“Love this Hotel”
Review of Alto Lido Hotel

Alto Lido Hotel
Ranked #44 of 88 Hotels in Funchal
Reviewed 16 April 2014

My husband and i have enjoyed our stay in this hotel for 2 years now and we are really looking forward to going back in November.The staff are very nice the rooms are always spotlessly clean.The reception staff have always been helpful and very friendly.I can't wait to get back there.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Stephanie P
Miguel G, Front Office Manager at Alto Lido Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback, we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

my wife and i have just spent 8 fantastic days in the alto lido hotel madeira
if you are thinking of going to madeira i would recommend this hotel
great food great staff and great room
and funchal is a wonderful city every thing you need

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank doogle57

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Stayed here for a week on a Monarch holiday. It far exceeded our expectations, considering the low cost of the holiday. The rooms were spacious and very clean. Views not that great but you could see the sea and local allotments. Furniture a little dated. None of these things bother me or my fellow travellers as we spent the majority of time out and about. The hotel staff were very helpful and pleasant. The breakfast were very good, buffet style and eat as much as you want. The location was good as it was an easy half hour down hill walk to town. The bus at the end of the road were cheap and frequent.I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.
Stayed there between 28/03/14 and 04/04/14.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank Jennygib

Reviewed 27 March 2014

Stayed here for 5 days recently in a nice room on the 10th floor overlooking the new allotments ( my choice) I also had a side sea view. I found this room well located and outlook interesting although there was quite a lot of road noise with balcony doors open.

The reception staff were friendly and helpful as was the maid but I cannot really say the same for the restaurant breakfast staff. I also cannot speak very highly of the breakfasts which were very basic. Suggestions provide larger plates for cooked items and dont cook to death and also provide cold not warm milk for cereals with a better choice.

The hotel seems to be in the budget end of the market with mainly German guests and as long as it offers value at a modest price it is worth supporting. Nonetheless it carries a 4 star rating which I believe is higher than merited and if prices increased nearer to some other 4 star properties I would quickly vote with my feet, particularly as I missed having a garden or green area to wonder around.

Nonetheless I enjoyed my stay here as I invariably do in Madeira.

Room Tip: go for higher rooms
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank AllenGAllenG

Reviewed 25 March 2014

The hotel is in a good location, plenty of shops and restaurants nearby. First impression inside is the hotel is a bit dismal looking (seemed quite dark) but very clean. The reception staff were friendly and polite. We had a room on the 13th floor. On exiting the lift there is a spectacular view over the sea! Our room was quite large had a side sea view and was pleasant enough. It was very clean but felt like it needed a bit of an update! The worst thing were the beds - oh my were they uncomfortable, even the sunbeds felt more comfortable!! Glad I was only staying a week as I didn't get one decent nights sleep. Pool area was ok, inside pool seemed rather chilly to say it was supposed to be heated! You have to pay to use the sauna (6 euros per person for half an hour) and also the Jacuzzi (5 euros per person for half an hour).

We never ate in the restaurant in an evening as it was buffett style food an they charged 21 euros a head! Breakfast was OK. Cold meats and cheeses were nice and there was fresh fruit which was lovely but the hot food was not very hot or good! Coffee was out of a machine which was awful and kept breaking down. Staff on the whole were pleasant, our maid was lovely and always spoke and seemed very jolly! The evening entertainment was a bit of a joke and drinks were very expensive in the bar (2.7 euros for a can of warm pepsi!) All in all we had a relaxing stay but nothing about it was memorable! I personally would not go back to stay there.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mrc24

Reviewed 9 March 2014

I stayed at this hotel with my son in November 2013 for a week and found it to be pleasant and had a good stay.

I have to say we stayed in low season so our experience was when it was very quiet.

Room - Our room was a twin and had ample room to move around in without bumping into each other. Clean and tidy room and facilities. The balcony was facing a block of flats next door however as we didn't spend too much time in the room / on the balcony this really didn't matter to us.

Eating - we found the restaurant to be pleasant food, clean and good service. The variety of food was adequate at breakfast time - had all the normal hot and cold foods on offer with plenty of variety. The only thing I would say is the hot food caters for all nationalities so don't expect your standard English bacon or sausage! We enjoyed our breakfasts and only ate at breakfast time so can't comment on other meal times.

Swimming pools - The time of year meant the outdoor pool looked a little cold so we only swam in the indoor pool. It was adequate size for a decent swim although I can imagine at peak times it could seem too small. The outdoor pool looked very small given the size of the hotel.

Sun lounging - we didn't really have the weather to sunbathe much (very mixed weather) but when we did we found the sun bathing areas were good sun traps. If it were high season and the hotel full these areas might not be large enough.

Bar - we only used the bar a few times early evening but found it adequately stocked and they had a good choice of cocktails. Each day had it's own cocktail of the day which was a little cheaper than usual so seemed to offer good value.

Entertainment - as we only used the bar for early evening drinks we didn't really see much of the entertainment. The bits we did see I wouldn't have rated more than 2/5 - lower than average, this may have been due to it being low season. I was disappointed that you had to pay to play snooker/billiards, especially considering it was low season and the hotel seemed barely a third full and demand was non existent.

Games room / Gym / Sauna - forget it! The gym equipment was old, tired and mostly broken, the games room seemed to consist of a table tennis table only and the sauna wasn't open while we stayed (maybe due to low season - not sure)

Wifi - good strength in the lobby area. Would be good to see this extended to all the rooms as well.

Staff - very pleasant, knowledgeable staff with helpful information on local attractions / things to do.

Courtesy bus - available about 3 times a day and was a reliable bus service (even considering it was low season and less than half dozen people were on it each day). It took around 10 minutes to get to the town centre on the bus.

Location - the hotel is quite far from the centre, we walked it a few times and seemed to take approximately 30 minutes. If you like promenade/ coastal walks then there is a fantastic walk just a few minutes from the hotel. Walk right up the coast for a good hour and half.

The hotel appeared to cater for all nationalities so if you like all British hotels this is probably not for you.

As we stayed low season it was full of 'oldies', probably having (like us) a cheap holiday! We laughed about it being a retirement hotel when we first got there however the longer we stayed the lower the average age became. By the time we left there were people (and kids) of all ages.

Would I stay again? - Yes but only with the right people. It offered us value for money for what we wanted, a more picky person would probably stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: We stayed on 13th floor and never heard a peep from anyone but the hotel was less than a third full...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank MrLew99

Reviewed 27 February 2014

Really nice hotel with friendly staff. Room was excellent ( we were lucky enough to have 2 which were joined by a kitchenette). Balcony overlooked the sea and hotels opposite. Plenty of restaurants nearby and the Indian restaurant just a short walk from the hotel was excellent. Good servings and the best chicken tikka I have ever had. Quite a long walk into the town ( 30 to 45 minutes depending on how fit you are). We walked down but got taxis back which were reasonably priced. Bar at the hotel was good and entertainment with dancing some evenings. This was a timeshare exchange through RCI/Pestana and is one of the best exchanges I have had. Would definitely go there again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple