“Rooms not five star”

Ranked #33 of 85 Hotels in Funchal
Essex
“Rooms not five star”
Reviewed 4 January 2013

Stayed at this hotel from 29th Dec to 3rd Jan. Booked this hotel for it's location and promise in the brochure of a five star hotel. Soooo disappointed. I know five star hotels abroad are different to those in this country and the UAE but the rooms in this hotel barely pass for a four star. No tea and coffee making facilities, I understand this can be the norm abroad but feel that a five star should provide them. No trousers press or iron and ironing board, although you can 'rent' them for five euros a day, either of these should be standard in a five star hotel room never mind about 'renting' them. No mirror above the dressing table so ladies have to stand in the bathroom to do hair and make-up with no nature light. No radio alarm or even a clock. There was a couple of white dressing gowns supplied in the room one of which had blood stains on it and the towels are certainly not five star quality, more like three star.

We stayed on a B&B basic and found the breakfast to have a good choice however on the first night as we were so tired we opted to eat in the A la Carte restaurant, this was not as good as we expected, vegetables on all three meals were luke warm with my main course of fish having to be sent back as it was cold. Having said that the NYE Gala dinner was extremely good.

Staff are pleasant enough although the checking in process could be greatly improved as it's currently extremely slow.

While in possibly one of the best locations in Funchal I most certainly wouldn't go back and would say it's an overpriced four star hotel due to the lack of facitlities and basic dated bedrooms.

Room Tip: Ask for a harbour view on a higher floor and watch the cruise liners coming in.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (711)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 2 January 2013

It's a grand hotel, designed by Oscar Niemeyer, with good rooms and spacious common areas, although a little overrated for five star hotel. Nonetheless the service is excellent, the staff always tries to do an extra mile to satisfie the client. And it has an amazing view of Funchal and the sea.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Joao_Ab
Ringwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 December 2012

Whilst not sure about the five star rating, this hotel represents good value for money and has excellent facilities in probably one of the best positions in Funchal, with easy access to the town, which was a big plus for us. As half board guests, all meals were buffet service, and although I applaud the chef's efforts to vary the food, the buffet format was a little repetitive. Having said this, breakfasts were always good (take the tip from another tripadvisor review and order a fresh pot of coffee rather than the poor quality coffee from the machines) and for dinner the salad and dessert offerings in particular were always impressive. Food quality was generally high. If we were to return, I would chose B&B only as there are numerous excellent restaurants in the town. Seeking some variety, we opted out of our half board twice in the week to sample another restaurant and only found out by accident that it was possible to go to a dinner show at the attached casino restaurant at a cost of only 10 euros each. Excellent value, very good food and much recommended. One irritant during our visit was the rather loud and sickly piped Christmas carols music, which proved impossible to curtail. Staff were cheerful and helpful throughout. If you have a hire car, very limited free parking spaces can be a problem.

Room Tip: Chose a room on the casino/garden side, all of which have some outlook to the pool and cruise termin...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Godfrey E
Portree
Reviewed 19 December 2012

I have just spent a week at the casino park hotel. The room was spacious and comfortable and attention had been paid to my request for a room near the lift as I have mobility problems. The food was average but breakfast was very good with a wide range of items. I had booked with the pestana bay which I knew suited my needs so was disappointed to find this hotel did not. There was a steep ramp to the dining area which I could not cope with. Staff provided a wheelchair service cheerfully but it was inconvenient and rather embarrassing. I could not reach the saga lounge so missed out on social events. Staff were unfailingly pleasant but the problems getting around mean I would not return. I did check with saga in advance but they either did not know or did not tell me about potential problems

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Pisa
Reviewed 18 December 2012

Nice enough Hotel but certainly does not merit five star rating. Service was very good. Rooms a decent size with a very comfortable bed although there is a little bit of road noise - if you leave balcony door open. Pool and bars excellent. Excellent location next to the Casino, restaurants and a ten minute walk (down hill) to central Funchal. The overall holiday was very good value for money and we will visit Funchal again.

Room Tip: Best rooms facing gardens and pool area I would think that most rooms have at least a partial sight...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 November 2012

Had a very bad experience stopping at this hotel.
When we first arrived we was greeted with a huge queue to the dining area where the food was cold and unacceptable.

The service at the bar was discriminating against woman where males was served straight away and no service was given to us on 3 occasions.. Especially on 1 occasion when the male waiter shouted at me to use alternative coffee machine. A female waiter happily served me a fresh coffee on the previous occasion.

Brandy ran out on the last night but was available to a paying customer this should not be expected to an all inclusive customer.

Access poor to dining room for elderly and disabled.

After a few days there i wanted to come home. This is one of my highlights of the year and has put me off coming back to your hotel as I felt extremely vulnerable and upset from the service provided.

• Stayed December 2011
8 Thank Henson17
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2012

Four us stayed at what was described as a 5* hotel. We joined a group. We should have been at the Pestana Bay 4* but it was being refurbished. We were all inclusive which we understood was not what the Casino Park was prepared for but surely a 5* hotel should be able to cater for an influx of 90+ with months of warning. We found it disgusting in a 5* hotel to be forced to wear hospital type wrist labels at all times. Our rooms were adequate but not very spacious. The bottom sheet on my bed had a rip on the side, so I was very surprised to find a rip in the same spot on the bottom sheet for the whole of our two week stay!!.Towels and toiletries were in plentiful supply although one day we did not have hand towels.
All four of us were very disappointed with the food, although I did enjoy the salads. One evening the chicken legs were blood red next to the bone! We had to constantly ask for items which had run out, e.g. no milk in the machines, no coffee or decaf sachets, empty dishes and having to wait for fresh supplies. The bar actually ran out of brandy on our last evening. We did not go down to the bar until after 10.30 each evening so were not heavy drinkers. We complained about the disgusting picnics provided on the first day, which we fed to the birds but were very pleased with the customer services manageress who immediately made arrangements for the next day for the items, literally in the plastic laundry bags, to be changed. The picnics for the rest of our stay were very good and came in a nice box. I just wish we had been able to stay at the Pestana Bay Hotel as I have read good reviews on Tripadvisor. If we chose to visit Madeira again we would definitely not stay at this hotel. If we chose a 5* hotel we would expect 5* service.

Room Tip: Rooms on each floor in the lower numbers had the best views but I did not have any complaint about t...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple