My husband and I have just returned from a weeks stay at this hotel staying on the B+B option.This was a good choice as there are plenty of good eateries within walking distance (even if you are sad and want mcdonalds and pizza hut without even trying the lovely Madeiran cuisine).We chose to eat at Mozart restaurant just down from the hotel on the Saturday evening where they do a set menu for 35 euros per person which included wine throughout the meal and coffee well worth the money but make sure you book as very popular.Our room overlooked a square where people played cards and dominoes during the day and evening which always seemed to attract a decent viewing audience and was also next to the cable car station.If you decide to go on the cable car to the gardens they are very hilly so be prepared (toboggan ride very good but not as fast as you would think though).There were plenty of cruise ships coming in and out during our stay which we were aware of as the Hotel provided a board telling you of the ships arriving so you could plan not to go up on cable cars on those days as it would be a lot busier.The weather was great while we were there and there was no problem with finding a free sunbed and parasol as there seemed to be enough for everyone even though the hotel was full.I would definately recommend this hotel and it was nice not to have to put up with kids running about and taking over the pool (no under 16 allowed at hotel ).Hotel and grounds kept spotless. We would book a sea view next time even though we could see the sea if you looked to the left of the balcony We never had any problem with the timeshare people we were told about it quickly at the welcome meeting but there was no pressure at all we even went over to the other resort and weren't even approached there. We did go on a jeep safari on the Friday for the full day which covered the north side of the island with some fantastic views over the island and excellent driving and commentary from our guide Dennis.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Porto Santa Maria lies at the water's edge in the very heart of Funchal's old centre. Its close relationship to the sea, the outstanding and exclusive views over the harbour where the cruise ships dock, its picturesque surroundings and the unique flavours of its cuisine result in genuine urban tranquility. A congenial hotel offering 146 rooms, restaurant, bars, direct access to the promenade, outdoor pool, indoor pool, SPA, gym, parking...all in the heart of the city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Travel Republic (UK), LoveHolidays, Booking.com, Expedia, LateRooms, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Ebookers so you can book your Porto Santa Maria Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Porto Santa Maria Funchal
- Porto Santa Maria Hotel Madeira/Funchal