Pestana Village
US$140
US$246
US$118
  • Restaurant
Hotel The Cliff Bay(Funchal)
US$284
Melia.com
US$209
US$146
1,036 results
All reviewswinter gardenmira marpool barceiling fanowner relationssuperior studiosmall kitchenettegardens are lovelythere is no air conditioningmini kitchenold towntime sharehappy hourlovely hotelone bedroom apartmentfunchal centrereception area
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Our experience of the resort was nothing but good.
The staff were friendly and helpful, the grounds and pools were well maintained with the botanical displays rivalling the botanic gardens in Funchal and the apartment was well furnished and clean. We had some morning sun on our balcony and there were sun loungers just outside the apartment in the grounds and around the pool if you wanted to sit in the sun at other times.
Be aware that the resort is up a fairly steep incline should you suffer mobility problems, but we did find a lift down through the adjoining Miramar resort which avoids the need to traverse the slope when walking down to town. There are bus stops and a taxi rank just outside the resort if required – about €5 to get into the centre of Funchal by cab from here.
The location is good with many pleasant restaurants in close proximity – we ate at a different one each night and had good quality meals at all. We had very good meals in the Miramar restaurant, Beef and Wine, Kon Tiki & the Funcho Gourmet in particular.
We had a hire car for the week which enabled us to explore most of the island but be aware that some of the roads are steep and narrow and the fast ones go through a lot of tunnels so views are limited if you take these. The resort does offer a range of trips and is close enough to amenities that having a car is not essential to enjoy the holiday.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Steve_And_Alison34
Susana S, Gerente de recepção at Pestana Village, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments on our resort.

We look forward to welcoming you in the near future,

Reviewed 4 April 2014

The hotel is well maintained, with very helpful staff, who make your stay an enjoyable experience.
The rooms are very clean, with excellent views, towels changed every day and bed linen as requested. The food is good with plenty of variety, the restaurant staff are very friendly and go out of their way to make sure everything is to your liking.

Room Tip: Ask for third floor ,322 to 325. These are rooms with a seaview
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank stephen e
PVMH, Executive Secretary at Pestana Village, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Its for us very rewarding to know that once again we meet your expectations, your comments will be passed on to our team.

We take this opportunity to thank again for choosing our hotel, and we hope to welcome you in an not to distant future.

With kindest regards,

Reviewed 11 March 2014

I arrived at 11.45 to a long queue of people trying to check-in one man on his own trying to check people in and sell them the evening meal deals. After 20 minutes a lady arrives to serve me and advise me that people are still in my room. I was told to come back in 15 minutes so I sat in the lounge. I returned to be told it would be longer and was given a voucher for a drink at the pool so I sat for 30 minutes before trying again. Finally I got my room keys at nearly 1pm.

My Room - number 413 was a nice size with a balcony overlooking the pool of the hotel next door The Miramar Hotel. I had 2 single beds pushed together. My bed was clean and comfortable. Plenty of pillows. Room temperature was fine. There was a small 2 ring hob, sink, kettle and some plates cutlery and cups. Plenty of storage space and ample coat hangers. TV phone table 2 chairs and table 2 chairs on the balcony. No internal or external noise. You can hear the music from the entertainment of an early evening but it finishes at a reasonable time.

The Bathroom - was a fair size. The bath had a shower in it. Toilet and be day. Plenty of towels including a beach towel each. Hairdryer, shampoo,gel and soaps replaced everyday. I had to ring down one day as no beach towels were left by the maid. It was difficult to get them dry over the washing line over the bath. Hotel policy not to hang them over the balcony. Shower was hot every time I used it.

The Pools, Gardens and Spa - The hotel has a big outdoor pool 19 degrees in temperature during my stay so I had it to myself most of the time! Plenty of loungers. The pool was open daily from 8am to 8pm. The pool bar was open until 6pm. You can use the indoor pool at The Miramar Hotel next door which I did. I would rather swim outside to be honest. Exercise room with Jacuzzi and Sauna which were nice and not busy. The hotel is set in beautiful gardens which you can walk around.

Food - Breakfast all looked and tasted very good but the hot breakfast was barely lukewarm in fact the baked beans were cold everyday. Fried and boiled eggs everyday. Bacon? mini sausage and sautéed mushrooms. Fresh cooked pancakes everyday. Plenty of fresh warm bread and rolls. Cereals, ham, cheese, yogurt and fresh fruit bananas and pineapple. Fruit juices tea and coffee.

Evening Meal 7pm - Buffet style. Soup of the day - in four days I had Tomato, Wheat, Potato and Pea soup all home made and very nice. Plenty of fresh bread and rolls. 4 different main dishes including beef lasagne, chicken in garlic, roast lamb and a fish of the day. Roast beef and pineapple one day. Potatoes, vegetables and a salad bar everyday. Dessert counter including creme caramel, chocolate gateau and fresh fruit. Half of Coral Beer/can of Diet Coke with my evening meal cost me E3.15 each.

Internet - free slow internet access at reception which did get busy with people waiting. Free Wi-Fi in public areas. Evening Entertainment was somebody singing/playing live ok if thats your kind of thing.

There is a Spar Supermarket a couple of minutes down the road. 2 pints of milk for E1.13 good supply of wines, beers and groceries. I brought a Giro card which costs 50c then E1.35 per bus journey or you can pay E1.95 on the bus per journey. The bus into Funchal stops outside the hotel. I did 4 single journeys which were very overcrowded. The walk into town is downhill 15 - 20 minutes.

Only downside really was the Reception there was always a queue of people waiting and normally one man serving.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank KimQueenofQuo
Susana S, Gerente de recepção at Pestana Village, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Many thanks for your kind contribution and honest opinion.
I am glad to read that in general you did like the service and the hospitality we deliver. Your comments will also help to address any future situations and for the constant training we do.
we do really look forward to your next visit, where no efforts will be spared to make your next stay a most enjoyable and memorable one.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

This hotel is a really good choice for Madeira, for the following reasons:
1. Within walking distance of Funchal old town, the harbour, the coastal promenade, etc. Also on a bus route for all of these.
2. It is set in THE most beautiful gardens: a huge bonus to come back from a few hours' out and about, and lie on a sunbed in the gardens.
3. The staff are friendly and helpful, especially Carlos Bruge.
4. It is all exceptionally clean.
5. You have a choice of restaurants onsite, as well as several restaurants within easy walking distance. The best restaurant on the complex, by far, is the Miramar. Best service too.
6. We had 2 minor problems whilst staying, and both were dealt with immediately and professionally.
We weren't 100% keen on:
a. Certain aspects of the breakfasts.
b. Most staff were wonderful but the occasional one was surly, whcih rather let the hotel down.
c. The service lacked consistency. Sometimes brilliant, and at other times not so good.

Room Tip: We had a one bedroom apartment, room 4108, which overlooked the gardens and the sea. It was perfect.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MARGOT W
Susana S, Gerente de recepção at Pestana Village, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Susana Freitas
Front Office Manager
Pestana Village Miramar Hotel

Reviewed 6 March 2014

This was my first visit to Madeira, and we were not disappointed with this hotel complex: staff were very helpful, and it was a wonderfully clean, attractive resort.
Very convenient with a short walk into the city centre, and a selection of restaurants/places to eat within a short walking distance.
Several reviewers have commented on the breakfasts; and whilst you will certainly not go hungry, (as the emphasis seems to be on quantity rather than quality), we felt that some of the dishes were of very poor quality. The fruit juice was over sweet and more like a fruit drink, the scrambled eggs are strange, and the cooked breakfasts are very fatty. That being said, there was plenty of choice with a cold buffet, cereals and fruit (quite a lot was tinned).
Lots of activities for children and evening entertainment in the bar area if you like that sort of thing.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that does not overlook the play area/winter garden if you like quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple