As you can see from our photos, this hotel complex is beautiful, stylish; I would say that it has been recently refurbished; it is also very clean. The gardens are beautiful and well maintained.
The staff are polite and helpful.
Guests at both the Miramar Garden and the Miramar Village can use all facilities of both joined hotels.
The breakfast was very varied - together with a continental breakfast, there's plenty of hot food choices, pancakes, various types of breads/rolls/croissants etc, proper cereals not the cheaper supermarkets own branded stuff, loads of fresh juices, different coffees and teas etc,
We didn't eat the evening meal; it was a buffet but didn't look too appealing.
We booked a Superior Studio. The room was very stylish and spacious.
The kitchenette was very small and not very well kitted out but a visit to reception to discuss the matter solved this. Our balcony was only small with a wall instead of railings; this meant that we didn't sit out on the balcony. However, this was probably due to the studio being on the 4th floor as plenty of other balconies had railings instead and would have been more pleasant to sit out on. The air-conditioning consists of a ceiling fan, which is particularly dangerous - if I had raised my arms to take off a t-shirt I would have had my hands chopped off!! Our room was cleaned, the beds made and fresh toiletries and towels in the bathroom, every daily. There is a safe in the room but a 12 euro charge for the week. There was also a hairdryer in the bathroom. Take a travel iron with you as there is a charge per day if you hire one from reception.
The public areas are clean and well maintained. There are plenty of sun loungers, but there is a charge for parasols.
There is a choice of 3 pools, 2 outdoors and 1 indoors. There is also a table tannis room.
As a personal trainer it was important to have a gym facility. The gym is adequate for a workout with several different exercise machines and dumbbells from 5 - 25kgs. Free towels are also provided in the gym/jacuzzi.
The pool bar is expensive for both food and drink. However, just a very short walk around the corner from the hotel is a very nice glass fronted restaurant "X Tonel" - turn left out of the main entrance of the hotel, and a 5 minute walk around the corner, opposite the car park for Reid's Palace, situated together with a few newsagents and a lovely cake shop. X Tonel do a really tasty pasta dish together with excellent chicken sandwiches. The owner even made and wrapped up some chicken sandwiches for our return journey home.
You can turn left out of the hotel's main entrance and take the 25 minute walk down the hill to the new and old towns. You might want to take a taxi back up the long steep hill though.
If you turn right out of the hotel's main entrance then you will find plenty of other eateries.
Restaurants we recommend are "A Bica" and "The Steak House". "A Bica" is in the old town. However, it is a small restaurant down a small side street so you will need a small map (you can get a free map from the small qiosk outside the Casino hotel which on the way down to the new & old towns. Ask the staff to pinpoint "A Bica" in hospital street. Another resaurant we recommend is "The Steak House". If you turn right out of the hotels main entrance and follow the road until you come to a hill on your left, going down to some restaurants and a small shopping arcade. At the very end of the arcade is a supermarket (Pingo Doce). Take the stone steps upstairs and walk to the end of the arcade - you will then be at the small "Steak House" restaurant.
Transfers from and back to the airport we arranged from the UK months before our departure. www.madeira-airport-transfers.com the company confirmed everything via email, you only need to pay the driver on arrival, the prices were very reasonable (23 euros per trip), the driver was waiting on our arrival with a board with our name on it and the return driver was on time too.
The airport is by the side of a mountain and as such the winds are very turbulant and tend to play havok with incoming flights. It is the 3rd most dangerous airport in the world!! The 3 1/2 hour flight time turned into 7 hours as we had to refuel in Faro, Portugal just in case we had multiple unsuccessful chances at landing then we would have had to land at a nearby island. It is a bit scary but hopefully this won't put you off going to this beautiful island.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Pestana Miramar is a 4-star hotel on Funchal, Madeira, located just a few steps from the centre of the city, surrounded by 5000 m² of tropical gardens. It is located on the old Funchal manor with incredible views of the city, the port and the bay. It sits only 12 minutes on foot from the beach and 15 minutes on foot from the centre of Funchal. During your stay you can enjoy two swimming pools (outdoor and indoor) and relax at the Health Club with a gym, sauna, Turkish bath and Jacuzzi. For dining, you can choose between three restaurants or for lighter meals, the bar. For children we offer the Kids Club, a game room and a giant open air chess set. All rooms are equipped with air conditioning and a balcony overlooking marvellous gardens and the swimming pool. We also offer free Wi-Fi and some rooms have a kitchenette. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LoveHolidays, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., Ebookers and HotelQuickly so you can book your Pestana Miramar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pestana Miramar Garden Resort Aparthotel Hotel Funchal
- Pestana Miramar Garden Funchal
- Pestana Miramar Garden Hotel Aparthotel
- Pestana Miramar Madeira/Funchal