This was our first trip to Maderia....... and as we would be arriving in the height of the season we spent a lot of time researching and looking for a hotel that offered peace and tranquillity, a hotel that was different from the norm. (Sorry to say did not see this website until too late!)
The Hotel, Quintinha De Sao Joao was a very nice hotel (smaller than the website photos show) as in the staff were very pleasant . It was clean and had some lovely decorative touches. The room was spacious and one could not fault the daily cleaning service. The breakfast was superb offering an excellent selection of both hot and cold food that was wonderfully prepared and presented. We cannot comment on the restaurant for evening meals as we dined out.
Now, unfortunately the downside....... It was VERY noisy... The hotel is situated right next to the main road so traffic could be heard from our room, the garden, the pool and the restaurant.... so tip number 1....close all windows! impossible sitting by the pool or in the garden!
BEWARE when walking down to the centre, it is steep and you need your wits about you as the traffic is fast and furious and footpaths limited. This does not help one relax! Tip 2...get a taxi back.....cheap and fast!
If visiting here in the near future check the building work.. IT WAS A NIGHTMARE ! Drilling and banging from as early as 7.00am until 7.30pm sometimes later in the evening....this is not what we were informed by the travel agent. Again spoiling the poolside visits and lounging in the beautiful garden.
The pool.. nicely situated, however, it is in a desperate need of an overhaul, the tiles in and around the pool were grimy, the sunbeds drab (some broken) and the cushions soiled and the decking loose and uneven in places.
The only person, Rosie, who held the font of all knowlege and was great was not always available and the staff did not seem to know revelant information...for example, They were not able to advise us at all about the European Rally taking place and subsequently we got stuck up a mountain! (story for another day!)
Games room ok, enough in there to do. The gym was not a gym! It just has a few very old pieces of equipment and the room is very small. The sauna was not operational.
Staff did not respond straight away to a problem arising with the toilet cistern and we had to keep calling the desk....eventually sorted.
All in all, a nice hotel, not really what I would call 5 star...would have been so much better if it was quiet!
And Maderia?...nice...more touristy than we thought..they all go to bed early so eat early as they pack up about 10 - 10.30pm
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built within the grounds of an historic "Quinta" of Funchal, Quintinha de Sao Joao resurrects perfectly the magic of the old Madeiran residences. There are 42 spacious rooms in total, all equipped with the most up-to-date facilities with splendid views over the gardens. Bar, restaurant, heated outdoor and indoor swimming pools and full Spa are included facilities. The careful attention to detail and the excellent personal service brings to life our motto "Home from Home." ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Booking.com, Expedia, LoveHolidays, Odigeo, Prestigia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, HotelsClick, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Quintinha Sao Joao reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Quintinha Sao Joao Funchal
- Quintinha Sao Joao Hotel Funchal
- Quintinha Sao Joao Madeira/Funchal