My friend and I (both pensioners) stayed here from 9-23 June. Room was on first floor with stunning views from balcony, outside of which was a roof garden. Room was comfortable and cleaned everyday. The staff were very welcoming when we arrived and throughout our stay were always polite and friendly. Most guests seemed to be 50+ including wheelchair users, which must have posed some problems as the hotel is at sea level and quite a climb up to the road. There is an outside lift (1 euro per day) but still quite a walk through the gardens of another hotel and up the steep incline of the car park to the main road.
The first few days were very quiet (no probs with sunbeds!) but a party of 150 Polish workers then arrived on a free holiday, courtesy of their firm. They were apparently coming in groups of 150 p.w. They had tables reserved for dinner and it was sometimes difficult to find anywhere to sit. Some guests on other floors were kept awake half the night by their partying and one British couple said they had had no sleep for 5 nights. I should point out that they were not youngsters, but mostly middle-aged plus, and on our last night I was woken up at 3am by shouting outside our door. I went out and found a chap around 55 shouting (in Polish!) down the corridor to another of a similar age. As none of them seemed to speak any other language, I pointed to my watch and mimed "Sh" to which I received a rant, in Polish of course. At the end of the first lots stay, they had a presentation of diplomas at dinner, which meant that the rest of us had to listen to a woman making a speech on a (loud) microphone and clapping and cheers. It would have been more sensible to have put them in the Conference Room so other guests could eat in peace.
We booked with First Choice and their Resort service was abysmal. We waited several times to see a Rep at the times stated on their Notice Board and no one came. Everyday we looked at the board and after about 10 days the list disappeared not to be replaced. One of the girls on Reception (Helena?) spotted the rep and kindly rang our room. When we queried the disappearance of the rota she said the times had been changed the previous week and she was waiting for a new one to be printed. Do young people not know how to use a pen?? She was supposed to put a note under our door the day before departure stating the time of pick up - we never had one. We had other problems with First Choice (I shall be in touch with them) but I cannot fault the hotel itself.
Be warned - there is a lot of construction work and road works in Funchal itself and it was difficult to get from A to B in some places.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Pestana Ocean Bay All Inclusive is an All Inclusive hotel (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks and domestic beverages) located in Funchal, Madeira. It is located 1 minute on foot from Formosa beach with panoramic views of the Câmara de Lobos hillside. It offers an outdoor swimming pool with a jacuzzi, a Health Club with sauna, Turkish bath, gym and game room and a playground. For dining, we offer one restaurant and 2 bars. Take advantage of our free transfers to the centre of Funchal. All rooms face the sea and each has a balcony and Wi-Fi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , World Independent Hotel Promotion, Booking.com, Expedia, LoveHolidays, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, PESTANA MANAGEMENT - Servicos de Gestao S.A., TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Pestana Ocean Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pestana Bay Ocean Aparthotel Hotel Funchal
- Pestana Bay Ocean Aparthotel Funchal
- Pestana Bay Hotel Madeira
- Pestana Ocean Bay Madeira/Funchal