“Elsa, front of house is the best”
Review of Windsor Hotel

Windsor Hotel
Ranked #82 of 86 Hotels in Funchal
East Kilbride
“Elsa, front of house is the best”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I must congratulate The Windsor on the service offered by Elsa. Most professional and friendly front of house, showing an interest in the guests. A great asset to the hotel. I was not a guest in the hotel but was able to use the swimming pool facilities for a rate, which was fantastic yo use due to public lido being closed as roadworks in centre of Funchal. Hotel is great location in middle of Funchal and with roof top swimming pool is lovely.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank lynnecrg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Got to the room and needed a shower ~ it didnt work. Why don't chamber maids check this type of thing?
Complained to the receptionist who got a plumber out whilst we were out. She then told me it was a temp repair and it would take a further 4 days to get it properly fixed. Luckily, we were only staying 1 night.
The hotel was very busy and they obviously had totally under estimated the breakfast needs Noe cereal worth speaking of, orange squash, coffee machine empty, no bread. Very poor

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David0457

Travellers are raving about these Funchal hotels

Torquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2014

we enjoyed our stay .We found this time they had improved the restaurant and added a large room to seat everyone comfortably. The food we found well cooked with several choices .the staff are really very friendly and make you feel comfortable the receptionists are really helpful nothing is too much trouble .the waitresses are very good in fact all the staff are . overall we will stay there again .my husband says they could do with a bigger t v in the lounge so he can watch the football in the evenings (lol)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank maggie H
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Stayed in this hotel last month for 3 nights and it wasn't a good stay. This hotel claims to be 4 stars but I would give it 2 on a good day! The only good thing about this property is it's location, very centralised. The walls are so thin you can hear your neighbour like he was standing next to you so our sleep was pretty much disturbed every night. Hotel décor is very dated and old. To top it off we had ants in our bathroom and a horrible smell plus were greeted with a massive yellow paddle on the bathroom floor.
Please stay elsewhere!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BayernRulz
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2014

It's worth stepping back to take a good look at the outside of Hotel Windsor. The Art Deco design facade is quite stark and unusual in the cramped narrow street surroundings of Central Funchal. Move on in to the reception area which we felt was a little dingy and lacking in natural light compared to the rest of the Hotel. Three quite aggressive steps have to be negotiated first which would greatly benefit from a handrail of some sort.

The room we were allotted was pretty modest in size but not noisy even though close to one of the lift shafts. More modest, however, was the shower over bath. Enduring the clammy cold slap as the shower curtain clung steadfastly to bare flesh is an experience one would readily decline. The pillows were likewise very poor and should have been cast into the nearest skip years before. Nevertheless, the room was clean and well cared for and our requests for attention were always dealt with promptly and efficiently.

An excellent meal on the first night of traditional Madeiran cuisine from the hotel kitchen. Breakfast was basic continental style, which was adequate. A variety of alternative cooked breakfasts were available to buy should you so wish but few guests seemed to feel that necessary.

Overall, five out of ten and one of those was due to super friendliness of the 'front of house' staff to whom the hotel owners owe a great debt of gratitude. The pleasant rooftop sun terrace also came to the rescue along with some very sunny days. For those in search of things flora there's a slightly hidden courtyard on floor one. In winter it appeared to provide respite to the hotel's various collection of pot plants, but outside of winter time it could be a little botanical hotspot. For those with a vehicle the private parking space would have been am immense asset. We felt it was an hotel which would benefit from the owners actually staying in it for a few nights but that's probably good advice to any hotelier.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank TP128
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 December 2013

I visited Funchal as an alternative to a City Break/Christmas Markets type break and picked this hotel due to its central location in the old town. I agree with previous comments that this is probably not a 4* hotel, but then again I didn’t pay 4* prices.

I was also aware of the comments regarding the breakfast so this came as no surprise and so would be unfair of me to comment further except to say that it is as described in the reviews, and the tea really is that bad. I have never taken my own tea bags anywhere but if I was to return to this hotel and certainly would and ask for some hot water.

The good points however more than made up for this. The staff were pleasant and welcoming, especially Elsa or Elisa on reception who was an exceptionally pleasant and helpful lady. I just hope that I didn’t upset her when I said that I would definitely be returning if only to see if the tea had improved. A bit of English humour that was probably misplaced at that time so apologies Elsa or Elisa, no offence was meant (but the tea really is not good).

We were only there 4 nights and on half board. The food in the evening really was good, with two choices for starter, main and sweet and was cooked to order which is something I’ve not seen in ages. The food was that good I didn’t eat out once, although I probably would if I was there for a week – just for a change.

The location was just what we wanted for wandering around Funchal in the evening. The Christmas lights were lovely and the Christmas atmosphere around town likewise, and not an overpriced bratwurst bar in sight. We did take a bus ride to the hotel zone to revisit the Hole in one Bar. The whole area seemed very dead compared to when I was there in the summer and I’m really glad we were based where we were in the Windsor.

So for an alternative to a Christmas Markets break over on the continent I would give Funchal full marks as long as you’re not looking for a rowdy time. Live music, festive stalls, and Christmas lights all combine to give Funchal real charm over the break (and it’s warmer to).

I would definitely go back to the Windsor if I went again, for the location, the lovely staff, and good food (and to take Elsa/Elisa a card and chocolates).

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper perhaps ask for a room overlooking the courtyard.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

its supposed to be 4 stars but we would only rate it a 2/3 stars, the room was very basic, a lack of power points should you want to recharge anything. very noisy no double glazing to help muffle noise, you could not leave a window open. beds very creaky mattress too hard. breakfast choice very limited, tea was horrid, coffee not much better.we assume as the hotel seemed to cater mostly for germans that it suited them. Having said this the central location of hotel somewhat made up for the overall poor quality of the hotel

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple