The welcome was efficient and formal, we arrived slightly early but there were no problems with early check in.
The room (standard with balcony) was large and well decorated and was situated in a quiet area, as requested, and had a very large bed which was quite comfortable. The bathroom was large and the shower (in bath) was quite powerful and had seemingly unlimited hot water.
The hotel has a games room with good quality table tennis (slightly too small area), pool (a little old) and chess. This was generally very quiet.
The outdoor pool was a good temperature for swimming 24C but it was not possible to swim lengths as it had obstructing stepping stones. It had leaves in but looked like it was cleaned often. There was an indoor pool and a gym too but I didn't go.
The hotel reception staff were all very helpful and one young lady (Andrea I think) was especially friendly and welcoming and let us play the piano in the bar. They arranged car hire, restaurant bookings, trip bookings and general navigation tips for us throughout our stay. The hotel provided free parking for our hire car.
The bar food was actually quite good and reasonably priced, the cocktails there were fine - could be improved with some crushed ice - and the staff very courteous and pleasant.
The restaurant was terrible. It was very expensive and served stale bread from the breakfast. We're glad we just had a small meal there one night. The staff were okay apart from the old female waitress who was very friendly and nice.
The breakfast was very good. The food was of good quality and there was lots of choice - fresh juices, fresh fruit (watermelon was a bit sour - should be cut fresh in the morning), cereals, nuts (best walnuts I've tasted), bread, pastries, cheese, cold meats, hot breakfast to order (quite good quality bacon and eggs), tea and coffee to order (they could get better tea and the coffee tasted strange).
The location of the hotel is close to the centre of Funchal between the big hotels in the West and the main streets. It was quiet at night and not far to walk home. The Dolce Vita supermarket is about 10-15 minutes walk away.
Overall, I think the hotel was outstanding value for money and the staff made the stay very easy and pleasant.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built within the grounds of an historic "Quinta" of Funchal, Quintinha de Sao Joao resurrects perfectly the magic of the old Madeiran residences. There are 42 spacious rooms in total, all equipped with the most up-to-date facilities with splendid views over the gardens. Bar, restaurant, heated outdoor and indoor swimming pools and full Spa are included facilities. The careful attention to detail and the excellent personal service brings to life our motto "Home from Home." ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Jet2Holidays , Expedia, Hotels.com, TravelUp, LoveHolidays, Odigeo, Priceline, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Hotel.de, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Quintinha Sao Joao reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Quintinha Sao Joao Funchal
- Quintinha Sao Joao Hotel Funchal
- Quintinha Sao Joao Madeira/Funchal