“Another wonderful stay”

Porto Santa Maria Hotel
Ranked #11 of 88 Hotels in Funchal
Reviewed 30 August 2014

Again we have spent our vacation in PSM. It's perfectly situated in the old town close to the seashore and with a wonderful garden. Lovely hotel, first class service and wonderful people working there. We have been here many times, travelling in spring and early autumn and we love to stay there.. We can recomend the hotel to everyone, and we are already planning a new stay next year.
We love to sit outside having breakfast, but if it's possible to have a wish...: I would prefer fried bacon instead of "cooked" :-)
Thanks a lot for a wonderful stay and see you next year

1  Thank Arild A
Carla_Bacanhim, General Manager at Porto Santa Maria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2014

Thank you for your kind feedback, I’m so glad to learn that we manage to correspond to your expectations once again.
I will have a word with our Chef and let’s see if on your next visit we will have the bacon as you prefer.
It’s a great pleasure to welcome our loyal guests back to our hotel and I hope to see you soon.
Carla

Write a ReviewReviews (1,973)

Reviewed 29 August 2014

hotel was very good , friendly staff great rooms fantastic views of the sea . No body reserved sunbeds always able to get one any time of day,swimming pools was very good . would certainly go back again . had a great time

Room Tip: get a sea view
1  Thank ShirleyN45
Carla_Bacanhim, General Manager at Porto Santa Maria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2014

Thank you for your review, I’m glad to learn that you enjoyed Madeira , our facilities and service.
I hope to welcome you back in a near future
Carla Bacanhim

Reviewed 28 August 2014

Have just returned from a week at the Porto Santa Maria hotel, it's a lovely hotel , situated in the old town in Funchal. Everything is within easy walking distance, lots of cafés and shops. The hotel is modern spotlessly clean, the staff are excellent and friendly. At breakfast there is a huge choice of fruit and cooked items all delicious. Our room was great spacious and comfortable with 2 verandas. We ate out in the evenings as there is a huge choice of restaurants on your door step, Cafe Mozart is worth a visit. This was our first visit to Madeira , we would definitely go again and definitely to this hotel, it's great.

Room Tip: 3rd floor is good.
6  Thank Nick S

I’m delighted to learn that your first visit to Madeira was such a wonderful experience and that we manage to correspond to your expectations,
It will give us all a great pleasure to welcome you back to Porto Santa Maria in a near future

Reviewed 27 August 2014

Porto Santa Maria Hotel felt like a family run hotel rather than part of a chain (Porto Bay Hotels & Resorts) at the heart of the old town of Funchal. It is ideally located for getting around Funchal with the bus terminus for local transport, tour buses, taxis and the cable car all within walking distance from the hotel entrance. The room was of a good size, clean and tidy with a small 2 ring electric cooker provide along with all the pots, pans and cutlery etc being provided along with a fridge to store anything purchased. I used the small Spar shop to get some essential coffee, water etc which I kept in the room. The bathroom was clean and well stocked with towels (Blue) for the sunbeds and pool area and the usual (white) for general use. I tended to eat out as the choice of restaurants is exceptional just outside the gates. I did however book the gourmet night in the Arsenal Restaurant which was a great night with amazing food and wine being paired to the courses as they were served. I tended to use the pool area sunbeds and there are further sunbeds just outside the restaurant area, this area is served by the Promenade Bar with food and snacks available. The guys in the Captain's Bar were friendly and we got to know each other quite well and they even helped me do the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge. I must take a minute to mention Lena who greeted me every morning when I went for breakfast and seemed to run the service with friendly and almost military precision. The staff were all exceptionally friendly and I found that nothing was too much for the then when I asked questions at the reception or the bars.
Great hotel, friendly staff, fantastic location.

Room Tip: My room face the pool with a fantastic view of the port so I could see the cruise liners coming in a...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
9  Thank David D

Thank you for your kind review, I’m delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay in Madeira, our hotel and especially the service offered by our staff, they do their best to deliver the best service to all our guests. Lina is a much appreciated member of our staff and most dedicated to our guests.
I’m looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back

Reviewed 27 August 2014

Short trip for purpose of elderly mother's Birthday. Hotel exceptional in making our stay superb in everyway. Provided a Disabled Room upon request. Asked them to supply a bouquet for my Mother on the actual birthday, which they did and not only was that excellent, they too supplied a cake. Hotel spotless, facilities excellent. Reasonable prices overall. Breakfast good, beds very comfortable, quiet location, superb location near to the Old Town. Strongly considering returning for Christmas. Has the benefit of not accepting kids, noone under the age of 16 years can stay at the hotel!!! Wonderful!

Room Tip: We faced the garden which was very quiet
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank SueDaveDonk
Carla_Bacanhim, General Manager at Porto Santa Maria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2014

I’m delighted to learn that you had such a wonderful holiday in Madeira and chose Porto Santa Maria to celebrate your Mother’s birthday.
We are all looking forward to welcoming you to our hotel for Christmas

Reviewed 26 August 2014

Still on holiday as I write this review, not off to a good start when pre booked sea view room turns out to an angled sea view and not one of the many full on sea views available, some of the cheaper garden view rooms have a similar view of sea. Must admit room is quiet and staff friendly, problemwith key card quickly sorted, food is good entertainment so far not so, although the local area is a lot quieter at night than I expected there are plenty places to eat out. Previous comments about sunbeds having towels laid on them to reserve them are true and management are not doing much to sort the problem, today there more towels on beds than people in and around not only the pool but the whole hotel I think. I will be putting on a further review when holiday is finished hopefully things will have picked up by then hopefully

Room Tip: Check your sea view?
5  Thank copsha

Thank you for your review, I’m sad to hear that the room allocated did not completely correspond to your expectations, we do have sea view rooms facing different directions, not all are facing South, if you ever decide to visit Madeira and our hotel again, please contact me directly and I will do my best to allocate you a room according to your preferences.
We do advise in various locations about the recommendations regarding sun bed reservations, we will reinforce the information according to the hotel policy and our pool staff will give additional attention to the sunbeds reserved during the day.
I hope that overall you have enjoyed your stay and it will be a pleasure to welcome you back.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

My husband and I have just returned from our first visit to Madeira which was certainly not long enough one week .The Hotel was beautiful with room having excellent sea view and exceptionally clean and comfortable . We could not single out any member of the staff as they were all equally pleasant and very helpful .Only down side not long enough but very good reason to return to a great hotel .thanks to all staff members

Room Tip: Must have a sea view
1  Thank Edna N

Thank you for such a nice review, I'm so pleased to learn that the only down side was that it was not long enough.
It will be a great pleasure to welcome you back to our hotel, for a longer stay next time.