It is so difficult to write a review of this hotel, except tp endorse the great majority of previous reviewers' comments that this is an outstanding hotel.
Wonderfully situated for walking to all the major attractions in Funchal; especially the old town, which on it's own, is a great experience which should not be missed.
Having arrived on an early flight from UK, we were advised that our room was not ready. This gave some relaxing time to sit in the delightfully cool and comfortable lobby/lounge area, and to have a mini stroll around the hotel facilities. Luggage was taken from us as we arrived and was next seen in our room.
Some information about the hotel which we hope will answer some of the questions that we could not find concise answers for prior to our visit:
Pool towels are provided and will be found in your room
Rooms are have a mini 'kitchen' area with a fridge ( a proper fridge, not a mini bar!), kettle and cutlery, crockery and utensils to make drinks and light lunches etc. There are two 'Spar' mini markets within minutes walk of the hotel for water and basic supplies.
Whilst there are plenty of sun beds, these do fill up on certain days. The hotel has a policy of not reserving the beds, but we still found that once a towel was on the bed, certain individuals would wander off and return possibly three hours later. The hotel did not seem to have any way of enforcing their policy. Our main gripe here is not with the hotel; but with the selfish and arrogant attitude of those individuals who cannot, and obviously will not consider others.
The roof terrace, accessed from the third floor, is delightful. With a full 360 degree view of the harbour and inland. Here there are a limited number of sun beds, some chairs and tables and a few comfortable sofas; but limited shade - Great for a warm cloudy day, but a sun trap otherwise.
Adjacent to the indoor pool, on the lower level, is a small gym: air conditioned and mirror fronted the modern equipment comprises a'Technogym' bike, treadmill, cross trainer and rower, together with a multi-gym bench and assorted weights.
Through the Captain's Bar there is a small library area with books to borrow (we assume take one and leave one).
Internet access is free in the public areas, but is at a charge in own rooms. There is a PC in the lobby area free to use.
There is a safe in each room for which use there us a charge of €12.00 per week. This seemed surprising that there should be a charge, but access to the digital coding is only available by a key available through reception-in other words, a secure system.
We are bound to have missed some information which we thought might be useful; but hopefully the few comments above night be found helpful.
We hope that other 'trippers' will find their stay at Santa Maria as pleasant as ours.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Porto Santa Maria lies at the water's edge in the very heart of Funchal's old centre. Its close relationship to the sea, the outstanding and exclusive views over the harbour where the cruise ships dock, its picturesque surroundings and the unique flavours of its cuisine result in genuine urban tranquility. A congenial hotel offering 146 rooms, restaurant, bars, direct access to the promenade, outdoor pool, indoor pool, SPA, gym, parking...all in the heart of the city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, LoveHolidays, Booking.com, Priceline, TravelUp, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, Hotel.de and HotelQuickly so you can book your Porto Santa Maria Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Porto Santa Maria Funchal
- Porto Santa Maria Hotel Madeira/Funchal