“Great staff”
Review of Quintinha Sao Joao

Quintinha Sao Joao
Ranked #9 of 88 Hotels in Funchal
Reviewed 22 June 2008

We were really pretty disappointed with this hotel.
The noise next door ( we realise they can do nothing about it) was unbearable if you wanted to sit at the pool or on the bar terrace.
Worse than that was the fact that the hotal was creating noise of its own internally by refurbishing bathrooms whist they had guests.

We were woken at 8.30am on a Sat morning by banging from the room above.(having already complained to the reception staff on the Fri)

We were told there would be no work on the Sunday but returned from a walk to the same level of noise as Saturday and were unable to rest in our room without being driven mad.
The hotel has lovely gardens but there were workmen here too! .....building a spa for the hotel? ....so it appeared.

The 20 min steep walk into town is not for the unfit or infirm and its not the most scenic walk either. There's a courtesy bus but not on Sat and Sun.

The hotel was nice in an old fashioned way, very clean and the breakfasts and staff were really excellent. We didnt think it warrented a 5 star rating.

Our room had no view from either window due to the massive (and albeit lovely) tree directly outside.

If your planning to stay here wait until the next door build is complete, the hotel spa build is complete and the hotel bathrooms have all had an upgrade........then it might be the peacefull place we were hoping for.

Funchal and the rest of Madeira are truly fantastic.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
6  Thank hobdawg
abarreto, General Manager at Quintinha Sao Joao, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2011

We would like to put the record straight regarding the poor reviews on TripAdvisor during 2008.

The hotel next door to our Quintinha was experiencing a major refurbishment and subsequently caused us (and our guests) much inconvenience for about 18 months.

We are pleased to say that all work has been fully completed and calm and tranquility has been restored to the Quintinha de São João.

We thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff

André Barreto

Write a ReviewReviews (1,167)

Reviewed 12 April 2008

We booked Quintinha Sao Joao as a last minute decision as we felt we deserved a much needed break, we as always searched Trip Adviser and were quite impressed with the overall response that people had whilst staying at this 5* boutique hotel.
We stayed for the duration of one week and our party consisted of me, my wife and my daughter whom is 10 years of age. We booked B&B as this was all that was available to us at the time.
Maderia is a truly beautiful island, a massive mountain protruding from the Atlantic Ocean on a heading South West of Portugal, Quintinha is found in Funchal the capital of Maderia. Generally it is lush and green with quaint streets, boutique shops, bars and some fine restaurants, the locals are incredibly friendly and courteous.
I would recommend Maderia as a great location for anyone looking for a peaceful, quiet, relaxing holiday, it’s the perfect location for anyone looking to unwind, and being just 3h 30mins away so it’s not too far, budget flights are available now in the guise of Easy Jet.
Local Cuisine is varied and cater for all pallets, however I don’t feel that they cater for all pockets, the food is quite expensive as is the local drinks, a typical lunch consisting of 3 mains and 3 desserts with drinks comes out at about £60 and an evening meal for 3 with 3 courses and a bottle of wine plus soft drinks generally costs £80 - £120 unfortunately many of the restaurants don’t serve children’s portion’s. Whilst some of you may feel this is the going rate of a quality restaurant the food is not of the quality you would expect, it is under par and did not meet my expectations for the premium pricing they demanded. However I can highly recommend Riso, it’s a beautifully located resturant situated on funchals coastline perched about 80 foot above the shoreline, the food is equally as stunning as the setting, the restaurants menu consists of dishes that include rice in one form or another hence the name of the establishment, some of their methods are ingenious, we visited Riso a few times and was never failed to be impressed, the service is quite something also. Perfect for that special occasion!

Quintinha S. Joao prides its self on its 5* rating but I believe it falls quite short of this accreditation, whilst it does in theory tick all the correct boxes to be awarded the stars I would describe the hotel as a mediocre 4*.
Some of you whom have visited Quintinha may feel that statement is unjustified and I must say I was certainly impressed by the positive entries that were left in the guest comment books that were available to view in reception, so I’ll give you an example of were I felt let down by Quintinha, I’m a regular gym user, one of the stipulations of our booking of the hotel was that they had adequate facilities so I could burn off some of the over indulging that I planned to partake in whilst abroad, Quintinha boosted a “fitness center” upon inspection the “fitness center” consisted of a multi-gym that maxed out at 60kg, a set of weights ranging from 1kg – 4kg a broken cycling machine and a cross trainer hybrid that was totally useless, the room was not air conditioned and measured approx 9 foot by 15 foot (see pic). This in my opinion is not a “fitness center” nor is it offering adequate equipment for even a light user. Very disappointing!
Another example I can offer is the second stipulation when we booked the hotel, my wife requires internet access when we travel so she can keep an eye on her business interests. The hotel boosted wifi access from your room, obviously at an additional charge, the cost on the notice board in the lobby is 2 Euro’s an hour, my wife went to order the service for the duration of our stay to find that whilst no discount was offered the price actually increased by 33%, when my wife enquired as to why the price had increased the general manager informed her that the information on display was incorrect…it remained incorrect on display for the duration of our stay. For those whom are not technically minded or unaware of the pricing structure of internet broadband, we would have paid, had we taken them up on their service around £200 for the week, back in good old blighty I would pay that for an entire year’s subscription, so it’s quite pricey.
The room that we booked was a suite as there are three of us, the rooms were air conditioned clean and spacious with some nice furniture and decor, although we were also disappointed by the fact my daughter was given a “put you up bed” and my wife and I had two singles that were pushed together, the mattresses were as hard as stone, not to our liking, but each to their own. Our view was of a building site (see pic) which was not a huge problem for us, as we could look either side of the cranes and look at the marvelous mountain range in the back ground, although the noise did disturb us on a few of the mornings.
The mini bar was well stocked but expensive, £10 for a ¼ bottle of wine is on par with “claridges” and the hotel certainly isn’t that. Soft drinks are £1.70 – £2.00 for 330 ml.
Room service is reasonably priced and the food is quite edible however there is a 5 Euro charge for using it.
There are no coffee/tea making facilities in the rooms nor is there an iron, coffee/tea is obtained at the bar for 1.70E/2.00E respectfully, and ironing is done by house keeping at a price per item, to wash and iron a shirt is 7.50 Euro’s if you need it via the express system add 50% and they will have it too you in 12 hrs.
The main bar is well stocked with a variety of imported alcoholic drinks as well as soft drinks, it can be pricey a double Martell brandy and coke is about £12, though they do have an “happy hour” between 6.30pm and 7.30pm where drinks were 2 for the price of 1, however it always felt a bit to early to get hammered to me.
Another thing that niggled me was the pool, it was dirty, (see pic) it was dirty with vegetation debris when we arrived and it remained the same a week later, I never saw the pool receive any kind of sprucing whilst I was there, not to say it didn’t get done, though I am very skeptical as to whether it did. The lounges were made of wood with no padding of any sort, this could make you ache after a very short time, still it kept the Germans from hogging them all day.

To summarize, would I stay at Quintinha sao Joao again? NO

Would I stay in Funchal/Maderia again? Most definitely YES !

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
8  Thank solice

With regard to the comments regarding our fitness centre, we are pleased to report that we have added a fully functional Spa, outdoor swimming pool, and up-to-date gym. We have also covered over out indoor pool, thus making it an indoor facility. We also offer free Wifi connection in our Reception, bar and terrace areas.

Reviewed 12 March 2008

Although the building work over the road continues the hotel management have tried to minimise noise disturbance by giving rooms away from that side. We heard no noise at all from our room or from the bar/lounge areas. We didnt use the pool or sit outside during the day so it is possible the noise would be heard there, but from our point of view it was quiet and peaceful. The staff were very attentive and helpful in planning trips, giving bus timetables and altering menus to suit us. We ate in twice during our stay and the food was very good.
The hotel was an easy stroll down to the main town and we used the plentiful buses rather than taxis, to get about further.
A most enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Matilda60

We do, however, thank you very much for your kind comments and are so pleased to see that your holiday was not disrupted too much by the works.

We would be delighted to have the opportunity of showing you our new facilities.

Reviewed 9 February 2008

I can only re-iterate the other comments from January 2008. The noise from the building work from the next door hotel was totally unacceptable. You really could not get away from it ANYWHERE in the hotel. There were some lovely gardens and seating areas to eat or drink outside or by the pool-the weather was lovely for January but all to no avail as you simply had to leave the hotel after breakfast and stay away till dark!
The best day off the hoilday was Sunday when we could finally relax by the pool , have lunch, a drink and a swim and look forward to coming home on the Monday.
It was our first visit to Madeira and we loved the island, and the January sun but would not return to this hotel. I feel we should have been warned by the agents 'First Choice'. We registered a complaint with the very helpful rep and also wrote to First Choice immediately on our return on 14th January but as yet have had no reply. The location of the hotel wasn't ideal, though our room was lovely and the staff and service very good.All in all a disappointing holiday.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
6  Thank rary

Reviewed 17 January 2008

Have just returned from a week's stay at this hotel and our experience is that the place is lovely and the staff could not have been more pleasant or helpful. However, we would reiterate the most recent comments regarding the continuous noise generated because of the construction works taking place opposite the hotel. We endured loud drilling from 9am (sometimes earlier) until after 6pm (when it went dark) for six days of the seven we were there. This made it impossible to sit out on the balcony, by the pool or in the garden without being driven mad by the noise.

There is an official sign at the entrance to the construction site which states that the work is due for completion in October 2008, so we can only advise that anyone considering booking should check direct with the hotel about how noisy it might be on their chosen dates, so they can at least make an informed choice. We understand that it is no fault of the Sao Joao that there are major construction works in such close proximity to them (this happens regularly all over the place), but our stay was certainly blighted by this.

We would consider staying here again - but only once all these works have been completed.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Dorissey

We would be delighted if you would considered another holiday here and would love to show you our new facilities. Our staff, however, remain much the same.

Reviewed 15 January 2008

I was relieved to read the most recent review as we were disappointed with the hotel. Firstly I could not recommend this place for a relaxing break. The building work next door is a real problem so you cannot sit out on your balcony or by the pool. Road noise is also a problem. We booked this hotel because the outdoor pool was supposed to be heated. It did post signs that it was heated to 25c but this was just not the case. We gave up after a couple of days of being frozen solid. When planning this break I knew I had to do some work when away but was rather dismayed on arrival to see that the in-room Wi-Fi service was unavailable. Less than an hours use of the internet downstairs cost me over E15! Service in the hotel was fine but nothing really outstanding. I know a lot of people really like this hotel but really we can not say that we did. It is certainly overpriced for what it is.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with family
10  Thank IrishDolly

Reviewed 8 January 2008

I know I am going to upset regulars who stay at this hotel but I really am bemused with all the good write ups. Firstly we only stayed the one night so this is a very limited review based mainly on our suite. It was large but extemley dated and in need of a serious refurb, from painting to furnishing the very sparse rooms. The bath was disgusting the worst I have ever seen from any star hotel. Thick black mold surrounded it there was no
way I was going to sit in it and if I had seen it on check in I would have asked for another room. $200 euros is a lot to pay for such poor facilitys. ripped chair in the bedroom and writing desk was the extent of furnishing in a very large room, no extra touches.
Cant comment on the restaurant as ate out, had a drink in the very small bar area, staff were pleasant enough and drinks reasonably priced, pianist needed a few lessons on how to play the piano though. Pool area nice but very small and could be a problem in the height of summer as had about a dozen beds for 43 rooms. I would rate this no more than a 3 star hotel, maybe I was unlucky with the suite given but in anycase they should not be letting out a room in such disrepair and charging such a high price for the pleasure. Love madeira but would not stay at this hotel again or recommend it to friends.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled with family
8  Thank cuttsy

In addition, we have since rennovated our bathrooms and increased our facilities including a Spa, indoor pool, outdoor pool and gym.