We booked this hotel as part of a package deal with Thomas Cook for our Honeymoon last year as we had always wanted to go to Madeira and this hotel looked really nice. We were definitely not disappointed! The hotel is, in my opinion, in the best part of Funchal - right in the heart of the old town with many excellent restaurants literally on the doorstep (try Mozarts for a unique and quirky experience and superb good value menu!). At this end of the resort, there are no steep hills to climb which is another added bonus! As soon as we walked into the foyer, we knew this was a great hotel - the foyer is large, cool and airy with plenty of seats. The reception staff are extremely polite and helpful and they all speak very good English. Nothing is too much trouble. Our room was overlooking the sea and the marina where we had a brilliant view of the cruise ships that visit. The view is beautiful. The hotel staff had left us a wedding gift of champagne, flowers and fruit which was a lovely touch. The room was spacious with it's own air conditioning, a small kitchen area consisting of a hob and a fridge plus crockery, pans and utensils etc and a lovely clean bathroom with bath and a shower over. There was also a safe for your valuables. Everything was spotlessly clean. They even provide towels for taking down to the outdoor pool. The hotel has a gym (which we did not use!) and an indoor pool plus an excellent spa which offered a good selection of face and body treatments for both men and women (which we did indulge in!). The outdoor area consists of a pool and a good quantity of sun loungers and parasols plus an eating area serving hot and cold drinks (including alcohol) plus a decent selection of light lunches and snacks. The main restaurant serves a buffet style breakfast which has a very varied selection of items to choose from which should cater for most tastes and nationalities. It is a lovely big room with plenty of tables to choose from. The evening menu we personally found a little restricted and so we preferred to eat out most nights. However, they did a great barbecue night which consisted of lots of fish and meat dishes (you could have as much as you liked). There is also a bar with indoor seating and a balcony terrace. The bar staff were very attentive and friendly - in fact all the staff from the cleaners to the management, were all extremely helpful and pleasant. Evening entertainment was fairly typical of hotel entertainment - nothing outstanding - but it was pleasant enough to while away an hour or two after dinner. They also did an evening with the local folk group of singers/dancers which was highly entertaining and so full of fun and energy that I defy anyone not to come away feeling uplifted. All in all it was a perfect resort and a brilliant hotel, making a truly wonderful honeymoon. I would recommend this hotel without hesitation - so much so that we have booked it again for next year!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Porto Santa Maria lies at the water's edge in the very heart of Funchal's old centre. Its close relationship to the sea, the outstanding and exclusive views over the harbour where the cruise ships dock, its picturesque surroundings and the unique flavours of its cuisine result in genuine urban tranquility. A congenial hotel offering 146 rooms, restaurant, bars, direct access to the promenade, outdoor pool, indoor pool, SPA, gym, parking...all in the heart of the city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Porto Santa Maria Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Porto Santa Maria Funchal
- Porto Santa Maria Hotel Madeira/Funchal