We have recently returned from our 16th holiday at the Quintinha de Sao Joao and we were as equally impressed with this fantastic hotel and its staff as we were on our first visit in 2000. Almost all the staff are those originally employed when the QSJ opened in 1998 and they are like one big family in which guests are included. The Manager, Dr. Andre Barreto, describes the hotel as "Your home in Madeira". He, along with his indispensable deputy, Rosie Borges, goes to great lengths to ensure that each guest receives personal attention and is given whatever help is required.
Rosie is English, so is fully aware of the expectations of British guests and does her utmost to live up to them. She is more than capable of dealing with any eventuality. Ask her if you need to hire a car ~ she will get you the best deal. If Rosie should not be available, Catarina and the Reception staff are also well-qualified to provide the information you need.
Each Tuesday Dr. Barreto holds a cocktail party, when guests can talk to him and Rosie, as well as to each other, while being waited on by Antonio and the bar staff.
Since we first visited the QSJ, there have been some changes, all to provide extra facilities. There is a beautiful Spa, perfect for those needing to "chill out" and an indoor and outdoor heated pool. There is a well-equipped games room and a state-of-the-art gymnasium, free for guests to use. Bathrooms have been re-furbished. A modern TV and DVD player is in every room.
Unchanged is the quiet, peaceful atmosphere which pervades the hotel and the elegant decor and furnishings in the spacious rooms. Shelves holding books for light reading, reference, history and travel are found, especially on the third floor, where there are luxurious armchairs and settees in which to relax. Beautiful flower arrangements adorn the public areas. We are fascinated to watch Andre Barreto's mother displaying these so skilfully.
The gardens are a delight all the year round but our favourite time is late Spring, when the scent of Jasmine fills the air. The sun loungers and hammocks are most inviting !
The restaurant, A Morghadina, has maintained its high standard for the preparation and presentation of a variety of dishes. Carlo and the waiters and waitresses are always attentive, always smiling and cheerful. They are also interested to hear of our daily exploits. The breakfasts are out of this world, with more choice of cereals and fruits than one would normally expect. There is a good variety of cooked food which is prepared to individual requirements.
The Bar food is superb and also very well presented, at a very reasonable cost. Prices have been stable for several years. A luxurious alternative to eating in the Bar or Restaurant is to ask for Room Service, which is delivered every bit as elegantly as if we were in the Restaurant. After a long Levada walk in the mountains, we found it convenient and more relaxing to eat in our own room. A sumptuous spread, with silver service, was wheeled to our room and served by, in our case, Michael. Well worth the extra €5 !
The cleaning staff are efficient and friendly and they all take a pride in their work. There is an excellent, speedy Laundry service. Sofia, the Housekeeper, is anxious to ensure that nothing is overlooked and that the high standard of cleanliness in the rooms is maintained.
We cannot praise the QSJ and its staff enough and we look forward to our next visit in November.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built within the grounds of an historic "Quinta" of Funchal, Quintinha de Sao Joao resurrects perfectly the magic of the old Madeiran residences. There are 42 spacious rooms in total, all equipped with the most up-to-date facilities with splendid views over the gardens. Bar, restaurant, heated outdoor and indoor swimming pools and full Spa are included facilities. The careful attention to detail and the excellent personal service brings to life our motto "Home from Home." ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Expedia, Prestigia, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Quintinha Sao Joao reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Quintinha Sao Joao Funchal
- Quintinha Sao Joao Hotel Funchal
- Quintinha Sao Joao Madeira/Funchal