Our first visit to Madeira and it won't be our last, to the island and this lovely hotel. The hotel is on the seafront in the old town, which makes it central for lots of varied eating places. The Monte cable car is a minute's walk away. Everything about the hotel is excellent, the rooms are immaculate, good sized and included a small kitchenette. We had a sea view room with a balcony with table and 2 chairs, looking out over the hotel grounds and the sea. There is still some work going on along the front but the work immediately in front of the hotel is due to be completed by the end of January - we didn't find the work any problem and the hotel credited each room with 10 euro a day for the 'inconvenience', a nice touch which paid for the evening cocktails. The breakfast buffet included anything you could want including several bottles of fizz on ice, with which some guests seemed pleased to start the day. The indoor swimming pool was excellent. Our favourite restaurants nearby were the Violin, Mozart and we particularly enjoyed Arsenio's grill as it had Fado singers every evening from 7 pm. We enjoyed walking around Funchal town but the waterfront is still undergoing major works, but once past the construction area you can walk for miles along the front. For your picnic, in Santa Maria street look out for the bakery/coffee shop (nearly opposite Django's), which sells takeaway ham or cheese rolls for 80c, the bread is fresh, lots of choice of rolls + a variety of cakes including the Madeiran custard tart, the waiter speaks good english and is very helpful. We went on a tour of the west of the island which was well organised and avoided using the new fast roads, so you got a good idea of what the island is really like. We will definitely go back to this hotel and next time we will be doing some of the levada walks.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Porto Santa Maria lies at the water's edge in the very heart of Funchal's old centre. Its close relationship to the sea, the outstanding and exclusive views over the harbour where the cruise ships dock, its picturesque surroundings and the unique flavours of its cuisine result in genuine urban tranquility. A congenial hotel offering 146 rooms, restaurant, bars, direct access to the promenade, outdoor pool, indoor pool, SPA, gym, parking...all in the heart of the city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Ebookers, Hotels.com, Priceline, Booking.com, TravelUp, Expedia, Hotel.de, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Porto Santa Maria Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Porto Santa Maria Funchal
- Porto Santa Maria Hotel Madeira/Funchal