We spent a week here over Easter, which coincided with a major wedding anniversary.
We arrived early - about 11.00 am but were welcomed and looked after wonderfully, being given coffee on the terrace whilst they made our room ready.
This was how things continued as we found that all the staff went out of their way to be friendly, kind, and trying to ensure that you were enjoying your stay! There didn't seem to be any exceptions!
On our anniversary they brought us a bottle of bubbly and had made us a cake. We enjoyed both!
The bedroom was a good size with a superb bed, sitting area with a desk, minibar, tv etc. and a balcony with a table and two chairs overlooking the gardens.
There was a very nicely fitted marble bathroom with shower, bath, bidet and wc, plus all the bits and pieces you expect in a first class hotel.
Everything was spotless and was kept so throughout, as were all the public areas.
Breakfast was a very good buffet with selections which should cover any taste, and included some unusual tropical fruits, plus the availability of cooked options such bacon, sausage, eggs etc.
We ate dinner a couple of times which was good quality and interesting. The style is Goan so if you are a curry lover you will be in heaven.
Other more international dishes are also available and these are well cooked and presented. Service is friendly and attentive.
The hotel is about ten minutes walk to the town, some local restaurants, the casino, and the gardens overlooking the port. Fascinating if you like to look at the cruise ships! Taxis are cheap and plentiful.
If you, like us, prefer smaller more intimate hotels, still high quality, but where you are not just one of 400 or 500 guests, you will like this hotel.
The staff are perhaps the best team we have come across in quite a few years - we will return!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built within the grounds of an historic "Quinta" of Funchal, Quintinha de Sao Joao resurrects perfectly the magic of the old Madeiran residences. There are 42 spacious rooms in total, all equipped with the most up-to-date facilities with splendid views over the gardens. Bar, restaurant, heated outdoor and indoor swimming pools and full Spa are included facilities. The careful attention to detail and the excellent personal service brings to life our motto "Home from Home." ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Prestigia, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), LoveHolidays, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Quintinha Sao Joao reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Quintinha Sao Joao Funchal
- Quintinha Sao Joao Hotel Funchal
- Quintinha Sao Joao Madeira/Funchal