Just returned from a nice week at the QSJ and I can see why It gets such good reviews. The majority of the hotel staff are very polite and in Rosie they really have someone that guests can turn to for advise on finding the best restaurants, organising trips and offering any advice you may need to help you get the best out of your holiday.
The Rooms are very nice, well cleaned and spacious. The hotel has a well equipped gym, games room with a pool table and a table tennis table. There are 2 pools, one in the grounds and one on the 2nd floor, both are very clean, the hotel provides towels near both pools.
Breakfast was nice, a good continental selection and they also provide a hot menu as well. The bar area is relaxing and the hotel offers a happy hour from 6-30 until 7-30, but they are flexible with these times if you go out.
We did have a few niggles though,
1) on our arrival our room wasn't ready, we were given a brief tour of the grounds and then asked to wait for someone to let us know when our room was ready (by the pool bar), we spent around 22 euros on a few drinks and 2 sandwiches, on reflection we felt that the hotel should of offered a complimentary refreshment as this was the hotels error and not something you want after a long journey.
2) we ate once in the restaurant and found it very disappointing to say the least. I found the restaurant expensive and the quality of food simply not up to the standard you would expect at the prices being charged. I had the pork vindaloo which rather bland and certainly not worth 18/19 euros, my wife tried a cod dish was a bit better, but, the waiter removed the plate before she actually finished!. I found the hotels food rather disappointing in general, the quality was certainly not worthy of their prices.
3) Although the grounds are very nice, there was a bit too much road noise and occasional dog barking for my liking.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built within the grounds of an historic "Quinta" of Funchal, Quintinha de Sao Joao resurrects perfectly the magic of the old Madeiran residences. There are 42 spacious rooms in total, all equipped with the most up-to-date facilities with splendid views over the gardens. Bar, restaurant, heated outdoor and indoor swimming pools and full Spa are included facilities. The careful attention to detail and the excellent personal service brings to life our motto "Home from Home." ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Jet2Holidays , Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Odigeo, LoveHolidays, TravelUp, Priceline, Travel Republic (UK), 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Quintinha Sao Joao reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Quintinha Sao Joao Funchal
- Quintinha Sao Joao Hotel Funchal
- Quintinha Sao Joao Madeira/Funchal