This was our first time in Maderia and we were not disappointed. The first thing that struck us was how clean the island was and this also applied to the hotel. The location was ideal, right by the sea and in the old town and the balcony gave views over the pool, beach and harbour where large ocean liners are regualr visitors. We booked the flexible eating option at the hotel which meant we could have some meal in the hotel and also explore the local area where there are numerous places it eat ranging from local fare to Chinese. You can choice which nights you have in the hotel on the day so it really gives the best of both worlds. Food in the hotel was excellent with a wide choice and being buffet style you can sample lots of different thing without worrying if you will like it or not. The menu had a different theme each night so there was always something new. There was a variety of entertainment everynight in the Bar. The service excellent - everyone was very friendy and all spoke good English and quicky learnt what you liked.
As all rooms are studio ones you can make tea and coffee anytime and if you want there is enough equipment to cook a simple meal - there is also a fridge which proved very useful for keeping drinks cold. The pool area and terrace was cleaned every day and there was plenty of room even in August - pool towels are also provided.
There is a very pleasent walk along the front past the cablecar to the marina and then onto the other end of the town where most of the hotel are situated. This end of the town is at a higher level and although the sea views may be better these hotel are all clustered together and you lose the atrmosphere of the old town. There is not a lot this end of town other than the hotels and the Casino, which has an excellent show 4 nights a week - we went twice and actually made a profit!!
We would recommend the hotel to anyone although most people seem to be in the more mature bracket and there were very few children while we were there. We shall certainly be returning in the not too distant future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Porto Santa Maria lies at the water's edge in the very heart of Funchal's old centre. Its close relationship to the sea, the outstanding and exclusive views over the harbour where the cruise ships dock, its picturesque surroundings and the unique flavours of its cuisine result in genuine urban tranquility. A congenial hotel offering 146 rooms, restaurant, bars, direct access to the promenade, outdoor pool, indoor pool, SPA, gym, parking...all in the heart of the city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , LoveHolidays, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Expedia, LateRooms, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Porto Santa Maria Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Porto Santa Maria Funchal
- Porto Santa Maria Hotel Madeira/Funchal