The hotel is beautifully furnished and the staff are a delight, always friendly and helpful. The ambience is quiet and the rooms are kept very clean. The gardens are beautiful and a credit to the gardeners that maintain them. The area around the outside pool is quite small with 20 loungers, the indoor pool is warm and very well maintained. Happy Hour at 6.30pm is a must to get to know other guests! The Manager's cocktail party was a nice gesture albeit we never saw the manager at all during our stay.
We stayed bed and breakfast but ate in the hotel 3 times but felt the menu may be rather limited if you were to eat there every night. As a previous reviewer has commented the 'Fish Night' was not a success for a lot of the guests. We were not informed when we booked a table and were more than a little surprised especially as my husband does not eat fish. Fortunately, it was soon remedied and we were offered the a la carte menu. Better communication to guests perhaps through information sheets on the breakfast tables would be really useful especially about events taking place in the hotel such as the wine tasting.
The 8-seater courtesy bus goes into Funchal at 10am & 2.30pm with returns at 12noon and 5.30pm, Monday to Friday; we found the times a bit restrictive and only used it once. Anyone with reduced mobility may need to use taxis as the location is very hilly. There are no local bars or shops in the area around the hotel. Everything is down hill.
We noticed there were a number of barking dogs at properties very close to the hotel, some left out at night, which could cause a nuisance although we appreciate it is difficult for the hotel to address this issue unless the dog owners are prepared to be co-operative.
If you want a well serviced hotel with personal service and individual style then this hotel will suit you well.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built within the grounds of an historic "Quinta" of Funchal, Quintinha de Sao Joao resurrects perfectly the magic of the old Madeiran residences. There are 42 spacious rooms in total, all equipped with the most up-to-date facilities with splendid views over the gardens. Bar, restaurant, heated outdoor and indoor swimming pools and full Spa are included facilities. The careful attention to detail and the excellent personal service brings to life our motto "Home from Home." ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Prestigia, Jet2Holidays , LoveHolidays, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Quintinha Sao Joao reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Quintinha Sao Joao Funchal
- Quintinha Sao Joao Hotel Funchal
- Quintinha Sao Joao Madeira/Funchal