We stayed at the hotel in mid November on a half board basis. The hotel is situated about 0.7 km rfrom the town centre a 15min walk down, a 30 min walk up and a few minutes local bus or taxi ride . The hotel provides a courtesy bus twice a day which we didnt use.
The hotel is small three storeys high and set in very pleasant gardens, Our room was on the ground floor so the views were limited but not unpleasant. There are two pools, an outdoor supposedly heated but too cold for me and an indoor pool which we used daily, warm with nice comfortable poolside beds . The weather during our stay was generally fine and we sat out a few times by the outside pool and spa area, the only downside is that this area was completely overlooked by a new tall hotel; the garden terrace afforded a much more private area. The gym is small but adequately equipped for most holiday type workouts. Our hotel bedroom was large and nicely furnished in a traditional style with high quality bed linen. The free wi-fi in the lounge and terrace was a valued facility.
The big plus point for the hotel is the service provided by the staff; the front desk, bar and terrace staff were outstanding. Rosie the local info/travel advisor was always courteousand most helpful.
We partucularly enjoyed the garden terrace and bar which provided both snack food and very reasonablly priced drinks; many of the guests used the bar for pre dinner drinks in a comfortable and relaxing environment with an excellent ambience.
The only downside to the hotel is the rather small dining room which provides a functional rather than elegant dining experience. The hotel was full during our stay and the capacity of the dining room at its limit and rather cramped. The table d'hote dinner was generally good if not exciting the menu based upon fresh produce provided mainly local dishes. The food was standard 4 star hotel fare, the wine list contained both local and international wines at reasonable prices.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Quintinha Sao Jao and would recommend it if you have a preference for the 'boutique' hotel rather than a large sea front high rise .
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built within the grounds of an historic "Quinta" of Funchal, Quintinha de Sao Joao resurrects perfectly the magic of the old Madeiran residences. There are 42 spacious rooms in total, all equipped with the most up-to-date facilities with splendid views over the gardens. Bar, restaurant, heated outdoor and indoor swimming pools and full Spa are included facilities. The careful attention to detail and the excellent personal service brings to life our motto "Home from Home." ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, LoveHolidays, TravelUp, Prestigia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Quintinha Sao Joao reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Quintinha Sao Joao Funchal
- Quintinha Sao Joao Hotel Funchal
- Quintinha Sao Joao Madeira/Funchal