This was our first stay on Madeira which we chose in preference to London because of the better climate in our later years.
We stayed between 6-13 January. My wife is less able so location was important as she cannot walk very far. Taxis are very close. The hotel is extremely clean and staff very friendly. A bottle of Asti Spumante and beautiful flowers to welcome us and to celebrate our 43 wedding anniversary were a nice surprise. The breakfast is very good, extremely varied and would cater for most nationalities. There are plenty of very good restaurants very close which is spoilt by the persistent in your face invitations to dine at their establishments which means you have to run the gauntlet until you find a way of avoiding most of them. We had garden/view of the harbour room which was extremely well equipped. You could even do some home cooking if you wanted!! It's a pity they charge for the use of the room safe but perhaps this charge will be removed when they no longer give a discount because of the sea defence noise which did annoy some. Perhaps next year we will have a full sea view!
Many of the residents of the hotel have stayed there before and it's not difficult to see why! We booked for next year to celebrate our next anniversary. Thank you to all concerned.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Porto Santa Maria lies at the water's edge in the very heart of Funchal's old centre. Its close relationship to the sea, the outstanding and exclusive views over the harbour where the cruise ships dock, its picturesque surroundings and the unique flavours of its cuisine result in genuine urban tranquility. A congenial hotel offering 146 rooms, restaurant, bars, direct access to the promenade, outdoor pool, indoor pool, SPA, gym, parking...all in the heart of the city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Jet2Holidays , LoveHolidays, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Porto Santa Maria Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Porto Santa Maria Funchal
- Porto Santa Maria Hotel Madeira/Funchal