MADEIRA offers a wide variety of restaurants. Here you can discover the DINE AROUND concept featuring open air, sea view and sunset dining options. From romantic dinners to family fun restaurants, Dine Around privileges a special dining scheme that allows VIDAMAR guests to sample around various cuisines throughout the Resort: the international Ocean Buffet Restaurant, the Italian Mamma Mia, the Madeiran Casa das Espetadas and the Japanese KOI Sushi Bar. The Sea Platform, the biggest on the Island, offers infinity salted water swimming pools as well as private and direct access to the Ocean, restaurant, bar, multi-activity court and Aquatica Kids World. For those who look for a sport experience, the VIDA Health Club offers several group classes and cardio fitness equipment, floodlight tennis court, squash court, tennis table, as well as an Aqua Area with indoor heated swimming pool, Jacuzzi and sauna. All facilities are free to our guests. The seaside MAR Thalasso SPA guarantees sensory journeys or, at least, relaxing experiences assured by the animated Talassotherapy swimming pool, the 14 treatment rooms (one exterior) and the magnificent views to the Ocean from all spa areas. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Expedia, TravelUp, Prestigia, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, LateRooms, Ebookers, Agoda, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your VidaMar Resort Hotel Madeira reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cs Madeira Atlantic Resort And Sea Spa
- Cs Madeira Atlantic Resort & Sea Spa Hotel Funchal
- Cs Madeira Atlantic Hotel Sea
- VidaMar Resort Hotel Madeira Funchal