Good hotel right on the Praia Formosa seafront, stayed here in June 2014. Rooms are very clean and reasonably well appointed for the money; beds are very comfortable. All public areas are cleans and well looked after (although the hotel could do with its own public internet access rather than relying on a router servicing the MEO Portuguese public internet system - holidaymakers using mobiles and tablets to make use of the internet were everywhere in reception and it is very heavily used).
The main beef is with the food. It is very plentiful, well cooked and beautifully arranged, but... a bit bland. Chicken, beef strips in the usual spicy sauce and sardines or scabbard fish where invariably on the menu - this is the only all-inclusive hotel in the Pestana chain so you would have thought that more effort would go into making the daily menu more interesting as its obviously heavily used by residents. As other reviews have noted the evening entertainment needs a lot of refreshment as it varies from wholly unentertaining to occasionally so. This area, and Reception, are too close to the restaurant although this bad design is something the hotel can do little about.
Would I stay here again? No - but I can't honestly say I had a bad time here. The staff are very friendly and helpful and arranging trips, and getting the free hotel bus into Funchal, were a doddle. But they do need to address the blandness and variety of the food on offer.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Booking.com, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Pestana Ocean Bay Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pestana Bay Ocean Aparthotel Hotel Funchal
- Pestana Bay Ocean Aparthotel Funchal
- Pestana Bay Hotel Madeira
- Pestana Ocean Bay Hotel Madeira/Funchal